Bug "Showing 2 notes"

Hey everybody!

I think, I found a bug, maybe you can help me how to solve it:

I click on an intern evernote link to go to another note. This note is in a different notebook. I want evernote to show me just the list of notes in this notebook. But it results in showing the note list with more then 200 notes and not just only those within the notebook. After a few seconds it does not show me the note anymore but only the page I uploaded.

I use the newest version of evernote for windows.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks a lot, Chris

problem evernote.png

• Level 5
3 hours ago, chrcam said:

I click on an intern evernote link to go to another note. This note is in a different notebook. I want evernote to show me just the list of notes in this notebook. But it results in showing the note list with more then 200 notes and not just only those within the notebook. After a few seconds it does not show me the note anymore but only the page I uploaded.

Welcome to the forums, @chrcam! I'm sorry, though, but I'm having a hard time understanding this. Clicking an internal Evernote link (of the form evernote:///view/numbers/a000/many letters & numbers/many more letters & numbers/; this is usually reformatted in a note as the title of the linked note) should take you directly to that note, no matter what notebook it is in. It will not and should not show you a list of notes in that notebook, or a list of all notes. I'm also not sure what you mean by "the page you uploaded." The screenshot you posted shows the result of clicking on two notes in the note list, which doesn't seem to be what you were asking about. So I'm just uncertain what you're trying to do.

Hey @Dave-in-Decatur

Thank you for your answer. I try to explain my problem more detailed: I click on the intern evernote link which takes me direct to the note "Adonia" like in the picture below, that still works! But at the same time another note is selected in the left part (see the circle in the screenshot: evernote shows me the note "Adonia" but in the list the note "1. Johannes 4,7-16a" is selected as well). In that list now those two notes ("Adonia" and "1. Johannes 4,7-16a") are selected. I do nothing else and after a few seconds it results in showing the page that I have selected two different notes. But I have not selected two notes at any time!!!

Can you understand my problem now better?

evernote problem.png

• Level 5*

I think that what's happening here is that if you are viewing the notes in a particular notebook (say by clicking on the notebook in the notebook list), and in one of those notes there's a note link to a note in a different notebook, if you click on that note link, it takes you to that note, but it also changes the context to [All notebooks], rather than the original notebook or that of the new note that you just navigated to. Seems not unreasonable, as there's no obvious expected behavior. If you want to go to the notebook associated with the link note, then you can Shift_click on its notebook in the notebook editor. Note that you can also open a note link in a separate window, and retain the current notebook context.

• Level 5

But, @jefito, this does not account for the unexpected selection of an altogether different note in the Notes List, and the subsequent display of the screen with both notes selected.

@chrcam, what type of computer are you using? Is it perhaps a laptop with a trackpad? I have a laptop like that, and more than once I have experienced that the slightest touch from my wrist on the trackpad has caused unexpected movement/clicking of the mouse pointer, with selection of text or another item.

PS. @chrcam: "Mut ist Angst die gebetet hat!" -- schön!

@jefito: And there is no possibility that evernote changes the context not to [all notebooks] but just to the new notebook of the note which I have navigated to?

@Dave-in-Decatur: Yes I am using a laptop with a trackpad. But I also use an extra keyboard and a mouse. Furthermore, evernote every time selects two notes when I want to navigate to another note in another notebook. I do not think that the trackpad is the reason for this behaviour. And thanks, I also really like this saying :)

• Level 5
5 hours ago, chrcam said:

Yes I am using a laptop with a trackpad. But I also use an extra keyboard and a mouse. Furthermore, evernote every time selects two notes when I want to navigate to another note in another notebook. I do not think that the trackpad is the reason for this behaviour.

This does sound like something unusual is happening with the software. If you haven't done this yet, try completely exiting the program (Datei menu > Beenden). You might even want to reboot the computer before restarting Evernote. Sometimes some erroneous code gets "caught" in the computer's memory and can only be removed with a restart.

If that doesn't work, then the next and most drastic step would be to uninstall Evernote and reinstall it. Before doing that, be sure to synchronize. If you have any local notebooks, it would be good to copy their contents into a synchronized notebook, and then synchronize; I am not sure what happens to them when you uninstall. When you reinstall Evernote, it will download all your notebooks and notes from the Evernote server, which can take a long time. Obviously this is only worth considering if nothing else solves the problem.

@Dave-in-DecaturThank you for your advice. I deleted the program, downloaded the newest version from the official evernote web page but the problem with the two selected notes still occurs. Is there any possibility to contact evernote directly despite I use just the "basic" programe?

• Level 5

I'm sorry that that didn't work! Support via chat and email is only available to Premium subscribers. (They used to use Twitter for non-Premium support, but that seems no longer to be an option.) It is possible to subscribe to Premium for just one month and then return to Basic. If the problem is very serious for you, this might be your best option.

• Level 5*

Don't know that this is the same, but for some YEARS now, EN randomly goes to the multi note selection screen.  Haven't reported it since for the life of me I don't know what the circumstance is.  Basically I select a note after a search or using a shortcut, the note is visible in the note panel and suddenly the multi select panel appears.  Looks similar to the OP is all I'm saying.  Next time I'll see if I have an links in the selected note.  Sweet mysteries of life...

• Level 5*
On 7/18/2018 at 5:54 AM, chrcam said:

@jefito: And there is no possibility that evernote changes the context not to [all notebooks] but just to the new notebook of the note which I have navigated to?

There's always a possibility, but maybe that particular option is something they already considered, and opted for [All Notes].

On 7/18/2018 at 5:54 AM, chrcam said:

Gah, you're right. Missed that totally. Maybe that's why I am a bug creator software developer and not a QA person. That seems like a bug: the note navigated to shoud also be the one displayed as selected in the note list, regardless of the note context that's chosen.

@CalS: Great, that I am not the only person with that problem! When you found a solution contact me, please!

@jefito: Do you know, if I could change the settings from the context [all notes] to [notes from the same notebook] in the programe code of evernote?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, chrcam said:

@jefito: Do you know, if I could change the settings from the context [all notes] to [notes from the same notebook] in the programe code of evernote?

Well, since you don't have the program code of Evernote for Windows, even if you were technically capable of making the change, I don't see how it's possible. There's certainly no user visible setting to govern that behavior.

Archived