Code Block inside numbered lists and bullets, and more...

Steve Escott

Idea

Allow Code Block formatting inside bullets
As it is now, one can not format as Code Block inside a Bullet or a nested numbered list. If you want to format that way, you have to back out of inner numbers or Bullets to create your code block. This would be OK if the numbering would continue from where it left off - but it doesn't - it restarts. Even this would be OK if Evernote would allow us to set numbering from a certain point, so that we could resume the list properly - but alas, that is not allowed either (see my request here ). To get around this omission, I would even accept the allowance of background color formatting (of course inside bullets as well), and I would just use the Courier New font and a gray background... So that is where this dovetails with other requests for normal formatting features in Evernote - and Background Coloring is definitely one that I would want.

Until this time, I have been resorting to pasting images of code into lists - but this is not searchable, so it isn't a very good solution at all.

• Like 4

20 replies to this idea

I wanted to express my support for this feature request. Currently code blocks are just limited. In my case, I usually run into the issue when trying to use paragraph intentation to create "description list" style structuring of a note.

In Summary the code bloch feature fails to provide useful behavior in these cases (pasted from evernote).

codeblock.thumb.png.34727b8a09112e5e595c83cc71e4fc81.png

• Like 1
On 7/12/2018 at 9:45 AM, Steve Escott said:

Thanks to johndoe7, the problem seems to be solved - if you don't mind using Evernote web. He mentioned the Alternote Chrome add-in.

While certainly powerful, the "webclient only" restriction is a big "if". The Chrome extensions lacks feedback about available hotkeys compared to the official client (image.png.b8f04bfd86d4013cd9eee4ed652ff738.png). Even the code-block feature itself isn't really solved. All the Chrome extension is, is provide direct access to the "<pre>" tag in all contexts, but it doesn't assign it backgrounds or borders; At this point one might as well just apply a monospaced font.

An officially supported solution in the official deskotp client would be very much appreciated.

Thanks to johndoe7, the problem seems to be solved - if you don't mind using Evernote web. He mentioned the Alternote Chrome add-in. Alternote happens to be a Mac based note taking app, however PC users can still benefit, as it is fully backed by evernote, and the chrome add-in is fully integrated into evernote's chrome interface.

See his post here

Add the Alternote add-inn and play around - is great! Background color,   number formatting, code or other blocks regardless of indent level... wow!

Can you use the code blocks if you are not a paying user? I was a paying customer for about a year and I found too many bugs that I did not feel comfortable continuing to pay. Using the free version, can I add code blocks? 

On 7/16/2018 at 11:21 AM, ashmc said:

Can you use the code blocks if you are not a paying user? I was a paying customer for about a year and I found too many bugs that I did not feel comfortable continuing to pay. Using the free version, can I add code blocks? 

Evernote basic users can still use code blocks, they are not limited to paid subscribers. 

On 7/16/2018 at 7:21 PM, ashmc said:

Does your question refer to Alternote or Evernote?

Code blocks work for both in their respective free versions. Evernote has its limitations, as we have already noted, while Alternote does not. However, after using Alternote for a few days, I can tell you that I have experienced some bugs and inconsistency using the Chrome add in. It could be that their IOS app is more stable.

Still, it is worth the download.

Also, very important - you have to enable autosave for it to autosave - it doesn't happen by default.

Thank you for your responses. I think the issue is just that I cannot find the code block anywhere. I have looked through all the options and also used the Help tool, where I typed "Code", "code", "code block", and "Code block" (not that I think the uppercase will change the search... I just got desperate).  

Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 2.56.14 PM.png

9 hours ago, Klaus said:

An officially supported solution in the official deskotp client would be very much appreciated.

Can't argue with that - and yes, lack of hover tooltips for keyboard shortcuts is a drawback, but it is what we have now, in the meantime.

I am not sure I understand your comment re the <pre> tag - With Alternote, I see a full menu of formatting functions, allowing backgrounds and borders. Am I missing something? See attached images.

background color.jpg

codeblock.jpg

11 hours ago, Steve Escott said:

I am not sure I understand your comment re the <pre> tag - With Alternote, I see a full menu of formatting functions, allowing backgrounds and borders. Am I missing something? See attached images.

