Gavin Gough

Is Evernote Shutting Down?

I'm wondering if Evernote is preparing to shut down.

Seems like the support channels are offline, trying to link to the contact page simply logs users out of their accounts and it's no longer possible to add photos of business cards in the latest version of the iOS app. Perhaps this is an indication that the Evernote service is on the verge of closing? Time to export content and look for an alternative?

55 minutes ago, Gavin Gough said:

I'm wondering if Evernote is preparing to shut down.

I see no indication Evernote is shutting down.  I continue to use the service to store my +10,000 notes.

>>Seems like the support channels are offline

I provide feedback on new releases using these forums, and submit tickets using the support page.

>>Time to export content and look for an alternative?

I've had an exit stategy from the day I started Evernote.  I haven't found an alternative service that offers the same featureset I need.

Its simple to export your data.  My backups include a weekly full export to html.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Gavin Gough said:

it's no longer possible to add photos of business cards in the latest version of the iOS app.

Which version is this?

50 minutes ago, Gavin Gough said:

Seems like the support channels are offline, trying to link to the contact page simply logs users out of their accounts

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. By "support channels," do you mean chat? Chat is offline at the moment (Saturday 12:00 pm Eastern Time U.S.); their open hours are supposedly 7 AM - 6 PM Central Time U.S., but maybe that's only on weekdays. Email support is still available. I went to https://evernote.com/contact/ and did not get logged out of anything. The Help & Learning section (https://help.evernote.com/) has been restructured in some way, and now asks you to log in. Not sure what you get when logged in that you don't get when you're not, but it's certainly working.

55 minutes ago, Gavin Gough said:

and it's no longer possible to add photos of business cards in the latest version of the iOS app. Perhaps this is an indication that the Evernote service is on the verge of closing?

So, three random issues, one of which at most may actually be real, and you think Evernote is shutting down? Isn't this how baseless Internet rumors get started?

• Like 1

Thanks, Dave-in-Decatur.

When you visited the contact page at https://evernote.com/contact/, did you see a link to "Get Support" at the "support page"? For me, that links to an Account and Billing page (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/categories/200001917-Troubleshooting). At the foot of that page it asks "Still can’t find what you're looking for?" with a further link to "Contact Support". That link briefly shows the Evernote Help and Learning page before redirecting to a log-in page. After logging-in, I'm shown this page: https://evernote.com/logged-out/?logout&uid=148377.

I didn't say that I thought Evernote was shutting down but I did ask the question because I'm concerned. I've been a Premium member for many years and, like @DTLowI have many thousands of notes. I have recently noticed a number of inconsistencies and failings in the service. An inability to sync across devices, bugs in the mobile app which haven't been addressed and now the inability to raise a support ticket... cumulatively, these issues have made me wonder so I've took to wondering aloud. Hopefully, they are merely coincidences but, if not, it'd be worth having a strategy. 

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Which version is this?

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the iOS app today, hoping that would resolve the issue (it didn't), so it's the version currently available in the App Store, 8.13.364022

33 minutes ago, Gavin Gough said:

When you visited the contact page at https://evernote.com/contact/, did you see a link to "Get Support" at the "support page"? For me, that links to an Account and Billing page (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/categories/200001917-Troubleshooting). At the foot of that page it asks "Still can’t find what you're looking for?" with a further link to "Contact Support". That link briefly shows the Evernote Help and Learning page before redirecting to a log-in page. After logging-in, I'm shown this page: https://evernote.com/logged-out/?logout&uid=148377.

OK, I didn't click the Get Support link on the contact page; you're right, that's a wrong link clearly. Sorry I didn't check further.

Pressing F1 while in the Windows Evernote program goes to Help & Learning, and the Send Us an Email link there does go to https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new, the main support request page. That's the same as the Still can’t find what you're looking for? link to Contact Support on the Account & Billing page. I didn't see a Help & Learning page when clicking that latter link, though.

The support request page is notoriously flaky about whether it recognizes that one is logged in or not, and generating log-in/log-out loops. Today, at least, it does know that I'm logged in and lets me go through the selection steps to get to a topic on which to submit a ticket. I've gotten really frustrated with that page a number of times, though. I think when it's hinky I can intentionally log out and back in to get it working. Sometimes.

If it's any encouragement about the long-term future, that particular function has had problems for at least a couple of years, so I don't take it as a sign of imminent demise, more like Business As Usual. :)  I haven't had cross-device sync issues (for me: Android and Windows), but I've seen some reported here recently, e.g., about shared notebooks on Android, which did get addressed. I'll admit I have a tendency to take other people's musings-aloud more seriously than they may have been intended. Sorry if I popped off!

I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to reply, Dave. Thank you. I'd prefer to think of this as "business as usual" rather than signs of impending doom so that's worth knowing. I've tried reinstalling the app and rebooting my devices but I'm still unable to create a business card note on my iPhone, can't sync across devices today and can't get to a place where I can raise a support ticket so I'm still left wondering if these are symptoms of a business that's not fully engaged with its product and users because of other priorities. I'm definitely checking my backups today ;)

7 hours ago, Gavin Gough said:

I'm wondering if Evernote is preparing to shut down.

Seems like the support channels are offline, trying to link to the contact page simply logs users out of their accounts and it's no longer possible to add photos of business cards in the latest version of the iOS app. Perhaps this is an indication that the Evernote service is on the verge of closing? Time to export content and look for an alternative?

I just captured a stack of business cards in the latest iOS app. I'm running the latest app store release on the iOS 12 developers beta. So if it works there it's got to work on a stable release. Now, I did have to change the type of scan on my own business card since it's black and it defaulted to document, but once I changed it to business card it worked just like usual. The LinkedIn integration is actually working better than it used to when I scan as well.

Good to know it's working for you, Sayre. Currently, the Evernote iOS app crashes each time I enter the Name field for a scanned business card. I've not seen that behaviour before and have scanned many business cards successfully in the past but despite reinstalling the app, it's not playing nicely today.

I know it sounds like a dumb question, but when you deleted the app, did you restart your phone before installing again?

Seems like sometimes iOS doesn't clear everything out till you do a full switch it off and on again.

Not a dumb question at all. I did restart my phone before and after reinstalling the app. I’m going to try reinstalling the iOS in order to rule out every other possible cause of the problem and to at least be taking some action whilst it’s not possible to raise a support ticket. 

I was finally able to raise a support ticket on my iPad and received an auto-reply saying it may "take up to one week before you receive a reply". 

Ho hum!

@Gavin Gough Sorry to hear you've been having trouble, but glad to hear that you were able to open the support ticket. I was able to locate the ticket, and one of our agents should be reaching out to you shortly.

We're currently investigating into the issues you reported with the support channels, and will work to make sure they're fixed as quickly as possible.

Also, I can assure you that we have no plans of shutting down any time in the near future, but if you have any other questions/concerns other than what you described in the support ticket, feel free to reach out to me directly!

• Like 2

@Gavin Gough and to your specific access issue, I've reached out via direct message here in the forums and followed up via email as well.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply @gbarry.

I'm logged in to my account. I go to help.evernote.com, as you suggested, and click "Using Evernote", for example. Then I click "Contact Support". That takes me back to the help.evernote.com page, which automatically redirects to https://evernote.com/logged-out with a message saying that I've been logged out. If I log in again, I can only repeat the circle and never reach a point where I can raise a support ticket.

Perhaps you'll remedy this by creating a new support request profile, as you mentioned, although I'm confused as my forum email and my Evernote account email are the same. Anyway, I'll wait to hear from you. If I need to change some settings or change account details, just let me know and I'll do so.

Thanks again.