PNG image paste failure

I'm running Evernote 6.13.12 (Beta 3), but this behavior also occurred in the latest non-beta release.

Windows 10 Version 1803 Build 17134.81

After copying an image from Snagit 2018 to the clipboard, I attempted to paste the image into a note. Regardless of whether I use the shortcut key or the Edit menu paste options, the image does not appear. The cursor moves to the right the width of the image, but then just stays there. The image is not visible.

This problem is new, and may be related to Windows 10 Version 1803 because the problem did not exist prior to that.

Also, the default hot key for paste (Ctrl-Alt-V) does not paste, but causes a new blank note to be created. If I reassign Ctrl-V to the paste operation, I get the same result: a new note gets created instead of a paste operation occurring. If I save the Snagit image to disk, then drag-drop it to Evernote, that works. But it's annoying that clipboard operations are broken.

<rant>I am so annoyed at common things that break whenever an update occurs that I'm thinking of giving up on Evernote altogether.</rant>

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, Bob1275 said:

Also, the default hot key for paste (Ctrl-Alt-V) does not paste,

Ctrl+Alt+V is the default Evernote shortcut for the "Paste to Evernote" operation ("Paste clipboard" in Tools / Options), meaning the contents of the clipboard will be pasted into a new note. Ctrl+V is the standard Windows key for 'Paste' (i.e., paste into the location that currently has focus. If you override Ctrl+V with "Paste to Evernote", then it's going to do a "Paste to Evernote" operation. If you want to paste to the current note, go back to the default settings, and use Ctrl+V, which is a standard paste operation.

I've notices in the last couple of betas that the paste location for attachments isn't quite right, but images seem to be working fine. I don't use Snagit; I just use the Evernote screen clipper, which can put screen caps onto the clipboard.

I just noticed this myself...but i have the issue only when the snagit clip is a composite of more than 1 clip.

If i take a snag and then paste it (ctrl-V) into Evernote, it works fine.

If i take a second snag clip and add it to the first, then FLATTEN ALL, then COPY and Paste into Evernote, i get nothing.

I'm Win10 Enterprise 1709.

It all worked great on an earlier version of Windows ...actually Win7 Ent.

I will see if a workmate has a similar issue.

• 1 month later...

I'm having  the exact same issue and it seems to have started about two versions of Evernote ago (I'm presently on 6.11.2.7027 (307027) ).

It's a bit sporadic, but I seem to be able to reproduce the issue by expanding the size of the image I snagged. So if I drag one of the corners out in Snagit Editor, and paste it into an EN note, I only get the blank line the width of the image.

If I just copy/paste the image without the extra space created by dragging a corner out, it pastes fine.

I'm not sure whether this has always been the case when I'm pasting into EN and the problem appears, but I do seem to be able to reproduce the problem this way.

• 2 months later...

Applies to: 6.15.3.7881 (307881) Public (CE Build ce-53.2.6641): Similar to hanseric if I use any "Effects" in my Snagit Preset when I capture a screen image, it will not paste into Evernote.  However, if I don't use any Effects and just do a copy and paste, it works fine, 90% of the time.  The other 10% it will create the blank space other have mentioned.  At which point, I give it a few seconds, try it again and it works.  I don't believe it is Windows issue, since I have an older version of Evernote that I have installed and tried, which worked fine.  However, since Evernote's latest security updates, the older version of Evernote does not work anymore, so I was "forced" to use the latest version.  Given my line of work and the amount of documentation I do, this is a PITA.  I reported it to Evernote with extensive detail on how to reproduce, but I got the canned answer of " we will pass it on to our developers, please see if the issue is fixed in the next update".  I have reported this probably 4 times after the latest set of releases, without any fix.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JorgeC said:

However, since Evernote's latest security updates, the older version of Evernote does not work anymore, so I was "forced" to use the latest version.

Depending on the version you used to use, you can use at least one earlier version.; see 

• 1 month later...

Ok I have an update on this issue. Would have posted this earlier but by the time I figured it out, I had almost forgotten that I was participating in this thread!

The update is how to reproduce the issue when pasting from Snagit Editor to Evernote.

Copy/Paste works fine as long as you don't have any transparent background in the Snagit image

Here's a short Youtube showing the issue in action.  

NB: pasting an image which has no transparent image is no problem. It's only when there's even the slightest transparency, like if you slightly widen the background or add another image which exceed the original margins and the Snagit background resizes itself.

Oddly, one can paste a transparent background Snagit image into something else, like an Outlook email body and THEN copy/paste from that into Evernote without issue.

Even though in my video I say Snagit is the "cause" of the problem, what I meant was it is where I have to show the problem so I couldn't use it to do the screencast.

I'm about 90% sure this is something that came after a new Evernote version, although I couldn't tell you for sure which one (about 2-3 updates ago it seems to me. (EN updates much more frequently than Snagit, too, so that adds to my relative certainty that this is where the change happened, not on the Snagit end.)

Hope this helps resolve this elusive bug!

• 4 weeks later...

This worked for me. Thank you very much.  Instinctively I had looked at the Capture Window settings, never thought to look at the editor settings, given that my capture settings sent the image capture to the clipboard, I never actually open the editor, I just paste (CTRL-V) into evernote and other places.  However, given that this is working with the recommended fix, it appears that the editor settings also control the screen capture processing. Thanks again.

Same here.

Setting adjusted and happily copying-pasting now.

What does make me wonder is that it always did work in Powerpoint or Word, with or without the adjusted setting.

So I am not 100% convinced this is a pure Snagit problem.

Anyhow, problem can be avoided so I am not going to spend more time on it 😎

On 12/8/2018 at 8:58 PM, kmslogic said:

I was able to get this to work by following the instructions from this thread: https://support.techsmith.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001206072-Snagit-Windows-Paste-Images-Causes-Problems-in-Gmail-

Basically:

1. Open Snagit.
  2. Select Edit > Editor Preferences > Outputs.
  3. Click Clipboard and select Disable image transparency on clipboard.
  4. Click OK.

This helps, thanks! At least I can stop pasting it to Outlook first, now.

I'd much prefer to see the actual bug get fixed by Evernote, of course. There used to be no issue pasting a transparency into Evernote, at least from Snagit which is a hugely popular software in the software design/development community.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, hanseric said:

I'd much prefer to see the actual bug get fixed by Evernote, of course. There used to be no issue pasting a transparency into Evernote, at least from Snagit which is a hugely popular software in the software design/development community.

I'm wondering whether the common piece here is the CEF that Evernote uses and, I'd guess that GMail uses as well, given that the CEF is a Google thing.

On 12/14/2018 at 12:01 PM, jefito said:

I'm wondering whether the common piece here is the CEF that Evernote uses and, I'd guess that GMail uses as well, given that the CEF is a Google thing.

@jefito What does CEF (I'm assuming that's Chromium Embedded Framework) do in this context? What's the method of action, if you will? I'm curious if you don't mind breaking that down a little more.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, hanseric said:

Yeah saw that, thanks. Just wan't quite getting how an embedded browser might be being used in this use case. But maybe I'm just not thinking it through well enough.

Basically, ENML is quite close to HTML, so the embedded browser is the display engine for Evernote notes. I don't know the details, but I'd also guess that CEF is also used to mediate interaction with notes while editing.

Archived