philllie

ANSWERED How does the Monthly upload limit work?

Hi
i am still evaluating evernote, thus using the free version.
Unfortunately I had to detect, that evernote uses business-methods that are not really trustworthy.
- every month, with less data you reach the 60mb limit. with this practise I sooner reached this limited every month (without taking bigger or more notes).
-Now I did today "reach" the new period with 30 days left. But my limit does not start at 0mb again. On one client i start with 45mb already taken on the other the full 60mb are already taken, so i cant take any notes for the whole month.

it is understanable that a free version is limited and that evenote tries to make users to upgrade. 
but doing it the way evernote does it - it only makes you looking somewhere else. sorry, that's very unfair, inaccebtable and not honest.
just tell us, there is no free version anymore and we accept it - but don't cheat.evernotee.png.ab8ed42ded3f3e71fdf145a2ea0e470a.png

I could not manage with the 60MB limit, however I've seen no evidence of "business methods that are not really trustworthy"

You should be aware that even the simplest of edits will result in the entire note being uploaded, and reflect against your upload allowance

• Like 2

I believe it helps to clear your Trash notebook,  and make sure that you sync fully at the end of the monthly cycle - but try not to get to the 60MB level,  because that's a limit,  not a target. 

Evernote are perfectly happy for users whose upload needs are minimal,  or those who are trying out the software with a few test notes to stick with the basic service,  but they're a commercial operation and if you need to use their storage and bandwidth for something which is not truly basic,  I don't see it as unreasonable for them to expect to get paid.

• Like 1

Another thing to remember is that modifying an existing note also counts against your monthly quota.  So, worst case kind of thing, if you have a note with a 1MB attachment in it every time you modify the note it counts.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2017 at 12:14 AM, CalS said:

Another thing to remember is that modifying an existing note also counts against your monthly quota.  So, worst case kind of thing, if you have a note with a 1MB attachment in it every time you modify the note it counts.

I would like to ask CalS,

So if I create one note, then leave it un-edited, then i add to it one day with images and text, I can understand if my monthly limit decreases because of the note size increasing but, if I choose to decrease the note size one day back to the un-edited size, will I gain memory for monthly upload for the bytes / megabytes that have been deleted from the note?

5 hours ago, South Ghost said:

So if I create one note, then leave it un-edited, then i add to it one day with images and text, I can understand if my monthly limit decreases because of the note size increasing but, if I choose to decrease the note size one day back to the un-edited size, will I gain memory for monthly upload for the bytes / megabytes that have been deleted from the note?

I think this was already answered in another thread,  but there's no measure of how much space your note occupies - in theory you can store an unlimited amount of data with Evernote.  What you pay for is the bandwidth to upload that data.  So if you have a 1MB note and view but don't change it,  your Upload credit is unchanged.  If you add a 10KB image to that note and save it, you have used 1.01MB to save the changed version.  If you edit and resave without the image,  you again use 1MB to reinstate the previous version.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, South Ghost said:

Not 100% sure, but I think your upload limit would be decreased by the amount of the now smaller note.  The measure is what gets sent to EN, so any time you change the note the resultant note size is what decrements your monthly upload. 

Again, not 100% sure, someone from EN would need to weigh in to correct or confirm.

• Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my message, 

You have given me better insight to how this application works.

I would like to ask another question about the monthly limit. So at the end of the monthly limit when the data refreshes back to the allowance based on subscription, will my data still be on my Evernote application, because I am worried about my notes being deleted at the end of the monthly limit. 

Regards, 

Johnny ?

48 minutes ago, South Ghost said:

will my data still be on my Evernote application,because I am worried about my notes being deleted at the end of the monthly limit. 

No uploaded data is deleted.