OneNote vs Evernote - Real Fact

Hi, I like Evernote very much. Its friendly and the UI is awesome but being limited to only 60 Mb/month on the FREE version is a HUGE down factor compared to OneNote which is TOTALLY FREE and there is NO limit on the amount of uploads and the size of notes in OneNote.

So, what do you all think of the biggest difference between onenote and evernote from your perspective?

I'm not saying to make it free because its an awesome handy app but saying that on the free version they should increase from 60 mb only to something a bit bigger than that.

What do you all think?

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Mr Jumbo Guy said:

So, what do you all think of the biggest difference between onenote and evernote from your perspective?

OneNote is better at editing (proprietary format).  Evernote is better at filing documents/files.

I don't need a new editor; I have access to various editors that get the job done.
I need a tool to store my +10,000 documents and make it easy to access data as required.

The Evernote note can contain files of any format.  
I use the Evernote editor for basic notes.  I use MS-Word/Apple-Pages for word processing, MS-Excel/Apple-Numbers for spreadsheets, PDFs, Images, ...

>>I'm not saying to make it free because its an awesome handy app but saying that on the free version they should increase from 60 mb only to something a bit bigger than that.

Paying customers are needed to pay the bills for the service and fund ongoing development.
There has to be limits on the free account otherwise few users would upgrade to the paid version.

I view the free account as an introduction to the service.
If you find this a useful product, subscribe and get access to the full featureset. 

>>compared to OneNote which is TOTALLY FREE

tanstaafl - there ain't no such thing as a free lunch; and I'm not signing my soul to the devil

Get thee behind me Satan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Mr Jumbo Guy said:

What do you all think?

I think Evernote is great for organization and recall. Tagging is very efficient and not something that OneNote implements in the same way and are not searchable. I think both are great products though. 

I have about 1000 notes at this point, and I know many on the forums have many more. I'm not sure if I could do the same thing in OneNote without it getting unwieldy. 

-Alan 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

OneNote is better at editing (proprietary format).  Evernote is better at filing documents/files.

I don't need a new editor; I have access to various editors that get the job done.
I need a tool to store my +10,000 documents and make it easy to access data as required.

The Evernote note can contain files of any format.  
I use the Evernote editor for basic notes.  I use MS-Word/Apple-Pages for word processing, MS-Excel/Apple-Numbers for spreadsheets, PDFs, Images, ...

>>I'm not saying to make it free because its an awesome handy app but saying that on the free version they should increase from 60 mb only to something a bit bigger than that.

Paying customers are needed to pay the bills for the service and fund ongoing development.
There has to be limits on the free account otherwise few users would upgrade to the paid version.

I view the free account as an introduction to the service.
If you find this a useful product, subscribe and get access to the full featureset. 

>>compared to OneNote which is TOTALLY FREE

tanstaafl - there ain't no such thing as a free lunch; and I'm not signing my soul to the devil

Get thee behind me Satan

That's I like Evernote too. I even said that in my post and I am looking to get premium.

One of the major disadvantage of OneNote is the Sync function as well as Notebooks disappearing. Just happend to me again. I'm literally frustrated on the sync and notebooks getting disappeared.

Another thing I heard evernote's customer support is not that fast and good for premium members? What can you say on this and how was your customer support experience?

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Mr Jumbo Guy said:

Another thing I heard evernote's customer support is not that fast and good for premium members? What can you say on this and how was your customer support experience?

I've always had a good experience with Evernote Support.  For my critical problems, they've responded quickly and resolved my issue.

For non-critical problems, they've taken note of the issue, to be addressed as per priorities and workflow.  I don't expect Evernote to drop all other work just because I report an issue.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I've always had a good experience with Evernote Support.  For my critical problems, they've responded quickly and resolved my issue.

For non-critical problems, they've taken note of the issue, to be addressed as per priorities and workflow.  I don't expect Evernote to drop all other work just because I report an issue.

Yes correct. And thanks for clearing my doubts mate :D

I have had Evernote for four years, during which time I have created many notes on my Android device, none of which I have ever been able to see when I log into my account on my desktop computer. I have asked for help, but I have only been referred to FAQs or to this forum. I thought eventually I would figure it out, but instead of banging my head against the wall, I just continued to use Evernote exclusively on my phone. That worked okay until I bought a new Android device last week. When I transferred apps from my old device to my new, the Evernote account that transferred to my new device was the empty one that I see on my dekstop rather than the account with all the notes in it on my Android phone. :-(.

I'm sorry to leave, but leave I must, for I cannot do this without support, and I do not wish to upgrade simply to get person-to-person support that would allow me to use the free basic service as advertised.

And the problem with that is that the tools for jumping ship from Evernote to OneNote (the program that I use at work) all require that I access my Evernote account from my desktop . . . where I don't see any notes.

Sigh.

Anyone know how to help?

On 6/16/2018 at 4:50 AM, Mr Jumbo Guy said:

I used OneNote before using Evernote heavily. It is a good app for sure especially when it comes to formatting and inserting anything you want anywhere within the note.

