Can't connect to server issue 2018 - SOLUTION

I have had major issues connecting to evernote server after logging out on windows 10. It will come up with can't connect to server or couldn't connect to server.
I tried all the usual things and all those suggested by evernote with no luck. Then I worked out the following that worked for me. I hope this might help some poor sole that has tried everything else. 

if Evernote can't connect to server - Possible solution if others don't work
go to Internet explorer then settings, then internet options
then advanced, scroll down and turn off ssl 3, enable tsl 1 and disable tsl 2 and tsl 3
if this doesn't work try enabling tsl 2 etc etc until it works 
evernote does not support SSL 3 apparently but even with all the TSL's on it sometimes still does not work
so disabling some or the lot and applying it then turning just one on seems to make it work straight away. 
Wasted a whole day trying to get this to work and its very frustrating should sent evernote a bill for wasting my time. 

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Even I had the same issue. I tried the combination of enabling tsl options but to no avail. However, I uninstalled and then reinstalled the software and it worked (didn't try it in the first place as I thought my unsynced data will get lost, but it was saved ).

• 11 months later...

Having the same issue with "Could Not Connect to Server" when trying to open the EV Windows app.  I'd like to re-install, but Im concerned about loosing data. I looked everywhere the EV documentation and message boards stated and cannot find an evernote data store. The app WAS working and there were considerable notes in the past, so my question is, If I re-install will the existing Notes be saved or will I loose them?

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums! You won't lose any notes, since they are stored permanently on the Evernote servers--that is, you won't lose anything if you have synced your most recent additions and edits, and if you can't connect to the server you can't do that. So do be careful here. You can find where the notes are located by going to the Tools menu, then Options > General. On the right side at the bottom will be a blue link to open the folder where the note database is. But the database is in a proprietary format, and you can't just examine it to be sure everything is there. But you could copy it to a safe location before uninstalling. After that, things would get complicated.

But it seems to me that the first thing to sort out is why you can't connect to the Evernote server. That could be a temporary glitch in your Internet service, or in Evernote's, or somewhere in between. If all the connections seem to be working on your end (you can go online, browse the Web, get email, etc.), then give it another try. If you still can't connect, it's conceivable that you've entered the wrong logon credentials. It's surprisingly easy to swap email addresses and even create a new, empty account.

I'd recommend first going to the Evernote Web interface: https://www.evernote.com/client/web. Log on there, and see if all your notes are present and updated. If they are, then you're safe, and you can uninstall Evernote from your computer and reinstall it, and let it download all the notes. But if you still can't connect with the server, that still won't work. You might want to reach out to Evernote support via Twitter, which I believe is available to Basic users.

Thanks Dave! I can't even get into the app to check those things however. I should have phrased it, The app will not open at all and I get a "Could Not Connect to Server" error. All other connections, i.e internet, email, network are working so i'v eliminated that.

I too tried to connect using the Web interface but when I use my Nord VPN it says that the connection is not secure. It also will not let me sync the regular Evernote program.  I installed the latest version, but when using the VPN I cannot connect.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, cikamarko said:

I too tried to connect using the Web interface but when I use my Nord VPN it says that the connection is not secure. It also will not let me sync the regular Evernote program.  I installed the latest version, but when using the VPN I cannot connect.

Problems with NordVPN, and a solution, have been reported in this thread:

• 4 weeks later...

Immediately after upgrading my main desktop computer. I cannot connect to server. Internet connection is fine, windows 10, everything is still fine on my laptop and my Samsung Galaxy 9 Android. After repeated attempt to login and remove and then reinstall program i simply cannot get Evernote to open on my desktop system? Any insight? 

• 8 months later...
On 8/27/2019 at 11:02 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Problems with NordVPN, and a solution, have been reported in this thread:

I've been trying to setup Evernote on a new android device. 

Installed app, then when it came to login, saw the dreaded: 

you cannot sign in at the moment this is likely caused by a bad connection to the internet

Searched online and saw this post that says it may be because basic account only allows 2 devices at a time. 

Logged in to desktop and revoked access to my old android device. Tried logging in on new device. Same error message as above. 

Tried clearing cache/ storage. Same error. Tried uninstalling app then re-installing, same sob story.

Then I saw the quoted post above about VPN, which gave me the idea of Connected to UK location through Expressvpn (I'm currently away from UK). then tried logging in on app on new phone. 

Logged in. No probs.

So, it seems I was prevented from logging in because my location wasn't in the UK. It seems a VPN can be a curse as well as a blessing.

Sorry, if I posted in the wrong place. wasn't sure whether to post here or on the other thread. Since, the VPN post was what gave me the idea. figured best to post here. I will try and put a link on the other thread to this post.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/13/2018 at 3:45 PM, John Wick said:

I have had major issues connecting to evernote server after logging out on windows 10. It will come up with can't connect to server or couldn't connect to server.
I tried all the usual things and all those suggested by evernote with no luck. Then I worked out the following that worked for me. I hope this might help some poor sole that has tried everything else. 

if Evernote can't connect to server - Possible solution if others don't work
go to Internet explorer then settings, then internet options
then advanced, scroll down and turn off ssl 3, enable tsl 1 and disable tsl 2 and tsl 3
if this doesn't work try enabling tsl 2 etc etc until it works 
evernote does not support SSL 3 apparently but even with all the TSL's on it sometimes still does not work
so disabling some or the lot and applying it then turning just one on seems to make it work straight away. 
Wasted a whole day trying to get this to work and its very frustrating should sent evernote a bill for wasting my time. 

Thanks.

How strange, but it works.  Just play with the SSL and TSL settings, one of those combinations work!

• 11 months later...
On 9/23/2019 at 8:14 AM, Chad Smith said:

Immediately after upgrading my main desktop computer. I cannot connect to server. Internet connection is fine, windows 10, everything is still fine on my laptop and my Samsung Galaxy 9 Android. After repeated attempt to login and remove and then reinstall program i simply cannot get Evernote to open on my desktop system? Any insight? 

It's now 2022 and I'm having the same problem! Did you find a fix?