I'm having so many issues with evernote on windows 10.  It's been happening for weeks; way before this recent problem they're mentioning.  But maybe since the last release?  I don't know when that was in comparison.

Basically some notes I click on take forever to open.  Now admittedly, I think my internet has been having issues, but I don't see how the internet should be an issue if I'm not syncing.  All the notes should be stored locally on my drive.  So that shouldn't cause evernote to hang, right?  Should I turn off auto-sync? (I have it set to every 15 minutes)  

Is there a way to "repair" a note that might be causing issues?  For example, my "to do list" note is constantly a problem.  I have been editing it since 2014.

• Level 5*
On 7/8/2018 at 5:02 PM, qofmiwok said:

I'm having so many issues with evernote on windows 10.  It's been happening for weeks; way before this recent problem they're mentioning.  But maybe since the last release?  I don't know when that was in comparison.

Basically some notes I click on take forever to open.  Now admittedly, I think my internet has been having issues, but I don't see how the internet should be an issue if I'm not syncing.  All the notes should be stored locally on my drive.  So that shouldn't cause evernote to hang, right?  Should I turn off auto-sync? (I have it set to every 15 minutes)  

Is there a way to "repair" a note that might be causing issues?  For example, my "to do list" note is constantly a problem.  I have been editing it since 2014.

Are you still having issues?  What version of EN are you running?

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, ReBo said:

problems with hanging SYNC

it does not seem to sync. 

any ideas?

windows 10 installation.

Which version of EN?  What are you seeing that tells you no syncing?  Red exclamation on the sync icon?

6 minutes ago, CalS said:

Are you still having issues?  What version of EN are you running?

I upgraded to the new "rolled back" EN and it's been better.  6.13.14.7474 (307474) Public (CE Build ce-48.0.5483)  

Some notes still open slowly so I don't think that's related though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CalS said:

Which version of EN?  What are you seeing that tells you no syncing?  Red exclamation on the sync icon?

i m using 6.13.14.7474 seems that i goes into a continues loop, as i was watching the log file , it goes from 90% back to 22% 

47 minutes ago, qofmiwok said:

I upgraded to the new "rolled back" EN and it's been better.  6.13.14.7474 (307474) Public (CE Build ce-48.0.5483)  

Some notes still open slowly so I don't think that's related though.

what is rolled back? the version u r mentioning is the same i m running. don't know what u mean

14 minutes ago, ReBo said:

what is rolled back? the version u r mentioning is the same i m running. don't know what u mean

There were notes on their twitter feed saying they've been having problems and rolled back some changes, so I downloaded the latest version which included rolling back those changes.

This has been an issue for a year and a half at least. Don't let anyone con you into thinking it's an issue with your computer, internet, or anything else - it's purely the Evernote client for Windows.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
14 hours ago, Tamaru said:

This has been an issue for a year and a half at least. Don't let anyone con you into thinking it's an issue with your computer, internet, or anything else - it's purely the Evernote client for Windows.

I don't know who's conning anyone; but in fact this is not happening to everyone. I have no idea how many people are experiencing it, but I'm among the fortunate who are not. It may be some combination of factors involving the Evernote Windows client, number and types of notes, Internet connection, Windows version, hardware, and who knows what else that causes these dramatic slowdowns. It's a real problem, but not a universal one; and posting your thoughts about it in multiple threads doesn't really help the community at large.

18 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I don't know who's conning anyone; but in fact this is not happening to everyone. I have no idea how many people are experiencing it, but I'm among the fortunate who are not. It may be some combination of factors involving the Evernote Windows client, number and types of notes, Internet connection, Windows version, hardware, and who knows what else that causes these dramatic slowdowns. It's a real problem, but not a universal one; and posting your thoughts about it in multiple threads doesn't really help the community at large.

The fact that it's not a universal issue is irrelevant - it's a consistent issue that is well documented and has affected many users for the past 19 months. Here's some conclusions we can draw from evidence:

• There was a version of Evernote in which this was not an issue. Now it is. This suggests this is a problem with the client, and not people's hardware.
  • There is a current workaround that severs Evernote's connection to the internet, and many people in the thread I linked in my above post have reported that this solves the slowdown issue, once again suggesting this is a problem with the client.
  • I can consistently edit and render large files on Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects on my computer, both of which should be more intensive actions than opening a note in Evernote, yet the former causes no lag or slowdown, and the latter does. Just how much juice does a notetaking app need?
  • The slowdown issues are not present on the Mac client, so unless they are vastly different software for some reason, it seems this is a bug in the Windows client of Evernote in particular.

All of the above is why I describe anyone's attempts at trying to scapegoat an affected person's machine in respect to this issue as a "con." The fact that EN is constantly full of bugs and every new update seems to bring new ones also leads me to have little faith that this is anything but a client issue.

