Have any body try the Notion.So?

Wvit

Hello, 

I'm quite a long time Evernote user. However, recently I find that it is hard to be productive on Evernote. Save search work incorrectly on Android (I know that logout and login will solve this issue, but have to do this a few time a day is too bad), can't set what image to use as a note's thumbnail, and much more.

I just find out today that there is a new service, called Notion.So. Gonna give it a try but would like to know the opinion of others who have test it.

Thank you in advance.

• Level 5*

I continue to use Evernote to store and access all my documents.
This is mostly office/iwork documents, pdfs, images, ... and the html notes.

I have no requirement to add another editor/format to the mix.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

I use Evernote to store and access my documents.
This is mostly office/iwork documents, pdfs, images, ...

I have no requirement to add another editor/format to the mix.

Thank you for your comment. I do use Evernote as a GTD tools as well as simple note.

Everything that I use Evernote for is already support in Evernote. The problem is many of these features has bug and doesn't work correctly. For example, search note doesn't work with non-space-between-word language or the save search problem on Android (that I mention above).

I've report the issue to the developer but get no update on whether they do care to fix it or not.

Frankly speaking, I still think that Evernote is a very good tool. If only they fix the bug to make it works as it should instead of trying to add new suicide features. (Note. What I means by suicide issue is killing issue, but you kill yourself so it is suicide)

As long as I can't find a better solution, I have to stay on Evernote.

By the way, currently, I am testing the Notion.so. I am not sure if it will work or not. Moreover, the one who abandon Evernote to Notion.so may not come back here to the forum anymore. However, I think that by asking the question (and suppose I got the answer) will help save time both for me and for others.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Wvit said:

The problem is many of these features has bug and doesn't work correctly. 

Yes, I've come across bugs.  Nothing I can't work around or downgrade to previous a previous version.

>>trying to add new suicide features.

There are features tha I have no use for.
My reaction is simply not to use the feature.

>>However, I think that by asking the question (and suppose I got the answer) will help save time both for me and for others.

You may get better feedback in the Notion.so forums.

I agree with you on both the bug  and suicide features.

For the suicide features, I doesn't use them. For the bug, this is annoying. 

What I means when I wrote "trying to add new suicide features." is they should spending their time fixing the bug and make the app work as it should, first.

Oh, by the way, I am not a native speaker, so please pardon me if my message are confusing. LOL

By the way, currently, I find that Notion.se is a little limit on what I can put on each item in the note (e.g. only one color text,  etc.) Their template solution is good.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Wvit said:

@DTLow by the way, can we downgrade Evernote for Android?

Sorry, I'm not an Android User.

I've found it easy do downgrade Evernote versions on my Mac.

11 hours ago, Wvit said:

I just find out today that there is a new service, called Notion.So. Gonna give it a try but would like to know the opinion of others who have test it.

I started looking into it couple of weeks ago. I must admit it is a very promising app. It is doing a lot of the things many users have been asking here. 

I like the way how the tables can sum columns, or how you can customize the banner of a note. 

The "Command" option is really handy to create things quickly with the keyboard strokes and being able to embed stuff like a video is definitely a plus.They are doing a lot of things right I must say.

I don't think it will replace Evernote for me, but I will be keeping an eye on it to see where it goes or if I can find a use for it in my workflow.

@TK0047 Thank you very much for your opinion. 

I spend about an hour this morning setting up a structure that I use in Evernote. I have to say it works quite O.K. 

I think it is more structure than Evernote, although that can be good or bad depend on how you like to organize thing.

The downside is it is a little bit slower to load note than Evernote. You also can have only one type of item per line e.g. can't have Toggle To Do list, etc.

Anyway, I think it is very promising.

17 minutes ago, Wvit said:

@TK0047 Thank you very much for your opinion. 

I spend about an hour this morning setting up a structure that I use in Evernote. I have to say it works quite O.K. 

I think it is more structure than Evernote, although that can be good or bad depend on how you like to organize thing.