But OneNote still gives you a certain structure you have to follow with notebooks, sections and pages. And the size of the page is similar to how we always have interacted with word processing software. Paper size format. Evernote does a better job there for me. Yes you can create the similar structure with notebooks but you don't have to. You can have a minimum number of notebooks and handle everything with tags. I think tagging is better in Evernote although it is kind of nice to be able to select and tag a portion of the note but that was getting to cumbersome for me.

Of course one advantage of OneNote that it will talk better with the Office 365 products.

Like suggested above, when it comes to retrieval and searching Evernote does a great job and is superior. Having used both, I am happy with my selection of app for sure.

• Level 5
On 6/17/2018 at 2:30 AM, FedUp said:

I have had Evernote for four years, during which time I have created many notes on my Android device, none of which I have ever been able to see when I log into my account on my desktop computer. I have asked for help, but I have only been referred to FAQs or to this forum. I thought eventually I would figure it out, but instead of banging my head against the wall, I just continued to use Evernote exclusively on my phone. That worked okay until I bought a new Android device last week. When I transferred apps from my old device to my new, the Evernote account that transferred to my new device was the empty one that I see on my dekstop rather than the account with all the notes in it on my Android phone. :-(.

I'm sorry to leave, but leave I must, for I cannot do this without support, and I do not wish to upgrade simply to get person-to-person support that would allow me to use the free basic service as advertised.

And the problem with that is that the tools for jumping ship from Evernote to OneNote (the program that I use at work) all require that I access my Evernote account from my desktop . . . where I don't see any notes.

Sigh.

Anyone know how to help?

This sounds like a classic case of Two Different Accounts. If that's it, whatever login you're using on the desktop and the new Android device is different from the one on your original device. It's incredibly easy to do this by accident. Try investigating the login details in both situations. If there are two accounts, then try just logging in with the original one on the desktop and new device. This assumes you still have access to the original Android device to login there!

• Like 3

Onenote is a great tool in it's own way. Just like Evernote, it has it's drawbacks.

Advantages:

- Free, up to the limits of Onedrive free storage. Not sure what it's stands at now, I think 5 GB ?

- Excellent attachment handling. You pretty much can position any attachment anywhere, which makes it great for keeping project notes.

- Excellent table function

- Full section encryption.

- Fantastic editor.

Disadvantages:

- Once you run out of 5GB free space in your Onedrive, you can't upload any more notes unless you buy more space. For the record, all of my notes collected over many years were at about 4 GB (I had 30 GB Onedrive space total, due to several  "free space' deals). So for many users, this is going to suffice for a while

- It's sync engine is slooow and clunky. While I never lost any data, I periodically ran into sync conflicts. MS way to make sure no data is lost during sync conflicts is to keep a copy of both versions. It's probably a good approach, but does require a bit of extra maintenance.

- MS is doing away with Desktop version, and concentrating on Metro app version of Onenote. This means, no more ability to store your database locally, you're being forced to keep it in Onedrive. AFAIK no way to backup Onenote data locally either, you have to back it up from Onedrive. 

In the end, I stopped using Onenote, and only use Evernote for my wife's recipies (she doesn't want to learn any new apps).

• Like 3

I was introduced to OneNote as a Red Cross volunteer- we made the jump nationally to Office 365, so we are all-in there. As I also had a home Office 365 subscription, I figured I would give OneNote a try. There were several tools that promised easy migration from EN. Now, maybe I should seen if I could have taken it slower- my EN file is almost 9.5Gb. But I ran one of the tools and waited to see what would happen. First- about halfway through, it crashed. Horribly. Froze hard. So I bailed out and went in to take a look. It was horrible. In short, because of my use of stacks, tags and such, there was no way that my EN account as it was would transfer over to OneNote cleanly. Also, after taking a look at OneNote's structure...while the ability to "free-form" note layout was nice, I really didn't need it. The lack of tags and the sub-par search features have kept me with EN.

EN gives me a lot more freedom to use the tools I want and need. With OneNote, it works best if you lock into MS/Office lock, stock and barrel.

Just my .09 (adjusted for inflation).

Eric

• Like 5

For the last 60 days I've been using every note platform available to me (MacOS/iOS), mostly because I've had it in my head that it's time to abandon EN for a variety of reasons. I've spent a lot of time with OneNote because it's what we use at work so I'm already fully comfortable in it.

I find OneNote's almost literal translation of the notebook concept to be overly complex, and generally a poor use of screen real estate. Syncing is (for me) slower than Evernote and most noticeable in iOS. Searching is worse than Evernote. EN supports more complex searching and tagging and - the big one for me -  OneNote for the Mac does not integrate with Spotligh. So I have to open OneNote to search my notes, where with EN I can use Spotlight and get everything on my computer that matches my search, including the stuff in EN.

It's worth keeping in mind that OneNote storage is limited. If you are using it totally free, e.g. no Office 365 subscription, you are limited by the amount of free space you have OneDrive. You get 5GB for free (right?), but if you've got other things stored on there, you might have considerably less space available for OneNote files. It's not both free & unlimited.  Evernote is limiting you to 60MB of upload per month, but not capping your total storage, which could be better or worse than what MS is offering, depending on your needs. 60MB is a lot of notes, if you aren't regularly including files.

