Alternative to Alternote?

Hi All!

I'm curious if there's an alternative app that works like Alternote in that it will not store notes/database on my iMac like the Mac App does.

I posted earlier in the web-client section and found some really great advice (thank you so much!); I thought I had it all sorted out by using Alternote only on my iMac (which is used primarily for Adobe heavy projects) and using the Mac App on my MacBook then backing up with cloudHQ to my Dropbox. Seemed great until I found out Alternote is no longer being developed after I started getting repeated notes -so it's a no go. Such a shame because it was very pleasant to use and so handy!.

Of course there is the option of using the web-client although it's not the handiest method in the world when you want to get something down quickly.

Thanks for any feedback! This forum is one of the nicest I've come across!

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Breid said:

Of course there is the option of using the web-client although it's not the handiest method in the world when you want to get something down quickly.

Thanks for any feedback! This forum is one of the nicest I've come across!

Thanks for the praise - we're (mainly) a user supported deal here,  so this may not be the best place to talk about alternatives - everyone still reading this should presumably still be committed to Evernote - for the moment at least. 

A little web research my might be more help - I found this:  https://www.slant.co/topics/2463/~evernote-alternatives with (allegedly) 49 alternatives.  Turtle -I think- is the most apparently secure,  though I haven't read through the options in detail.

On the other hand Evernote Web may be worth sticking with:  there's a new version being rolled out which should be a bit of an upgrade on the current UI design.

If you do find a good alternative,  do let us know - it's always good to have a backup... :)

Edited:typo!

Thanks Gazumped! Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough. I'm actually looking for an app that works WITH Evernote. Alternote works with Evernote like the Mac App does but without storing notes locally. Yeah, I've spent the last couple days searching without any results.

I do REALLY like Evernote, just not the space it could potentially eat up on my iMac!

On another "note", Scrivener does allow one to save it's files anywhere. It's also a great app but is a different beast and is more designed for writing. Evernote is more flexible. I look forward to seeing the upgraded version!

Cheers! 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Sorry - I got the wrong end of the stick there;  if it's the space issue that you're more concerned with,  there've been a couple of threads on that elsewhere...  I think the available options were

1. Selective sync - only save some notebooks locally.  That's currently available on Window,  but I believe not on Mac yet.
  2. Start a new free Basic notebook for your Mac and share from your main account only those notes or notebooks which you want to have stored locally.

- It's possible to use CloudHQ (I gather) to backup your whole account(s) to DropBox as required.  The new Basic account is just a 'notebook' to allow you to process notes more conveniently than the Web version.

3. And then there's the web,  as discussed.  :)

Thanks again, Gazumped! Yes, unfortunately, Mac doesn't have the option to selectively sync. The person on the other thread I started before suggested the same as you; open a secondary account and share from my main account. I was unable to see how to do this though! Maybe I'm not searching the right phrasing?  

Right now I have two free accounts as I'm testing what setup would work the best. Do you need Premium in order to share notebooks with another account? Do they sync?

Cheers

Ah geez... I just found this, which might be what you mean! https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314748-Share-notebooks

• Level 5*

Yup.  Any level of account can share notebooks.  Do make sure you always sync your notes both before and after any changes in both accounts to make sure you minimise any duplicates or conflicts.  Note also that you can open your main account on the web and the new Basic account on your device at the same time so you can make changes at both 'ends' so to speak...

Enjoy!

I have to add something 'cause I'm super geeking out here. After downloading the app, I found I can send selected text/images from Scrivener to Evernote! I'm still not wild that the app saves everything on my Mac's HD but hey! The ease of crossing applications is a pretty sweet feature!

I really think this might make my life easier. I'm a "mature" student, as well as a freelance designer/artist so I need all the help I can get keeping things organized. Now I just have to decide if I can wait until September before paying for premium when I'll really need it.

Thanks again for your help!

Archived