christophjmartin@gmail.com

ANSWERED MIND MAP for Evernote

Dear All,

First of all, I love Evernote and using it for year now - thanks for helping boosting my organization and productivity.

There is one thing that really helps me when I study for certain subjects which is MINDMAPing (http://www.tonybuzan.com/about/mind-mapping/). 

I do this separately on a sheet of paper and then scan it in to have it in mindmap, however, new information are often added and it evolves over time which makes a rigid scan difficult to adjust. I was wondering if you could implement a mind mapping function so mind maps could be integrated into a note and one can always add new trees or remove them etc. This would be so amazing. 

Pls let me know if that would be possible at all.

Best,

CJM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Try Mohio, it's a 3rd party app that lets you organize your Evernote notes in a mindmap.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, RY27 said:

Try Mohio, it's a 3rd party app that lets you organize your Evernote notes in a mindmap.

MohioMap has been down for a while which is sad since I thought it had a lot of potential. Hopefully, they will make a comeback.

image.png.c64e8fd812d991952ca5d3cfc5a9f8d4.png

On 6/6/2018 at 4:40 AM, christophjmartin@gmail.com said:

Dear All,

First of all, I love Evernote and using it for year now - thanks for helping boosting my organization and productivity.

There is one thing that really helps me when I study for certain subjects which is MINDMAPing (http://www.tonybuzan.com/about/mind-mapping/). 

I do this separately on a sheet of paper and then scan it in to have it in mindmap, however, new information are often added and it evolves over time which makes a rigid scan difficult to adjust. I was wondering if you could implement a mind mapping function so mind maps could be integrated into a note and one can always add new trees or remove them etc. This would be so amazing. 

Pls let me know if that would be possible at all.

Best,

CJM

I use xMind software for my mind mapping. It has an Export to Evernote function but it is not dynamic. 

For your mind maps to be "living", I would recommend either attaching the mind map file to an note and open that attachment from Evernote every time or uploading the mind map to a cloud service such as DropBox and providing the link into an Evernote for easier access.

xMind is really affordable in my opinion compared to some of the mind mapping software so I recommend looking into a software like that.

Paper mind mapping is probably better as we think differently when using a pen and paper so your method is probably a great way of doing it however, as you are experiencing it, it lacks the flexibility of an electronic version.

I don't use mind maps but I have several spreadsheets that are living documents.  As mentioned by @TK0047 you can just attach your file to a note and then double clicking on it will open it like normal.  Any changes will get saved to the document attached to the note. 

Sometimes I don't want a document in Evernote and will instead create a shortcut and attach the shortcut to a note.  Doubling clicking on the shortcut in the note will open it like normal but any changes will get saved to the document stored on the HDD, outside of Evernote.  The note shortcut just provides access to the file, nothing is stored in the note.

@TK0047@s2sailor thank you very much! I will look into it. It maybe even a better solution than the one I originally envisioned 

Just thinking out loud and conscious that Evernote is a big productivity tool, and I am a big fan of organizing and productivity enhancement.

Do you guys have any recommendation of system (Getting Things done et al.)/ techqniues / features that are super boost at Evernote -- :) 

10 minutes ago, christophjmartin@gmail.com said:

@TK0047@s2sailor thank you very much! I will look into it. It maybe even a better solution than the one I originally envisioned 

Just thinking out loud and conscious that Evernote is a big productivity tool, and I am a big fan of organizing and productivity enhancement.

Do you guys have any recommendation of system (Getting Things done et al.)/ techqniues / features that are super boost at Evernote -- :) 

You mentioned the magical GTD phrase, now you will get bunch of advice. :) I'll go first.

My GTD version:

• I have ACTIONABLE notebooks, one for work and one for personal
  • Then I keep rest in REFERENCE notebooks.
  • I rely on Tags highly however
  • My template for new notes:

image.thumb.png.87c1e5445249585f85a78d3876db6825.png

• So when you create your DESIRED OUTCOME, you should establish the next actions which I capture under the Next Actions section
    • I, however, use Todoist in conjunction with Evernote and TaskClone to send checkbox items to Todoist from Evernote directly
  • Once I complete an ACTIONABLE NOTE, I tag it COMPLETED and move it to another notebook.
  • The actionable notebooks allow me to look at things I have to do instead of bunch of other notes. Like GTD suggests, your categories must be crystal clear and you should not pile actionable material with reference material.
  • I have 0 - Collection Bucket notebook, which is the default notebook where everything I capture goes to
  • Then every day I process the collection bucket and dispatch them accordingly whether to a someday maybe notebook or to reference or to actionable notebook.

Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, christophjmartin@gmail.com said:

Do you guys have any recommendation of system (Getting Things done et al.)/ techqniues / features that are super boost at Evernote

You're hijacking your own discussion. It's better to start a new discussion with the title GTD.

I use a separate note for each task
For task management, I have two workflows

1. Processing tasks from my Inbox (default notebook)
  2. Processing tasks from project management

I use a saved search to produce my current task list       reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*
As you can see, its entirely date based (reminder date).1888651303_ScreenShot2018-06-08at07_08_09.png.35bb03039444c4cd02cf9b7017554641.png
I store due dates in the reminder feature.  If there's no formal due date, I assign current date to identify tasks I'm working on currently

Processing tasks from my Inbox (default notebook)

As I'm processing the notes, I flag actionable notes with     tag:!Actionable
I assign    tag:!Project - aaaaaa    if part of a project
I assign a due date (reminder feature) if appropriate

Processing tasks from project management

Each project has a master project note, flagged with    tag:!Type-Project66658489_ScreenShot2018-06-08at07_09_34.png.63c8e3979df84b68e886b3d1a856b5de.png
Each project has a separate tag (!Project - aaaa).  I do periodic reviews using the project tag.  
I use a saved seach to produce my active project list      tag:!Type-Project -Tag:!Archive

I add tasks as separate notes, assigning due dates (reminder feature) if appropriate.
From GTD standards, I don't worry about prioritization of tasks.  Just identify the next action.
I adjust due dates if required.  If there's no formal due date, I assign current date to identify tasks I'm working on currently

I review my project notes in title sequence.
To control the sequence, I prefix the note titles
       -Project Note
       ++Task (next action)
       +Task
       .Completed Task
      Miscellaneous notes (no prefix)

Calendar

When appropriate, I sync task entries to my calendar.  
I use a script on my Mac; there are third party products like Cronofy Calendar Connector

Daily Journal1974255768_ScreenShot2018-06-08at07_31_17.png.258938ccbc3d8ad572e980e117d1393d.png

My daily journal (Evernote Note) has sections for Current Tasks and Projects.  I populate these using the copy-links feature.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, christophjmartin@gmail.com said:

Do you guys have any recommendation of system (Getting Things done et al.)/ techqniues / features that are super boost at Evernote

There is a lot of GTD information out there already on the forums.  I would suggest digging through that some first and then if you have any questions or comments, post first to those threads or open a new one if the topic doesn't appear to have been covered elsewhere.

There's also a lot of information on mind mapping - just search on that topic on the EN forums. There is a thread from 2008 with something like 200 responses... Unfortunately, a lot of the 'solutions' offered seem to be either unavailable (eg, moh.io), or expensive (eg, xmind). I don't use mind mapping very often, but I learned about it in the dark ages of the Internet and have found it useful for putting random thoughts into some kind of order (like writing a book), but have yet to find a solution that will work across different platforms/software. Sometimes you want pdf outputs (which can be posted on EN), but other times it would be best to use Word or Excel or even Microsoft Project to do some of the things that 'mind-mapping' seems to cover. I am not sure that I will ever find the ideal app for mind mapping, so at the moment I am using a combination of Word, a cheap Windows 10 "solution" (that is not really a solution) and the faithful Post-It stickers on the wall above my computer!

Just a reminder from Evernote Discussion Forum Code of Conduct:

1. Do not chastise new users/newbies for asking questions or posting comments that may already be answered elsewhere. We get new users in the forums every day.
It is a new member with two posts, which are all here. I welcome the question as sometimes some discussions can get so lengthy that you can get the answer you are looking for to your specific problem.

PS! Not trying to be jerk here, just trying not to discourage a new forum user.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TK0047 said:

Just a reminder from Evernote Discussion Forum Code of Conduct

Out if interest what triggered this?  All seems pretty calm to me, my interpretation of chastise anyway.  

1 minute ago, CalS said:

Out if interest what triggered this?  All seems pretty calm to me, my interpretation of chastise anyway.  