• Like 1

I've been a long time supporter of Evernote and always paid for the service but with the exchange rate,   Premium now costs the same as Netflix who invest millions in content for my entertainment ( Yes I know its a weird comparison LOL ) .

As a home user I can't justify paying Premium prices to store web pages and documents !  

Tags are useful but I also pay for Microsoft Office 365 annually and I get 5TB of OneDrive storage included and 60 mins of Skype international calls per month   !  and all that costs less than Evernote Premium.

As there isn't a Evernote plan between Basic and Premium it looks like after many years I'll be a Basic user from now on but the limitations of that plan ( no History Restore feature, no email storage and limited support are pushing me away to Microsoft e.g OneNote. I see there is even a OneNote import tool now that uses the Evernote Tags in someway as part of the import. 

Obviously Evernote is only here to make money and trying to upsell services and experimenting with what the market will stand. So good luck to them but I feel they haven't been very innovative recently and are getting a little lazy. Just my 2 pennies worth. 

On 6/25/2018 at 11:37 PM, Palmplex said:

As a home user I can't justify paying Premium prices to store web pages and documents !  

I agree, it does come down whether you can justify the cost vs. the value. Everybody's needs and usages are different. 

When it comes down to pricing, one way I look at it is how much is it costing me per note. So I create 14.41 notes per day in Evernote (2018 year averages so far). It was 12.36 last year.

I pay $69.99 per year so that is actually $0.19 per day. Which means I pay $0.013 to store a note which includes very important financial information to historical cost data for construction projects to travel plans to lessons learned from anything. 

That is a little over A PENNY per note basically. So when I look at the value I get out it, it is so worth it. I save my personal time which costs a lot more than that per minute if I was to look for information etc.

So my justification for premium is definitely worth what I am getting out of. Are there issues and frustrations with the app and service? Of course, there are but again what I am getting out of the subscription outweighs those issues. If it comes to a point, it is not then time to look for something else.

Nonetheless, the point I was making was that there are always different ways of looking at cost vs. value, it comes down to how you justify it or not. The point was definitely not to say you are wrong or anything.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, TK0047 said:

I agree, it does come down whether you can justify the cost vs. the value. Everybody's needs and usages are different. 

When it comes down to pricing, one way I look at it is how much is it costing me per note. So I create 14.41 notes per day in Evernote (2018 year averages so far). It was 12.36 last year.

I pay $69.99 per year so that is actually $0.19 per day. Which means I pay $0.013 to store a note which includes very important financial information to historical cost data for construction projects to travel plans to lessons learned from anything. 

That is a little over A PENNY per note basically. So when I look at the value I get out it, it is so worth it. I save my personal time which costs a lot more than that per minute if I was to look for information etc.

So my justification for premium is definitely worth what I am getting out of. Are there issues and frustrations with the app and service? Of course, there are but again what I am getting out of the subscription outweighs those issues. If it comes to a point, it is not then time to look for something else.

Nonetheless, the point I was making was that there are always different ways of looking at cost vs. value, it comes down to how you justify it or not. The point was definitely not to say you are wrong or anything.

Bro, you have no idea how much I like EverNote. I only see one flaw and that's NOT having the ability to do FULL encryption. 

I just want to encrypt images that I clip from the web and also have the ability to encrypt notebooks or directly individual notes.

How do you encrypt your notes and images? 

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2018 at 5:29 PM, Wanderling Reborn said:

Onenote is a great tool in it's own way. Just like Evernote, it has it's drawbacks.

Advantages:

- Free, up to the limits of Onedrive free storage. Not sure what it's stands at now, I think 5 GB ?

- Excellent attachment handling. You pretty much can position any attachment anywhere, which makes it great for keeping project notes.

- Excellent table function

- Full section encryption.

- Fantastic editor.

Disadvantages:

- Once you run out of 5GB free space in your Onedrive, you can't upload any more notes unless you buy more space. For the record, all of my notes collected over many years were at about 4 GB (I had 30 GB Onedrive space total, due to several  "free space' deals). So for many users, this is going to suffice for a while

- It's sync engine is slooow and clunky. While I never lost any data, I periodically ran into sync conflicts. MS way to make sure no data is lost during sync conflicts is to keep a copy of both versions. It's probably a good approach, but does require a bit of extra maintenance.

- MS is doing away with Desktop version, and concentrating on Metro app version of Onenote. This means, no more ability to store your database locally, you're being forced to keep it in Onedrive. AFAIK no way to backup Onenote data locally either, you have to back it up from Onedrive. 

In the end, I stopped using Onenote, and only use Evernote for my wife's recipies (she doesn't want to learn any new apps).

@Wanderling Reborn... these are critical DISADVANTAGES.

Thank you for spelling them out so clearly.

~ Alan

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ab1kenobee said:

@Wanderling Reborn... these are critical DISADVANTAGES.

Thank you for spelling them out so clearly.

~ Alan

Absolutely critical disadvantages. Here's some more that annoyed me and still do since I am forced to use it at work.

