Is there any good way to read and highlight with Evernote?

Long time Evernote user, though of recent, frustrated with increasing prices, buggy releases, and loss of features without warning or comment.

Evernote is where I store most of my reading. I may read it with Pocket or Acrobat, but in the end, it goes to Evernote. For some longer pieces, I start in Evernote. One of my difficulties is a good way to both read in Evernote and highlight. The problems with:

• Evernote for Windows: No easy way to scroll via touch, have to use mouse; hitting arrows to scroll up and down often throw it off
  • Evernote for Web: Great touch features for scrolling up and down, but no highlight
  • Evernote for Android: Also great for scrolling, but to highlight, one must Edit, lose half the screen for the keyboard, and then highlight

Anyone find any better ways to read and highlight

On 6/16/2018 at 5:27 PM, notetakeingguy said:

Long time Evernote user, though of recent, frustrated with increasing prices, buggy releases, and loss of features without warning or comment.

Evernote is where I store most of my reading. I may read it with Pocket or Acrobat, but in the end, it goes to Evernote. For some longer pieces, I start in Evernote. One of my difficulties is a good way to both read in Evernote and highlight. The problems with:

• Evernote for Windows: No easy way to scroll via touch, have to use mouse; hitting arrows to scroll up and down often throw it off
  • Evernote for Web: Great touch features for scrolling up and down, but no highlight
  • Evernote for Android: Also great for scrolling, but to highlight, one must Edit, lose half the screen for the keyboard, and then highlight

Anyone find any better ways to read and highlight

I assume these are articles saved directly in Evernote, not PDFs? One option would be to create PDFs of those articles, then you can open the PDF document in a more "reader" type of app and highlight etc.

This might be an option.

Thanks for replying. I do read a lot of PDFs too, but then I have to go through a process to extract the highlights so they are in the body of the note. Whereas other articles, it's right there. I use a reader called XoDo, so maybe I should tell them they should try to figure out how to read Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to support @notetakeingguy, this is a real problem for me, too, as one who saves tons of articles to both Evernote and Pocket.  The lack of highlighting in the web client makes it useless for me.  I mostly use the Windows desktop client but would like to see a right-click-menu choice to highlight the selected text.  Having to move the mouse to the highlight button, or hit the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+Shift+H is not convenient.

• 4 weeks later...

@PDittis If you opt into the beta web client (from your account page), you can highlight there. Highlighting was one of the features of the common editor that got broken in the current web client (so it's now running off of an older web-client-specific editor).

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also love to have a Read mode in Evernote where I could highlight text (similar to how InstaPaper and Pocket work).  I'd primarily use Evernote in this way on an iPad but would love to see this also on the Mac, Android, and web versions too.

Converting web pages to PDFs then pushing those into Evernote for this purpose isn't ideal for me.

I’ve been looking for a way to highlight a word or sentence in the web client. I’m lost without that capability! So  I was happy to read RobertSawyers post that ctl + Shift + H is supposed to do that. Will that key combo highlight one word or the sentence? Any help is very appreciated.

Archived