Embracing Evernote's HTML

Notes are writtin in and rendered using HTML in Evernote, even if this isn't exposed to the user. On a mac, you can inspect a package's contents and I can easily find the default CSS used to render this HTML.

In the CSS, there are default rules for <div>, <p>, and several levels of <h#> tags. What I want to know is how to use these tags when I'm writing a note.

I want to be able to use a <p> tag when I want a margin separating my paragraphs, and a line-break when I don't. Evernote is equipped to render these the way I want, but I'm not sure how to actually insert the tags into my notes to get the formatting I want. Any ideas?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, AndruC said:

Notes are writtin in and rendered using HTML in Evernote

The Evernote note format is ENML, a fork of HTML
There's documentation at https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php

>>I'm not sure how to actually insert the tags into my notes to get the formatting I want. Any ideas?

On a Mac, we can edit the note's  content.enml  file using a text editor app (I use Textastic)
I use a script to identify the file's location.  More information at 

I was hoping for some trick to do so in Evernote's editor. No such luck without editing the note outside? It's strange that ENML defines elements that we can't use "natively".

Archived