I use my phone a lot to clip pages, add to lists, set reminders on my notes.  The clipper on iOS is horrible, takes little pictures of the webpages which you can't actually copy and paste text from later.  It also only lets you clip to notebooks you have open on the device.

Plus, if you forget to open the ON after you clip, it will not be synced to your other devices or windows application

There is no way to set reminders (or outlook tasks in Onenote) unless you are using the Desktop application. Not even in the UWP application that is supposed to replace the desktop app.

The recent notes section only shows notes from that device.  It's a different list of notes on every device you open it on. There's also no history on the new UWP like in the desktop app.

You can not sort by date, or see the date on a note was created in the preview view.  You have to open the note to see the date...unless you accidentally remove it, then it's just gone .

If you draw over text, drop an image in a document, it looks great.  If you look at the same document on a phone, the drawing is moved somewhere else. Be careful not to make changes that will get saved, or your desktop will look the same.

If you have a lot of notes, your phone app will be huge because it downloads the notebooks when you open a note.  My onenote app was over 15 gb at one point and the only way to stop it is to close notebooks. 

That being said, there are advantages:

it is free. Most people can also get some freebies to expand the maximum size from 5 to 15 or even 30gb.  

it is great to use with excel documents because you can just update the excel sheets right in the note. Works great with all office apps, and sharepoint.

You can share notebooks, notes with other users without having to worry if they are premium users who can't see a note over 20mb.

There's version control.  You can go back to a previous version of the document (This is what causes a lot of the sync issues)

If you are a student, they are really pushing the education aspect.  You can follow classes, fill out quizes, do math formulas... 

I still love Evernote because of its smoothness over OneNote but I kinda stopped using it for my work purpose. Why? Because of it's privacy issue.

No matter how much Evernote says that they don't look at user notes anymore after the public outrage when Evernote openly said that their employees can look at notes, I and many people (I am sure) have still not got peace of mind.

Another thing, we can't password protect a whole note or notebook like we can password protect a whole section just by right-clicking and password protecting it in One Note.

Find a way to fix those two and you will have a customer for life and I am sure you will have many customers from OneNote as well as from other notebook applications migrating towards your app.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mr Jumbo Guy said:

No matter how much Evernote says that they don't look at user notes anymore after the public outrage when Evernote openly said that their employees can look at notes, I and many people (I am sure) have still not got peace of mind.

I know Evernote has access to my data.  
- The servers are running an OCR process
- All my data is being indexed for searching.
This is what I signed up for from the very beginning.

I protect my sensitive data using encryption. Warning: this blocks the OCR and Search Indexing.
I use the text encryption feature and native encryption in attachment files.

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I know Evernote has access to my notes.  The servers are running an OCR process, and each word is being indexed for searching.

I protect my sensitive data using encryption.

They should NOT have.

They should give the option to encrypt the whole note and the notebook just like OneNote and not just some text encryption.

I actually went back to Onenote. Just after I made my original comment, our company finally implemented the ability to access Onenote project notebooks from mobile devices, and this was a game changer.

Onenote’s tight integration with Exchange, Skype, Teams, Outlook Tasks etc. just makes it too valuable of a project tool.  Now that we can finally access our data from our phones and tablets, we’ve fully embraced Onenote at work and have developed a project workflow around it.

Using it for hours daily for the past two months and having it on my phone and tablet  forced me to go back to using it for my personal data as well, the advantages of applying the same habits, workflow and software tools for both work and personal stuff far outweigh the issues I had with it. I also made some key changes to the way I organize the data, basically simplifying the entire process as much as I can. I have the full version of Office 2016 through HUP program, so I should be all set for the next several years, hopefully by then MS will migrate enough features over to UWP.

Could I use Evernote instead to achieve the same end result ? Very possibly.

In the end, if I learned anything, it’s that the tool is not as important as the methods and workflow, as long as that tool is “good enough”.

On 8/23/2018 at 11:06 AM, Mr Jumbo Guy said:

I still love Evernote because of its smoothness over OneNote but I kinda stopped using it for my work purpose. Why? Because of it's privacy issue.

Another thing, we can't password protect a whole note or notebook like we can password protect a whole section just by right-clicking and password protecting it in One Note.

Find a way to fix those two and you will have a customer for life and I am sure you will have many customers from OneNote as well as from other notebook applications migrating towards your app.

I still think this whole "evernote employees look at your notes" outrage is overblown.  It's not like every employee has access to them.  It was probably a few developers who needed to troubleshoot issues with the software.  Sometimes you can't fix software until you know how your end users are using your software.  You honestly think the Onenote developers can't look at your encrypted notes...they wrote the encryption and decryption functionality! Also, a quick google search shows there's about 20 software apps out there that will crack your onenote password.  If you are worried about it, you probably shouldn't put it in the cloud even if it is encrypted.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
42 minutes ago, zotje said:

You honestly think the Onenote developers can't look at your encrypted notes...they wrote the encryption and decryption functionality! Also, a quick google search shows there's about 20 software apps out there that will crack your onenote password.  If you are worried about it, you probably shouldn't put it in the cloud even if it is encrypted.

I don't know about ON, but I know that no one is looking at my encrypted Evernote data.  
I have no security concerns with storing encrypted data in the Evernote cloud.

