automatic tagging of scans

I want things I scan to automatically get a tag for “student’s name.” Is there some way I can mark the student’s papers — with a bar code, or a checkmark in a certain spot, or a big number in the upper left that will get OCR’d — anything, really! — so that a corresponding tag will get applied to the Evernote note when it’s scanned?

I’ve looked at some integrations (Rocketbook) but haven’t found anything quite there yet.

I’m open to workflow thoughts, too!

Many thanks,

g.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, grahampcharles said:

I want things I scan to automatically get a tag for “student’s name.” .... I’m open to workflow thoughts, too!

I can't see an automated solution for this.
There are similar requests for receipts; automatically get the vendor, or amount.

On my Mac, I can use a script to display and select from a list of student names.  The script can then do functions like tag and title.
I use this process for procesing my receipt scans.  I get lists for vendors, budget categories, ...

• Level 5

Are you saying you want each scanned paper to be automatically tagged with the individual student's name? I'm not sure that that could be technologically feasible, absent some kind of mind-reading chip. :)

But if you just want to tag all student papers with something like "English 101 paper," then there might be some workflow solutions. EN doesn't do automatic tagging, except for emailed notes. (See the instructions here.) So perhaps you could have students email you their papers, and then forward them to your Evernote account, specifying a tag. Hopefully your email program might have a way of automating this to some extent. (In Thunderbird, I use an extension called enforward.) You could, of course, give your students your Evernote email address and have them send the papers there, appropriately tagged; that would depend on your level of trust!

If you're scanning, I assume you're scanning into an import folder, which is linked to a specific Evernote notebook. I don't do this myself, but I would think that if you set up a notebook designated just to receive those scanned papers, you could then mass-tag everything in the notebook after the scanning.

Hope that's some help!

I'm not sure that that could be technologically feasible, absent some kind of mind-reading chip

Not a mind-reading chip — you’re misunderstanding my question. This type of tracking is a common requirement of document management systems, and usually involves a bar code sticker or an OCR zone where each student (cf. worker) makes his or her “mark” (say, by filling in a bubble, ScanTron style). 

As a comparison, RocketBook does this already — using a checkmark in one of eight zones to target different storage services. But it won’t do Evernote tagging. 

• Level 5

Ah, I see. So it's the scanning process that would convert the bar code or OCR text to something that Evernote could recognize as a tag. It sounds like a neat feature, but I don't believe it's implemented yet. But I'm far enough out of my technical depth here not to know what would be the best workaround.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, grahampcharles said:

I'm not sure that that could be technologically feasible, absent some kind of mind-reading chip

Not a mind-reading chip — you’re misunderstanding my question. This type of tracking is a common requirement of document management systems, and usually involves a bar code sticker or an OCR zone where each student (cf. worker) makes his or her “mark” (say, by filling in a bubble, ScanTron style). 

As a comparison, RocketBook does this already — using a checkmark in one of eight zones to target different storage services. But it won’t do Evernote tagging. 

Closest you might be able to get in EN would be to legibly write/stamp the "tag" on the document.  Real good chance this would problematic and unreliable.  FWIW.  

The Evernote Moleskine notebooks have different 'stickers' that can trigger different tags to be added.  I wish that the developers would open this up so that the stickers would work on ANY paper (instead of just the Evernote Moleskine notebooks)  as I always have so many of them  (stickers) left over -- it sounds quite similar to what you're talking about in the original message - on a perhaps more 'basic' approach.

• 6 months later...

I have some forms that I print and have people fill out.

What I do is put a keyword or code at the bottom of my form. It's printed in a clear font, away from where they would write anything.

Now when that is scanned into evernote, I can search the recently scanned documents for that keyword and it brings up those documents, then select all, and manually tag.

But it would be nice if I could have my forms autotagged as long a certain syntax is used, like if at the bottom of my forms I have #incident, it would be tagged with the incident tag.

As it is now, if I just search for incident on my documents, it will pull up anything containing that word, so the document has to be scanned with a full-text search and what it finds has to be unique, so I make up an ID and search for it, like zzincident.

By no means optimal or automated, but it helps.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mds386 said:

But it would be nice if I could have my forms autotagged as long a certain syntax is used, like if at the bottom of my forms I have #incident, it would be tagged with the incident tag.

Auto-tagging is not an Evernote feature

Your keyword solution works for me. 
I use tag_aaaaaaa and rely on Evernote's text search feature.
This also allows me to insert tags within a note's contents

I have implemented auto-tagging with scripting on a Mac
Third party Filterize also supports auto-tagging

Archived