Changing the email address for my EN account - fails

Last week, in the EN website I logged into my account and changed my password.  A few days later, I logged in with newpassword and it worked

Today, I tried (but failed) to change my email address on my EN account from, let's call it, oldmail@whatever.com to newmail@whatever.com. 

When I first obtained EN, several years ago, I assigned oldmail@whatever.com to it and I never tried to change that - until today.

Today, I opened the window wherein to change my email. It showed oldmail@whatever.com as the email address for my EN account, so far so good.

I inserted newmail@whatever.com into the appropriate box, but when I hit ENTER it says  "this email is already in use".  I looked at my inbox for newmail@whatever.com and there is no email from EN about my settings, or anything else.  

What does "this email is already in use" mean?  How can I change my email to newmail@whatever.com?

thanks

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, pleasemakeitwork! said:

What does "this email is already in use" mean?  How can I change my email to newmail@whatever.com?

It means there is an account using that email address.
You will need to login to that account and change the email so it's free for you to use.

I recently created the email address newmail@whatever.com so I am the only one using it.  I've had no problems logging into it and using my whaterer.com email. So, as far as whatever.com is concerned, I am the unique owner of newemail@whatever.com and all is well.  How can it be that some other person is using newmail@whatever.com as the email for that person's EN account? I am totally confused. (not by you, but by the situation)

thanks to everyone who has responded thus far.  Maybe I have not explained the problem well, or maybe I am too clueless to understand the replies but …. 

I have just one EN account and I have nothing to combine it to (with?) but even if I wanted to combine accounts - which I never would want to do - I have no idea how to go about doing the combining. My issue arises (as far as I know) solely from being unable to change my EN email from oldmail@whatever.com to newmail@whatever.com

My email oldmail@whatever.com is the account being used on my EN account and I know this because my account settings show that oldmail@whatever.com is the account. And, newmail@whatever.com is not being used by me anywhere within EN. If person X's EN account is using newmail@whatever.com I do not know how to get that email de-coupled from X's EN.

It looks like I will have to create a new email account at whatever.com and use that new account instead of newmail@whatever.com for EN purposes.  If there is some other work-around, I'd be grateful for a suggestion.  Thanks again.
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, pleasemakeitwork! said:

How can it be that some other person is using newmail@whatever.com as the email for that person's EN account?

It's not important as to the how and why.

Access the account and free up the email address.

59 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Access the account and free up the email address.

Thanks, but I am an nontechy so I need a little translation.  

"access the account".  If this refers to newmail@whatever.com, I use this account all day long for email.  When I use this account, there is no indication that I can see that the account is being used for any EN purpose. 

"free up the email address" What steps are "free up"?

Maybe …. You are recommending that I enter my EN account settings, select "manage email" and delete the entry for newmail@whatever.com.  I suppose that the steps would be to change the email address to a blank, no email address at all. This would leave the email entry blank. Then I should exit EN, and then go back  in, and then fill in the email address blank with newmail@whatever.com.  This makes sense to me, assuming that EN would permit the existence of a blank for the email address.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, pleasemakeitwork said:

Thanks, but I am an nontechy so I need a little translation ... "access the account"

Go to the Evernote website at www.evernote.com

• Login with email id newmail@whatever.com
    If you don't know the password, follow the Forgot Password process
  • select "manage email" and delete the entry for newmail@whatever.com. 
    You won't be able to leave a blank email; have a throwaway address to use

Archived