• Level 5
6 hours ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

I actually went back to Onenote. Just after I made my original comment, our company finally implemented the ability to access Onenote project notebooks from mobile devices, and this was a game changer.

Onenote’s tight integration with Exchange, Skype, Teams, Outlook Tasks etc. just makes it too valuable of a project tool.  Now that we can finally access our data from our phones and tablets, we’ve fully embraced Onenote at work and have developed a project workflow around it.

Using it for hours daily for the past two months and having it on my phone and tablet  forced me to go back to using it for my personal data as well, the advantages of applying the same habits, workflow and software tools for both work and personal stuff far outweigh the issues I had with it. I also made some key changes to the way I organize the data, basically simplifying the entire process as much as I can. I have the full version of Office 2016 through HUP program, so I should be all set for the next several years, hopefully by then MS will migrate enough features over to UWP.

Could I use Evernote instead to achieve the same end result ? Very possibly.

In the end, if I learned anything, it’s that the tool is not as important as the methods and workflow, as long as that tool is “good enough”.

Thanks for an interesting post, Wanderling. I think your conclusion is a valid one, in many cases at least. I'm in a quite different situation. I'm retired from teaching, and I'm doing basically my own freelance research and writing; so collaboration is not a factor, and I'm free to put together my digital toolbox as I please. Also, I have purposely resisted being sucked into the MS Office universe ("Captain, it's a tractor beam! Apparently emanating from somewhere near Redmond, Washington!"). So I do well with Evernote on my computers and Android phone to gather notes, references, ideas, links, etc.; Scrivener for organizing the material gathered through Evernote, and crafting it into draft materials; and Nota Bene for the serious writing and polishing. My circumstances, methods, and workflow are a great fit for Evernote; but it can't be that way for everyone.

• Thanks 2
12 hours ago, DTLow said:

I don't know about ON, but I know that no one is looking at my encrypted Evernote data.  
I have no security concerns with storing encrypted data in the Evernote cloud.

Could be but I like to get into my notes and constantly add stuff. So everytime when I want to add stuff, it gets boring to first unlock the PDF file with the pass and then do this and that, right?

Also, does evernote have local saving option only? 

I will still say I like it more than OneNote but the company decided to...

5 hours ago, Mr Jumbo Guy said:

Could be but I like to get into my notes and constantly add stuff. So everytime when I want to add stuff, it gets boring to first unlock the PDF file with the pass and then do this and that, right?

Also, does evernote have local saving option only? 

I will still say I like it more than OneNote but the company decided to...

And that’s the key... Office and Exchange are very deeply entrenched in the business world, and Onenote is very deeply integrated into MS ecosystem. I can join a meeting on Skype via Outlook and with a single click start a new note with entire meeting information (and attachments) already embedded into it and linked to the meeting in Calendar. That is very convenient. 

Six months ago, very few people at my company even knew of Onenote. It was installed with Office and never used. Now, pretty much everyone’s on it - and starting to use it for their personal stuff (I had to explain to four co-workers over two days how MS HUP program works). The deep integration into the key components of the business process and accessibility from everywhere is the key.

Evernote can certainly get there, too. They have a great framework already. The issue is with getting their foot at the door in the business world, and enticing employees into getting a personal account via some kind of a discount program of their own.

1 hour ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

And that’s the key... Office and Exchange are very deeply entrenched in the business world, and Onenote is very deeply integrated into MS ecosystem. I can join a meeting on Skype via Outlook and with a single click start a new note with entire meeting information (and attachments) already embedded into it and linked to the meeting in Calendar. That is very convenient. 

Six months ago, very few people at my company even knew of Onenote. It was installed with Office and never used. Now, pretty much everyone’s on it - and starting to use it for their personal stuff (I had to explain to four co-workers over two days how MS HUP program works). The deep integration into the key components of the business process and accessibility from everywhere is the key.

Evernote can certainly get there, too. They have a great framework already. The issue is with getting their foot at the door in the business world, and enticing employees into getting a personal account via some kind of a discount program of their own.

About Evernote, I would like to know if we can only save our notes and notebooks locally in our PC and not even a tiny bit in Evernote cloud?

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Mr Jumbo Guy said:

About Evernote, I would like to know if we can only save our notes and notebooks locally in our PC and not even a tiny bit in Evernote cloud?

Evernote has a Local Notebook feature.  The data is not sync'd to the cloud.

It's not clear why we'd use a cloud service and not the cloud.

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote has a Local Notebook feature.  The data is not sync'd to the cloud.

Because I dont want them to see my things?

And suppose I am on the go and I suddenly remember a thing or get an idea about something and I have to add it to my existing note, then copying the pdf password and then unlocking it and writing the idea there seems a bit too annoying.

22 hours ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

Onenote’s tight integration with Exchange, Skype, Teams, Outlook Tasks etc. just makes it too valuable of a project tool.

I agree, that is a huge advantage. I am trying to use more Microsoft Teams with my team and I just added the OneNote tab to a channel. I can easily see the benefit there by itself. You can have project notes that everybody can see and edit etc. 

