Cannot indent checkbox with tab key

petebocken

Idea

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Windows? Mac? Web? Android? iOS?

Checkboxes are funny things; they're not really lists in the same way that bullet/numbered lists are; these are implemented under the hood with normal HTML list markup. 

On the Windows client, selecting a line or lines with a checkbox is much like selecting a line or lines of just text. Hitting the Tab key just replaces the selection with a number of spaces (simulating a tab char in a word processor or a text file). You can, however use Ctrl+M to indent a selection like thins, and Ctrl+Shift+M to undent it (there's toolbar buttons on the editing toolbar for these, but I have the hotkeys kind of hardwired by now)..

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I didn't see anything else like this when I searched for tabs and checkboxes.

I just noticed this today on Mac. When you have a checkbox as the first item on a line and you press the tab key, rather than indenting the checkbox, it inserts 4 spaces. In order to get the checkbox indented, you have to use Increase Indent Level. If this is intended behavior, would it be possible to someday get a setting to indent the checkbox when it's the first thing on the line? I tend to treat checkboxes like bullet lists where the bullet happens to be a checkbox, so it would be awesome to have bullet list indent behavior with checkboxes. I understand that I can just make a bullet list and then put a checkbox on it, but it gets pretty visually cluttered when there is both a bullet and a checkbox.

And also a setting to use tabs rather than spaces would be amazing :P

My Evernote version info:

Version 7.6 (457297 Direct)
Editor: 59.0.7031 (d523909)

My OS info:

MacOS Mojave
Version 10.14.1 (18B75)

Archived