Evernote for Job Search record keeping

Mark Leander

I've been using Evernote to keep track of my activities related to a LONG period of job searching. I set up one Job Search notebook, within that I have a note entitle Daily Job Search Journal which is a LONG continuous compendium of daily (nearly) activities for the last 4 years. Each day is dated, followed by a bullet list of "spoke with Name with Company regarding an Opportunity in City" and other variants for emails (sent and received), applications submitted, resumes sent, and rejections received. The note is HUGE. The rest of the notebook is full of clipped job descriptions.

Does anyone have a better model for doing this? I suppose I could create a link in the journal that points to the clipped job description, but I haven't bothered. I suppose I could also keep a resume and/or cover letter in the notebook so it is at my fingertips should I meet someone interested in seeing (or receiving) it....

Any suggestion(s) would be welcome.

Mark

• Level 5*

A note per interaction titled YYYY_DD_MM contact information.  Quick searches would then show activity by date or month.  You could use tags for city and the broader contexts, email, letter, whatever.  That and simple  text search for things like company should facilitate finding things.  You could consider using a template note to ensure you capture all the information.  Top bit for the initial contact and the bottom to handle the updates.  Have an open/closed tag or the like for easy access to current applications.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mark Leander said:

a LONG continuous compendium of daily (nearly) activities

I prefer separate notes with a title standard of yyyy/mm/dd <subject> <description>

I use tags to identify type (job search), company, ...

I do keep a daily journal note.  This would have note links to the above notes; sort of a Table of Contents

On 6/18/2018 at 1:23 PM, Mark Leander said:

The note is HUGE

When one note gets HUGE, it may stop providing any value to the user as it might be cumbersome to retrieve the data you want within that note.

If I was doing, I would have broken it into months probably. Then have a master note for that month, with links to individual notes per day. Especially, if you are applying or doing a lot in one day and that can satisfy one note entry, I would keep a note per day. But if it is one application per day on average, you can possible have a note per week. But I think the key would be to have a Table of Contents | Master Note kind of setup to have quick references to which day you want to go.

Also good luck! What field | industry are you in if you don't mind me asking?

Archived