I used to use OneNote and I think it is a great note taking app but I think it falls short for storing documents and tagging for my use at least. I will continue to play with it under the Microsoft Teams tab to see if it has changed a lot since my times back in 2013ish.

15 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

I agree, that is a huge advantage. I am trying to use more Microsoft Teams with my team and I just added the OneNote tab to a channel. I can easily see the benefit there by itself. You can have project notes that everybody can see and edit etc. 

I used to use OneNote and I think it is a great note taking app but I think it falls short for storing documents and tagging for my use at least. I will continue to play with it under the Microsoft Teams tab to see if it has changed a lot since my times back in 2013ish.

You see, everyone's tastes are different :)

I think that for storing documents (attachments), Onenote is actually better than most other similar apps. They can be placed anywhere, accompanied with notes, etc. You're not being forced into a particular layout. And I use plaintext in-line tags, so finding them works the same in any system (I generally dislike having to assign pre-canned tags from a menu).

What irritates me about Onenote are other things, slow sync (although it's been improving lately), no built-in alerts (I am not going to create an Outlook tasks for every reminder, besides I can't do it on iOS anyway), the whole concept of "Printouts", the fact that if I annotate a screenshot or a PDF printout inside Onenote the ink isn't grouped with underlying image so I better not move it accidentally,  and many other small annoyances.

But as I said.. I am no longer looking at it as the ultimate single tool, but something that supports my overall workflow. If I was using Google ecosystem on a daily basis at work, I'd use it for personal stuff as well and make it work. Makes things significantly easier.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

About 75% of my Evernote usage is with local notebooks.  Everything work related stays off the cloud.  I find value with cloud sync but for how I use Evernote, I place greater value in local notebooks.  If we had encrypted notebooks my usage would be different.  If local notebook support was ever dropped without adding encrypted notebooks I would be forced to move to another tool for my work.  

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Mr Jumbo Guy said:

Because I dont want them to see my things?

4 hours ago, s2sailor said:

About 75% of my Evernote usage is with local notebooks.

Without the cloud, what's your purpose for using Evernote.
I like the search and tag feature, but there's no OCR, no backup, no multi-platform syncing, no sharing (public note links), no .....

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Without the cloud, what's your purpose for uing Evernote

I was an early user of EverNote before it became cloud based and was perfectly happy using it on a single PC as my external "work" brain for storage and quick retrieval of whatever I needed.  It was an amazing and unique program back then.  My personal use of it grew after cloud syncing and the iOS app was added.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, CalS said:

For all the capabilities of the software but the syncing perhaps.

I'll leave it to other users for comments on the software.  There are some posts in the forums.

20 hours ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

You see, everyone's tastes are different :)

I think that for storing documents (attachments), Onenote is actually better than most other similar apps. They can be placed anywhere, accompanied with notes, etc. You're not being forced into a particular layout. And I use plaintext in-line tags, so finding them works the same in any system (I generally dislike having to assign pre-canned tags from a menu).

What irritates me about Onenote are other things, slow sync (although it's been improving lately), no built-in alerts (I am not going to create an Outlook tasks for every reminder, besides I can't do it on iOS anyway), the whole concept of "Printouts", the fact that if I annotate a screenshot or a PDF printout inside Onenote the ink isn't grouped with underlying image so I better not move it accidentally,  and many other small annoyances.

But as I said.. I am no longer looking at it as the ultimate single tool, but something that supports my overall workflow. If I was using Google ecosystem on a daily basis at work, I'd use it for personal stuff as well and make it work. Makes things significantly easier.

I just tried inserting a PDF into a note in OneNote, and I must admit it is not bad! Moving the PDF within the note is kind of nice and you can place two PDFs side by side which can provide really nice comparison opportunities. And I am not a fan of the PDF viewer that was introduced in 6.8 (windows app) which is another reason why I am on 6.7. The PDF in OneNote looks like how it is in Evernote pre 6.8. I may play with OneNote a little bit more from that sense.

Another thing about OneNote that was not sitting well with me is the forced page size. You started with a letter size page no matter how big or long your note was. It seems like it is now a big blank canvas but still feels like I am wasting space when I type in a short note. I like the look of Evernote notes when it comes to that. This complaint (!) sounds stupid but that's how I felt at the time. :) 

The biggest advantage of the way it handles PDFs - from my perspective - is the ability to neatly place related PDFs inside a table. Really helps to visually organize project data while keeping it somewhat compact.

But, it's web clipper isn't nearly as good as Evernote's.

In the end, it's all about what makes sense to you... both are great tools.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

the ability to neatly place related PDFs inside a table. Really helps to visually organize project data while keeping it somewhat compact.

Is this an ON or Evernote comment?

I use tables for my Evernote notes; multi column, combined cells, colour background
This provides a great layout for the note.  The default note layout is sequential, top to bottom.

Also the size of pdfs and images is constrained by the cell width.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DTLow said:

Is this an ON or Evernote comment?

I use tables for my Evernote notes; multi column, combined cells, colour background
This provides a great layout for the note.  The default note layout is sequential, top to bottom.

Also the size of pdfs and images is constrained by the cell width.

