Internet Blocked at Office

Hi

My office just blocked all internet access and I am trying hard to figure out how to continue using my Evernote.  Evernote will no longer sync on my office laptop.

I consider myself a heavy user as I use Evernote on my two mobiles, my tablet and my 2 laptops  - one in the office, and another at home.  It is easy to create notes  on one device and read on another.  Unfortunately all Internet access at the office is blocked due to security reasons and there is no way to by-pass the proxy (that blocked too) so I have one major source of my daily notes cut off.  I used to update threads of conversations, discussion, my PPT work in progress, name cards etc, etc into my office PC.  It's easy with i can cut and paste from my office email.  Away from the desk - i use my tablet to read, my mobile to write notes and go back to office PC to tidy the notes.

Does anyone have a solution?  I tried switching my office Evernote database onto my SSD drive and was hoping I could bring it home, connect it to my home laptop using that same SSD database.  At least all my files can sync.  But I can't find a way to open the SSD database on my home Evernote.  There's an "Open Database" in Option but it is not intuitive to me.. i get a directory and i pick SSD Evernote Database directory.. nothing happens.

I keep my notes tidy with tables, formated text,  relevant files / pics etc.  It is too cumbersome to even try it on my tablet / mobile.

Any suggestion?  I realise my portable SSD solution comes with a 12 hour lag -- i need to get home to tidy my files but i hope someone can share a more elegant solution.

Thanks so much

- Johnny

• Level 5*

No. You need internet access. If they have blocked it, you should consider they don't want you storing company information or work product in the cloud anywhere. It may make work more difficult for you, and cutting off internet access seems a bit extreme to me, but that is the company's choice, and if it makes you more inefficient and takes longer to get stuff done, they will have to pay for that, literally, in reduced output. Or, even in turnover after what seems such a draconian measure.

But in the end, everything you do at work belongs to the company, and it seems they want 100% of that on their servers, isolated from the internet.

On 7/24/2018 at 11:38 AM, EdH said:

cutting off internet access seems a bit extreme to me

I agree with this. I hope they have a great reason for this which I cannot think of any. In this day and age, especially bring your own app to work deal Evernote promotes, this does not make sense to me at all. 

I wouldn't be able to operate without Evernote at my office. 

I would use the hotspot from my phone or have a discussion with the decision makers.

Thanks so much for the replies.   It does look like internet segregation will be permanent.

I am using Evernote on my Sony tablet off a public network at the office.  Not ideal but the tablet has my office email as well although it can't log into the office network.  All my notes are written on the tablet and mobile.  And i email presentation and materials to my Evernote account when necessary.  Constant housekeeping required but i can't imagine life without EN now.  It will be like going back to Blackberry days.

On a related note, what is the suggestion for the alternate device - since office PC is EN unfriendly.  Sounds an overkill to have two PCs on my desk.  Is Surface Pro a good choice or will a Android tablet with an external keyboard suffice?  Notes housekeeping still done on my PC at home.  No choice.

Yes - i do sound desperate to hold onto my Evernote.

Thanks again.

• Level 5*

An Android tablet or iPad are both good Evernote devices, but they are limited vs a desktop like a Surface Pro or Macbook:

• Cannot import files (Windows feature) automatically.
  • Cannot merge notes
  • Cannot bulk edit metadata (selecting multiple notes and tagging/moving)

I am not sure what the editing differences are. I cannot create tables on my iPhone, but that may be a phone vs tablet thing and not an iOS vs desktop platform thing.

And my list above is far from complete. Just want initially comes to mind.

Archived