That was just me finding only "Formats > Blocks > Pre". I didn't expect it under "Text box", since I usually associate the term with free-floating elements in Office software. 

Definitely need this feature. Note that code block support was the reason I switched from Google Keep back into Evernote. The lack of triple backtick code block support in lists is really frustrating.

• Level 5

Code block is void of formatting. It is plain text. This contradicts the use of elements like bullet formatting - and it would change any code if bullets (which are  characters in their own right, plus some HTML code) were inserted.

If you came to EN to get this feature, you likely took the wrong decision. Needing it will not change the bleak possibility to get it.

If you want to communicate with EN about it, issue a support ticket.

5 hours ago, gerrytan said:

Definitely need this feature. Note that code block support was the reason I switched from Google Keep back into Evernote. The lack of triple backtick code block support in lists is really frustrating.

This a very old thread. It's worth mentioniung that inline code has been introduced in V10 since the thread was started and that this works in both bulleted and numbered lists. It's obviously much more limited than a full code block but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway.

57 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Code block is void of formatting. It is plain text. This contradicts the use of elements like bullet formatting - and it would change any code if bullets (which are  characters in their own right, plus some HTML code) were inserted.

If you came to EN to get this feature, you likely took the wrong decision. Needing it will not change the bleak possibility to get it.

If you want to communicate with EN about it, issue a support ticket.

Hi @PinkElephant what I meant is being able to format code block inside a list like in this example:

image.png.9489eca0583806ebc50fea7a43c16a5e.png

If EN not going to support this then you're right, I definitely should find another app

• Level 5

Thanks for posting the example - I now understand what you mean.

A note is practically a small web site. And the editor is build for note taking, with restricted but easy to use features.

What you show is code blocks interrupting the HTML encoded, formatted part of the note. It can be done - but it will reset the list to start counting again. From how I understand the way this feature is set up, it inserts an unformatted container into the HTML encoded note. The container is not visible, but in itself a piece of code. The other code, for example from the list feature is not reaching beyond it.

You can review it yourself, you are familiar with code: Open EN v10 on desktop. Hold down the alt/opt key before clicking on Help. Now select „Problem solving“ or maybe „Troubleshooting“ (I am not on an English client). From the submenu choose „Developer tools on/off“. The tools will show in a window to the right of the note.

I think you need to employ tools made for coding, not a general purpose app like EN. I use COT Editor on the Mac, embedding the files into a note.

59 minutes ago, gerrytan said:

what I meant is being able to format code block inside a list like in this example:

There are actually a number of issues here.

1. adding the code block in the list
  2. indenting the code block (arguably just part of 1)
  3. sub levels with letters not numbers

There is more than one way of starting a numbered list. If you use "numbered list" from the task bar the list will start with 1. If however you just type 2.<space>, for example, you will still get a list that increments when you press enter etc but it will start with 2. It's not therefore fully automatic but you can easily produce this:

image.png.e866dbb4bfaefa4961fc9a38251925c7.png

Doesn't help with the indenting of the code or the numbering of sub levels.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

When I wrote my posting, I had been thinking about this possibility. But because it is all manual settings, if you edit the note later and introduce another element in between, the numbering will not update.

For me this is not a viable solution, because it means to interfere manually again and again.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

For me this is not a viable solution, because it means to interfere manually again and again.

I agree that for longer lists it is probably not practical. Part of the reason for my post was to point out that you don't need to start a list from 1 each time. So it may not be practical but at least it is possible.

If your whole reason for using EN is to produce long lists including code snippets then EN is probably (at least currently) not the right tool for you. If on the other hand you like the other features of EN and only produce lists with code blocks infrequently then it is proabably OK. In the real world we know that all software is a compromise and we ditch one app because it doesn't do X for a new app that doesn't do Y (which we knew when we adopted it) but also later discover that it doesn't do Z either.

• Like 1

I too was troubled by it. I think I've found a simple solution! Rather than starting a new sublevel by typing 2. <space>, start by pressing tab (indenting) any number of times to get the cursor in the required position. and then type 2. and the list would appear to continue. Happy Note taking!