It was an ON comment but this probably applies to Evernote as well... it’s been a while since I used the Tables in EN, so I am not sure what features it supports. 

Here’s an example... it’s a template I made for engineering proposal layout review meetings. The meeting notes are on the left, the drawing files and comments are saved in the table on the right.  It’s positioned in such a way that when I print it to a PDF, the notes are on one page and the table on another, so I can send just the meeting notes out without the proposal comments that I may want to keep to myself. The todo and follow up items are tagged with built-in tags (although I may use plaintext tags for that when I feel like it). I may have more than one table, sometimes I use a project-wide ToDo list table that can be sorted by Start date / Due date / Priority / assignee ... it all depends on scope of a particular project, and just how involved and organized I want this to be. 

Tables are one of my favorite features for organizing data. They make it so much easier to work with records.

868A5022-4BB1-4411-8542-648289F9A18D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

With Evernote getting rid of Plus I will probably go back to OneNote. I want to financially support the company with Plus but I barely use over what the Basic account gives you but I need more than two devices. 

I end up using other products to make up for what Evernote lacks or isn’t that great one of which is the text editor. It’s like I have to pay for other products to make make Evernote fit into my workflow. I remember Evernote mentioning a new text editor but that was years ago. Premium is almost to the cost of Office 365 which I also pay for and I get way more value from. 

I wonder if Plus was too popular and there wasn’t enough difference for Premium to push customers to Premium. 

They introduced Plus because they wanted to give a paid tier because you got too much for free. Now yet again they change price tiers without improving much besides some cosmetic changes

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, CVJ said:

With Evernote getting rid of Plus

The Plus account tier was dropped for new customers, there is no change for existing customers.

>>I end up using other products to make up for what Evernote lacks or isn’t that great one of which is the text editor. It’s like I have to pay for other products to make make Evernote fit into my workflow 

I use a few applicaions; the best tool for the job.
My text editor app is Textastic; Evernote does include a free enml/html editor along with the filing service.
My word processing app is Word/Pages. Excel/Numbers for spreadsheets.

I know a lot of people make light of the "freeform" layout capabilities that ON has- for me, I do not find that as big a deal. I use it more for its storage and search capabilities...so just attaching a bunch of stuff together in a note from a project is no big deal= the search function is awesome enough that I can find what I need. And as DTlow said, the table layout stuff that EN has built in now makes organization (if I need it) fine for me.

The other biggie for me in ON- the whole tie to your OneDrive space- my EN database is north of 10Gb now- I have started to use it to store PDF's of old magazines I want to keep (w/o the paper). I use a scanning service in CA to scan and return files to me online, which I then ingest into EN. They are then fully searchable.

And as I said before...I tried once to do a transfer of my EN file to ON. It. Was. Horrible. I would essentially have to completely reformat and rework everything once I got it into ON- IF i could. No thanks.

• Like 1

Hi, I like Evernote very much. Its friendly and the UI is awesome but being limited to only 60 Mb/month on the FREE version is a HUGE down factor compared to OneNote which is TOTALLY FREE and there is NO limit on the amount of uploads and the size of notes in OneNote.

I'm not saying to make it free because its an awesome handy app but saying that on the free version they should increase from 60 mb only to something a bit bigger than that.

What do you all think?

Great obeservation. For me I just hate anything Microsof. Past experiences using their products I’ve just have a destaIn using nothing Microsoft. Evernote is a handy app and fits my workflow a lot better.

2 hours ago, OMNIZEN said:

Great obeservation. For me I just hate anything Microsof. Past experiences using their products I’ve just have a destaIn using nothing Microsoft. Evernote is a handy app and fits my workflow a lot better.

Correct. I like evernote's smoothness more than any other note-taking app.

What do you all think?

For me it’s about not being in Microsoft ecosystem I really dislike their business model and applicstions. So I might be biased. Evernote overall has this feel and integration that makes it stand out not just from one note but many note application. I like the tight integration not just with other apps but also Apple. The clipper is more prominent, simplistic ui compared to onenote. Overall it’s about preference, they have identical feature set and both heavy hitters but playing video “/audio, scanning feature and integration stand out for me as Evernote clear winner 

• Like 1
On 6/16/2018 at 8:55 AM, AlanNotes said:

I think Evernote is great for organization and recall. Tagging is very efficient and not something that OneNote implements in the same way and are not searchable. I think both are great products though. 

I have about 1000 notes at this point, and I know many on the forums have many more. I'm not sure if I could do the same thing in OneNote without it getting unwieldy. 

-Alan 

I totally agree.  Former OneNote user, my experience may be dated now, but OneNote never worked for me. Also, it may be a personal paradigm preference thing, but the free from nature of Evernote is what blows OneNote away for me.  Searching isn't in the same league.  At the time I was using OneNote mobile apps were useless.