The downside is it is a little bit slower to load note than Evernote. You also can have only one type of item per line e.g. can't have Toggle To Do list, etc.

Anyway, I think it is very promising.

You are definitely correct about being more structured than Evernote. And that was throwing me off when I first downloaded the app. But once you play with it and get a handle on how it "operates" it is not bad at all.

Let me know if you create a structure that works and similar to Evernote. I would like to get ideas. 

• 2 months later...

Been using Evernote since 2008.

Stopped about a year ago. 

If Evernote Notes had "Comment" boxes so I could add items to notes and if the note's tags were integrated with notes (visible and click able), I wouldn't look at another App. 

I think Notion is the future of these apps. 

The flexibility and options completely leave Evernote in the dust. 

Notion's UI needs Streamlined that's about it...but they are very young, and listen to their users so the growth curve will be fast. 

3 hours ago, rockky said:

I think Notion is the future of these apps. 

The flexibility and options completely leave Evernote in the dust. 

Notion's UI needs Streamlined that's about it...but they are very young, and listen to their users so the growth curve will be fast. 

I do not intent to leave Evernote however it is hard to ignore some of the great features of Notion for sure. I installed it on my Work PC and I play with it once in a while. I could not bring myself to uninstall it because it does have huge potential for sure.

They introduced the dark mode too, their tables can do basic functions, they have BOARD VIEW for notes....some of the things I've been waiting for from Evernote!

It sure is not straight forward to figure out how to set it up and organize, it will require some thinking for me so I would agree with streamlining the UI comment above.

Competition always makes everybody better so I am glad that they exist, I am glad that people talk about it too which should lead to improving Evernote. That is my hope.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, rockky said:

If Evernote Notes had "Comment" boxes so I could add items to notes

Evernote Notes are containers holding files of any format.
Why not attach file "comment.txt" and write your comments
This could even be comment.wav and an audio recording

• Level 5
4 hours ago, DTLow said:

Evernote Notes are containers holding files of any format.
Why not attach file "comment.txt" and write your comments
This could even be comment.wav and an audio recording

That would certainly be a good approach, depending on the situation and need.

But I dispute the description or definition of Evernote notes as "containers holding files of any format." They can be that. But most basically, they are, well, notes. They can have attachments and so become "containers." But I use them as notes, for catching ideas when I have them, recording some research or a book or article to read, upcoming events, etc. I attach photos or documents fairly often. But the note is very rarely a mere container. I understand that many people use Evernote as an online file cabinet; but to me that seems like a side function that has interestingly taken on a life of its own.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But the note is very rarely a mere container.

My primary platform is a Mac.  Each note is a folder.  The note contents are stored in file content.enml

I'll concede that other users have different views of notes.

Francesco has a nice video about his setup and it inspired me to start using it in conjunction with Evernote. I think Evernote can handle documents and document retrieval better but the customization, flexibility and the way Notion looks, makes me want to use it for fancier notes and project planning and tracking things. Not sure what yet but I will give it a try.

Hmmm, I heard good things about Notion, too. After watching a few videos I'm pretty unsure why this should substitute Evernote, at least for me. 

I'm using EN for the classic things: storing PDF (contracts, bills, manuals etc.), clipping websites etc. - all things to be saved and easily findable when needed. Notion seems to have a complete different focus and I can't see many similarities!?

Still I can't see any alternative to our (at least mine) beloved green elephant...

Evernote is my most used app by far. I want to see it get back in touch with its original long-term vision of being a second brain. As it is now, it's still mostly great, but it's almost palpable how fast other apps are catching up. That notion video was great, love all the design details and ability to see things like a dashboard.

On 6/20/2018 at 8:46 PM, Wvit said:

Hello, 

I'm quite a long time Evernote user. However, recently I find that it is hard to be productive on Evernote. Save search work incorrectly on Android (I know that logout and login will solve this issue, but have to do this a few time a day is too bad), can't set what image to use as a note's thumbnail, and much more.

Thank you in advance.

I don’t get notion or the appeal of it. Complicated. Evernote is by far the best still for my uses. 

Archived