Chrome Web Clipper Fails to Use Simplified Formatting

tumo

Idea

The Chrome web clipper extension does not clip with simplified formatting even though it is selected. I believe this has been the case since around May 2018 or so.

When I then manually simplify the formatting in the note inside the Mac Evernote app, it fails to capture paragraph breaks correctly, so the text gets a little bit jammed together.

The Firefox extension works fine with simplified formatting.

10 replies to this idea

Refreshing this bug — When using the Chrome Clipper, the note as it appears in the Evernote Mac app uses PT Serif font, even though that is not my default (and thus simplified) font. When doing the exact same clipping in Firefox, the note shows up in the Evernote Mac app with my default font, which is Avenir. 

Why does the Chrome web clipper force the text into the wrong font when using the simplified formatting option?

As far as I can tell, the Evernote web clipper doesn't work on Chrome on a Windoz 10 computer. It's been this way for quite some time now (a month or so, perhaps?). Why is this not a very important bug to fix? One of the most important features of EN is having access to the web clipper and its simplified formatting. 

It appears to work on Firefox, and last time I tried, sort of worked in Opera, but then the web clipper in Opera was never much good. Why can't we have a reliable web clipper in the world's most used browser? 

• Level 5*
On 7/16/2018 at 9:41 PM, lgpiper said:

As far as I can tell, the Evernote web clipper doesn't work on Chrome on a Windoz 10 computer. It's been this way for quite some time now (a month or so, perhaps?). Why is this not a very important bug to fix? One of the most important features of EN is having access to the web clipper and its simplified formatting. 

It appears to work on Firefox, and last time I tried, sort of worked in Opera, but then the web clipper in Opera was never much good. Why can't we have a reliable web clipper in the world's most used browser? 

New version of Chrome clipper is out, 7.4.  It seems to be working fine for me.

I upgraded and still experience the same problem. Chrome does not clip in simplified formatting on some websites (nytimes.com), even when told to do so. It forces the text into PT Serif. This text is way too small on the iPhone app. When I manually simplify it, it fails to make correct paragraph breaks. Firefox works fine.

On 7/20/2018 at 9:20 AM, CalS said:

New version of Chrome clipper is out, 7.4.  It seems to be working fine for me.

I've tried updating, but seem to have gotten something wrong in the translation of how to do that. The attempt to update has yet to work, and I'm still on 7.3. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, lgpiper said:

I've tried updating, but seem to have gotten something wrong in the translation of how to do that. The attempt to update has yet to work, and I'm still on 7.3. 

Try uninstalling and reinstalling.  Then update the options to how you want.  I had to do this this past time.  For whatever reason update did not work..

4 hours ago, CalS said:

Try uninstalling and reinstalling.  Then update the options to how you want.  I had to do this this past time.  For whatever reason update did not work..

Thanks. I have now done that, and am now on 7.4, but it still won't clip. Chrome claims to be up to date: Version 67.0.3396.99. 

Well, that's really weird. I tried several articles in "simplified article" mode, and just got the endless spinning wheel, as has been my lot for weeks. No clipping. So, I thought to simplify a page using the Instapaper Text extension. Then I clipped that page as "article". That worked like a charm. BUT THEN, when I retried clipping as a simplified article, the clipper was back in action. So, perhaps I'm now good to go. As an added bonus, one article I've been trying to clip, off and on for the past week, showed up in EN with four shiny, new clips. 

With luck, I can go back to normal endeavors. Thanks all for the suggestions, etc. 

The latest version of Evernote Clipper for Chrome still causes the same problems. It fails to clip with simplified formatting on a number of websites. Firefox clipper does not have the same problem.

Archived