8 hours ago, OMNIZEN said:

For me it’s about not being in Microsoft ecosystem I really dislike their business model and applicstions. So I might be biased. Evernote overall has this feel and integration that makes it stand out not just from one note but many note application. I like the tight integration not just with other apps but also Apple. The clipper is more prominent, simplistic ui compared to onenote. Overall it’s about preference, they have identical feature set and both heavy hitters but playing video “/audio, scanning feature and integration stand out for me as Evernote clear winner 

Agreed.  Like many others I'm locked into MS at work, but at home I'm mostly Linux.  The only drawback to Evernote for me is no native Linux app, however the web client suffices when necessary, but I find the android app for my tablet and ios app to be more than sufficient; which is more than I can say for OneNote.  I get a kick out of people saying onenote is free; it's fries with everything else you're paying a fortune to use.  The thing that drove me to Linux many years ago was not being able to replace an OEM windows OS at no cost on a hard drive failure.  Sure I could have had a backup (I did of data), but I didn't, still I wasn't paying twice. Years later, most of my home systems have been someone else's cast offs re-imaged with Linux.

I got my first "Switch to Premium" ad while using the web clipper in Chrome....... So I got a big upgrade button in the desktop, I get footnotes at the end of some of my notes and now the clipper is advertising trying to get me to upgrade....

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2018 at 1:50 AM, Mr Jumbo Guy said:

What do you all think?

Not sure if the OP or anyone else is still reading this, but this actually came up in a search I was doing to see if ON vs EN was any different.

I actually began using Evernote in like 2008, 2009 maybe in response to the fact that OneNote didn't sync across devices. I use a desktop, a laptop, and a smartphone, so being able to access notes across these devices was important and OneNote or any M$ product had that capability. 

I only went back to OneNote because of the price hike, as I could only use two of my devices. I'm a writer - both professionally and personally - so I've ended up using both (though I'm using more ON than EN now), however there is one giant pet peeve about ON that I just can't understand why it's not fixed, especially with this mixed focus M$ has now. I use EN for work and ON for personal writing, as I like the notebook style because it means I can keep stories and series separate, much better than EN (which was just piles of loose sheets inside a notebook)

However, the reason I loved EN and kinda wish I could go back was the flipping fact that it's RWD (responsive web design). I have an 11 inch laptop and when i pull up EN, it fits an 11 inch laptop. if I put it in windowed mode on the side to pull up a word doc or something, it adjusts to one side of my screen. This is in every iteration of EN - desktop app, Windows 10 app, and even when I had a Note 2 and could split screen, it acted accordingly. This DOES NOT happen in OneNote.

I have three 24 inch monitors, two of them in portrait mode. I had to resize the desktop version to fit my portrait mode, which of course is now out of whack on my laptop. This also happens in the windows 10 app (which is surprising, as Microsoft's whole platform now is about people being able to switch between devices. Obviously only if you own a Surface).

To go against the naysayers here, OneNote IS free - or rather the mobile app is free. that means anyone on Android or iPhonne can download it. The issue with Windows 10 is that you'll most like get harassed by the whole 'get office 365'.

Overall, I like EN over ON, but the notebook structure works better for writing.

On 6/16/2018 at 3:50 AM, Mr Jumbo Guy said:

... compared to OneNote which is TOTALLY FREE and there is NO limit on the amount of uploads and the size of notes in OneNote.

What do you all think?

Um...I think you might be confused? I thought the last time I checked...while technically your statment is correct...you are in the end, limited- to the amount of space in your OneDrive.

Eric

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, xbliss said:

Interesting comparisons. I am wondering if there are any Tablet PC users among those using both? 

While OneNote on a Mac may be an option, using it on an iPad is no option for me because of it's limit space for reading Note titles - to narrow. No Tags - so, nice to create a note, e. g. using your Apple Pencil, but a pain to find it again.

Sorry if some of this is duplicate. I haven't read all the posts yet. 

1. Evernote tagging is top notch. With OneNote you are not as free to add custom tags as you are in evernote.  

2. The search function works better in Evernote than in OneNote.  I can even search PDF documents and pictures which last time I was in OneNote, it did but not as well.

3. Mobile aspects for Evernote are great.  When you use OneNote on a mobile device you have to scroll left and right to get the information to show. It won't adjust for the size of the screen. 

4. Mail to Evernote allows me to send mail from any address to my evernote account. OneNote, I have to register each address I want to send mail from. 

On 10/30/2018 at 10:59 PM, EricLorenz said:

Um...I think you might be confused? I thought the last time I checked...while technically your statment is correct...you are in the end, limited- to the amount of space in your OneDrive.

Eric

You are correct. OneNote is free but if you don't have an office365 account you are only allowed a total of 5gb of storage on OneDrive. If you eat that up with other things, your OneNote space is limited. 

On 4/5/2020 at 2:10 PM, xbliss said:

Interesting comparisons. I am wondering if there are any Tablet PC users among those using both? 

Lets get specific on this - Windows based Tablet PC's & its INKING with One Note vs EverNote

On 4/5/2020 at 7:13 PM, stocky2605 said:

While OneNote on a Mac may be an option, using it on an iPad is no option for me because of it's limit space for reading Note titles - to narrow. No Tags - so, nice to create a note, e. g. using your Apple Pencil, but a pain to find it again.

I am wondering about people who use BOTH, for their Strengths & Weaknesses on a Windows Tablet PC like Surface Pro etc.