As for why I posted it in multiple threads, the fact that it's been 19 months and there's not even been a peep from Evernote staff about the issue is disgraceful. Several people have reported that EN has been rendered unusable to them because of this issue, yet the priority seems to fall to frivolous things like emoji support. My posting in multiple threads is simply to draw attention to this issue, and EN's lack of response. It helps the community at large because it draws attention to the problem, and if it is ignored, it draws attention to how EN chooses to handle user concerns. People can draw their own conclusions after that, but I frankly expect more from a service I pay for. Your comment, on the other hand, seems to be trying to detract me from mentioning an issue that has affected many users, and keeping quiet about bugs not only doesn't help the community at large, it negatively affects it. Yes, you are fortunate that it doesn't affect you, but just because you aren't affected doesn't change the fact that many users are.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@Tamaru, responding to various points in your post:

I suggested it may be a combination of factors: the Evernote Windows client is definitely involved (your evidence supports this), but there must be other factors that may be difficult to pin down precisely. If the client were the only factor, then it would be happening to everyone, or at least nearly everyone. The fact that there are likely to be multiple factors involved means that it may take more time to figure out what's going on. And saying that there are factors other than just the EN client involved is not a "con," but a statement of a plausible opinion; I don't see how accusing other people of dishonesty would ramp up EN's attention to this bug, or gain sympathy or attention in the user community.

WRT multiple posts, the existence of multiple threads with multiple reporters already has the attention-drawing effect, I would think. I just don't see how one user posting here, there, and everywhere is going to draw any more attention to the issue. I'm not suggesting that anyone "keep quiet about bugs"; but IMHO bumping 3 threads on the same topic does more to clog the top of the forum than to get the thing fixed.

I totally agree that this ought to have higher priority than emoji support (which IMHO ought to have zero support, but that's just me), and that an issue reported this often ought to get some more of a response from EN staff in the forums. OTOH, this might be a lot harder to pin down and fix than emoji support.

That's all I've got to say. Not interested in a long battle on the subject. Apologies if I offended.

• 4 months later...

I've been using Evernote for about two years now and I never had any problems with it (except recently), I update it regularly and I also update my Windows 10 regularly, but Evernote has recently slowed down and freezes very easily to the point that it's wasting a lot of my time waiting for the response of every single click... Please fix this in the next updates, it can't be left like this... It's saddening...

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have over 10k notes, most of them PDF. My pc freezed a lot. Often for thirty seconds or more and then again after a few seconds again. It happenend already by just selecting another note.

For me the problem is solved by deleting all the contents of the attachment directory! The program is now faster as I haven't seen for over a year!

• Thanks 1

I try to avoid evernote updates as long as possible, as every time I update it's a roll of the dice what evernote will end up doing, not to mention the updates rarely have anything in them that is a new feature or benefit, usually them just getting rid of bugs

After avoiding the last 4 updates I finally submitted and did the last update. Of course now evernote goes into Sync sleep cycle at least once or twice per day. Thankfully just shutting it down and restarting it results in no data loss, it's not always such a good outcome.  It would be lovely to be able to choose the update, I'd rather stay 1 behind the newest. Shame users are scared to update a product you're paying for, updates should be welcome.

• Level 5
On 8/5/2019 at 9:34 AM, Casius10 said:

I have over 10k notes, most of them PDF. My pc freezed a lot. Often for thirty seconds or more and then again after a few seconds again. It happenend already by just selecting another note.

For me the problem is solved by deleting all the contents of the attachment directory! The program is now faster as I haven't seen for over a year!

On 8/5/2019 at 1:45 PM, PinkElephant said:

@Casius10 Interesting observation. Which directory do you mean exactly ? Could you post a screenshot to make sure we do not start deleting stuff that won’t help us to solve the problem, or cause more damage ! Thanks in advance.

I suspect this is the directory C:\Users\{username}\Evernote\Databases\Attachments. My understanding, from what more knowledgeable folks here have said, is that this folder stores temporary copies of attachments when we open them, for instance to edit them. After checking to be sure that we're not currently editing or viewing any of those attachments, it should be safe to delete them. Good to know that doing that can speed the program up!

16 hours ago, AndreasM said:

Simply do not upgrade!!!! And let Evernote deal with the problems instead of using clients as a testers.

I agree, I try to skip about 5 upgrades but then roll the dice finally and figure I'm so out of date I should update, however, I'm tired of their buggy crappy updates especially when their updates are truly meaningless they don't seem to add anything to the user experience they seem to consist of fixing bugs from the last update. I'm taking your advice and once I get past this crappy update and get one where evernote is stable again I'm done with thier updates.

@Casius10, did you set your import directory to ` C:\Users\{username}\Evernote\Databases\Attachments` ? That's a _really_ bad idea. The Attachments directory is what EN uses to create (hopefully) temporary files so external programs can open them. (@RMorgan, if that's currently allowed, it should be prevented...)

• Level 5

There is another thread in the forum. The user there had an instant un-freezing of his windows app when he emptied this directory !

Maybe this should happen automatically, and in some cases, the job gets stuck.

Who has a freezing issue with his windows client should close EN, look up this path C:\Users\{username}\Evernote\Databases\Attachments, and empty it. Then restart the app.

At least in some reported cases this did an unfreeze !

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dcon said:

@Casius10, did you set your import directory to ` C:\Users\{username}\Evernote\Databases\Attachments` ? That's a _really_ bad idea. The Attachments directory is what EN uses to create (hopefully) temporary files so external programs can open them. (@RMorgan, if that's currently allowed, it should be prevented...)

Ha-ha, I was thinking somewhat the same thing but hadn't quite formulated it that well. But hey, lemons-to-lemonade: maybe this could be turned into a backup/version history feature, though: you start the edit, the attachment gets sucked in to your import notebook, and then when it's done, the update gets pulled back into its note as usual!!

;)