I was about to go Premium...

Hi,

I'm Linux user and I like evernote and used it (freely) for years.

I miss an official Linux client(!) and don't like the unofficial ones.I was about to premium when I realised that the chome extension doesn't offer OFFLINE modality as advertised in the Chrome store (apparently works only for Chromebooks), can please somebody confirm this?

That's also why I'm not satisfied with unofficial Linux clients, missing OFFLINE support.

Evernote price is pretty high, which I'm happy it if it comes with fulll LINUX support!

We're not second class citizen.

• 3 weeks later...

i would also love to see an evernote linux client. but this will never happen, so i am now a google keep user where you can do almost the same (document scan, notes and search for them and many more). I have now over 1000 notes on Google Keep!  

On 7/27/2018 at 10:57 AM, Vectrex71 said:

i would also love to see an evernote linux client. but this will never happen, so i am now a google keep user where you can do almost the same (document scan, notes and search for them and many more). I have now over 1000 notes on Google Keep!  

Curious, how do you like Google Keep? The coloring options and the interface looked promising to me when I had looked at it earlier. 

6 hours ago, TK0047 said:

Curious, how do you like Google Keep? The coloring options and the interface looked promising to me when I had looked at it earlier. 

In the first sight, Google Keep ist not really promising. But If you work with it, you will learn almost daily new possibilities. There is an URL preview, the coloring options, and the interface is easy, but powerfull. And you can store informations from Google Docs, Sheets and Presentations in Google Keep or link to them. You can use the free CamScanner App to scan Documents and store them as an Image in Google Keep and the image document is searchable (OCR). If you don't want to use CamScanner, you can do the same with the Google GDrive App. Store the Information in Google Docs and link to it in Google Keep. The possibilities are endless. And the best of all it's free and a part of Googles G-Suit , so the Service will stay. 

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Vectrex71 said:

And the best of all it's free and a part of Googles G-Suit , so the Service will stay. 

Free ... but does Google scan your documents and notes for information that it uses for marketing purposes? In other words, is it the usual Google trade-off of personal information for software and services?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Free ... but does Google scan your documents and notes for information that it uses for marketing purposes? In other words, is it the usual Google trade-off of personal information for software and services?

G Suite is not free -- Basic level is $5/user/month, and no, they don't use your data for marketing purposes. From https://gsuite.google.com/security/?secure-by-design_activeEl=data-centers:

Transparency is part of Google’s DNA. We work hard to earn and maintain trust with our customers through transparency. The customer – not Google – owns their data. Google does not sell your data to third parties, there is no advertising in G Suite, and we never collect or use data from G Suite services for any advertising purposes.

We recently transitioned to G Suite where I work, we're barely scratching the surface so far, but it looks promising, moreso than the baling wire and bubblegum system we had in place before. Not sure that I have any plans for using Keep, though. Evernote works for me.

I considered Google Keep several times but..

- can't create single note's shortcuts on home screen (Android version)

- can't attach audio recording to the notes (only "talking notes"!)

- doesn't let me organize the order of the images attached to the note

- I'd love to nest notes into notebooks

- no text formatting

I hope it will improve with time!

Apparently Joplin does better! (despite a so-so UI)

Have you guys tried Joplin?

• Level 5
13 hours ago, jefito said:

G Suite is not free -- Basic level is $5/user/month, and no, they don't use your data for marketing purposes. From https://gsuite.google.com/security/?secure-by-design_activeEl=data-centers:

Transparency is part of Google’s DNA. We work hard to earn and maintain trust with our customers through transparency. The customer – not Google – owns their data. Google does not sell your data to third parties, there is no advertising in G Suite, and we never collect or use data from G Suite services for any advertising purposes.

I think the $5/month fee is a good idea. If it were me, I'd way rather pay that than pay with my data. But "Transparency is part of Google’s DNA" -- :lol:. Must be part of that "Don't be evil" gene.

Archived