Pin to access Evernote on Windows

jamesefry

Idea

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, jamesefry said:

When I use Evernote on my cell phone I have it set up so that I have to enter a Pin for security. I would like to have that same ability on my windows computer.

This often requested, but doesn't exist. The main reason is, the PIN would provide NO security. On a mobile device like iOS, if you cannot get into Evernote past the PIN, your data is locked and unobtainable. So it works.

On the PC or Mac, your database is in plain text on your hard drive, so if they launched Evernote and got the PIN code, they could just navigate to the database and get your information there via a text editor. If you don't want them in your app, log out of Evernote when you are done.

If you want to protect your data from thieves, then lock your computer when away, and encrypt your hard drive. But if you leave your login profile open and walk away from your PC, even if you have logged out of Evernote, your DB is still there, in plain text (your profile has decrypted access to your data on an encrypted HD) for the taking.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, jamesefry said:

When I use Evernote on my cell phone I have it set up so that I have to enter a Pin for security. I would like to have that same ability on my windows computer.

I have that feature on my IOS devices, using my fingerprint for access.

I wouldn't want to enter a passcode each time I switch apps (often)

On 6/20/2018 at 12:30 PM, DTLow said:

I have that feature on my IOS devices, using my fingerprint for access.

I wouldn't want to enter a passcode each time I switch apps (often)

Then you can not turn that function on.  I would like to have the option TO turn the lock on.  My office computer is unlocked most of the time because 99% of the data is available to all other employees anyway.  I'd like to be able to hit a pin (not my full password) to access Evernote to get to the corporate credit cards quickly and other personal info.