lcarriere

Frustrated with Evernote Experience Across Platforms

Idea

DISCLAIMER: This is nothing more than a whine on my part. I love Evernote! It's the best note taking/organizational app out there in my opinion.

This could be an age thing (I'll be 48 in a couple of months) but I find myself getting frustrated with the Evenote experience across different platforms. Currently, I use it on my Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Windows 10 PC at one of my jobs. I've been a Mac guy for a few years now and when I got this part time job that has me on a Windows 10 PC, I installed Evernote. The look and experience is quite different. It was like learning a new app.

I know a person could get away from that by using the web app but I don't the web app either and it too is completely different. Almost over simplified.

iOS is another almost completely different app. A little more like the web app but different enough that it doesn't feel the same as the other platforms.

So as I mentioned, it could be my age but to me it's just one of those things that makes using Evernote, less fluid than I wished it was.

6 replies to this idea

23 hours ago, lcarriere said:

DISCLAIMER: This is nothing more than a whine on my part. I love Evernote! It's the best note taking/organizational app out there in my opinion.

This could be an age thing (I'll be 48 in a couple of months) but I find myself getting frustrated with the Evenote experience across different platforms. Currently, I use it on my Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Windows 10 PC at one of my jobs. I've been a Mac guy for a few years now and when I got this part time job that has me on a Windows 10 PC, I installed Evernote. The look and experience is quite different. It was like learning a new app.

I know a person could get away from that by using the web app but I don't the web app either and it too is completely different. Almost over simplified.

iOS is another almost completely different app. A little more like the web app but different enough that it doesn't feel the same as the other platforms.

So as I mentioned, it could be my age but to me it's just one of those things that makes using Evernote, less fluid than I wished it was.

Windows app has been lagging compared to the Mac app for a while but I think it is catching up, at least the interface look goes. I do agree with you though, it would be nice if all of them worked and looked the same. But of course, iOS app (especially the phone version) would probably never be close to a desktop app.

I am not a fan of the web app at all, in fact, I had to use it for couple of days when I was quitting my last job and I was really not liking it.

In the end it is about what you get used to. I use the Windows version at work and I am so much faster with it than the Mac version at home. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TK0047 said:

Windows app has been lagging compared to the Mac app for a while but I think it is catching up, at least the interface look goes. I do agree with you though, it would be nice if all of them worked and looked the same. But of course, iOS app (especially the phone version) would probably never be close to a desktop app.

Yeah I get that. Mobile has to sacrifice something as it's not big enough and a totally different interaction with the user as well. I guess I've just never been a big fan of the iOS version. I used to have an Android and I liked that quite a bit. I was using the iOS version on my iPad Air 2 in a meeting today and was trying to switch between two different notes and it was kind of a pain.

8 hours ago, TK0047 said:

In the end it is about what you get used to. I use the Windows version at work and I am so much faster with it than the Mac version at home

I love the Mac version. Or maybe I should say that I prefer the Mac experience over Windows. It would just be nice if it wasn't "lagging" as you said. That sort of stuff always gets me wanting to try something else.

10 hours ago, lcarriere said:

It would just be nice if it wasn't "lagging" as you said.

I am hoping the Windows V7.0 release (which I have no idea when it will happen) will be a major change and improvement. We shall see. 

Version 6.13 was just released. Kind of frightening with the flurry of bug reports on the beta version still continuing. 

I am sticking back, way back, on version 6.6 with my 50,000 notes. I'll wait a couple more months before considering an upgrade depending on the feedback on this forum.

Version 7.0? Once it is released, I'll stay on the sidelines for at least 6 months to see if the expected dust settles.

I'm getting close to going back to 6.7 (6.5 too far back because of tables).  Tags, notebook changes, and reminder updates not being sticky makes for too much back checking.  And I had to restore one key note, but I think that may have been the result of a dumba$$ attack on my part.  Haven't found any software yet to protect me from those.  ?

I understand your pain. The big break for me is when they introduced the ability to do notebook-level sorting in the Windows app. It appears (unless I missed something, OR they have it implemented SO differently in the Mac version) that it still doesn't exist on the Mac side. Notebooks I have sorted differently in Windows do not show the same on the Mac. This is a big feature I use. I wish that they could get the 2 versions more alike.

Eric