Not suggesting it was not calm. Just about the comments about there are other forums out there about mind maps. He already asked, I think we should post comments instead of suggesting check out other forums. That was it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TK0047 said:

Just a reminder from Evernote Discussion Forum Code of Conduct

Not sure if it was my post or @FactMan's that triggered this but you should try to recognize the difference between chastising and informing a new user that there is already a lot of useful information on both topics in the EN forums.  Continued or renewed discussion is fine but we would be remiss in not pointing out to a new user the warehouse of information already available.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2018 at 10:56 AM, s2sailor said:

Not sure if it was my post or @FactMan's that triggered this but you should try to recognize the difference between chastising and informing a new user that there is already a lot of useful information on both topics in the EN forums.  Continued or renewed discussion is fine but we would be remiss in not pointing out to a new user the warehouse of information already available.

That was also my intention in responding. Perhaps I could have improved my response by adding in a link to the thread I was referring to: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25608-request-mind-mapping/. However, including a single link risks the reader missing out on other important conversations that they may come across. No sense in reinventing the wheel. I did not have (and still do not!) have time to provide a full review of all the possible options for mind-mapping that have been discussed on these forums. As I only searched in the Windows Forum I may have missed a large number of other threads in the other forums. Particularly given the length of time that Evernote has been around and not incorporated a mind-mapping solution in the web or Windows desktop version.

Each user is allowed to store notes relating to their particular interest in their own EN database. I take a passing interest in mind mapping, but do not believe I should have to do a full review for every question that I choose to comment on. If this is what is now required, I will decline to respond to any further posts.

On 6/8/2018 at 11:43 PM, DTLow said:

You're hijacking your own discussion. It's better to start a new discussion with the title GTD.

I use a separate note for each task
For task management, I have two workflows

1.  Processing tasks from my Inbox (default notebook)
  2. Processing tasks from project management

I use a saved search to produce my current task list       reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*
As you can see, its entirely date based (reminder date).1888651303_ScreenShot2018-06-08at07_08_09.png.35bb03039444c4cd02cf9b7017554641.png
I store due dates in the reminder feature.  If there's no formal due date, I assign current date to identify tasks I'm working on currently

Processing tasks from my Inbox (default notebook)

As I'm processing the notes, I flag actionable notes with     tag:!Actionable
I assign    tag:!Project - aaaaaa    if part of a project
I assign a due date (reminder feature) if appropriate

Processing tasks from project management

Each project has a master project note, flagged with    tag:!Type-Project66658489_ScreenShot2018-06-08at07_09_34.png.63c8e3979df84b68e886b3d1a856b5de.png
Each project has a separate tag (!Project - aaaa).  I do periodic reviews using the project tag.  
I use a saved seach to produce my active project list      tag:!Type-Project -Tag:!Archive

I add tasks as separate notes, assigning due dates (reminder feature) if appropriate.
From GTD standards, I don't worry about prioritization of tasks.  Just identify the next action.
I adjust due dates if required.  If there's no formal due date, I assign current date to identify tasks I'm working on currently

I review my project notes in title sequence.
To control the sequence, I prefix the note titles
       -Project Note
       ++Task (next action)
       +Task
       .Completed Task
      Miscellaneous notes (no prefix)

Calendar

When appropriate, I sync task entries to my calendar.  
I use a script on my Mac; there are third party products like Cronofy Calendar Connector

Daily Journal1974255768_ScreenShot2018-06-08at07_31_17.png.258938ccbc3d8ad572e980e117d1393d.png

My daily journal (Evernote Note) has sections for Current Tasks and Projects.  I populate these using the copy-links feature.

Christ, you're like a Productivity God.

14 minutes ago, Ank21090 said:
  1.  insert a blank image
  2. use annotate this image feature
  3. use rectangle/oval/circle shape tool to draw boxes
  4. use text tool to insert test in boxes

There are many tools to create a mind-map drawing
I need to have a link from the box back to the note in Evernote.

From my experience with mind mapping, the fun is in the evolvement of thought while creating the thing.

The ability to draw it using the annotation tools is IMHO contrary to mind mapping ! The tool is rigid, which means the flow is lost. You will find that an object or a whole branch belongs somewhere else (move it). You see a branch outgrowing its assigned space (reorganize, or split the branch to keep the balance) etc. If these are all single objects, you end up working for the technology instead of the content.

Some of my best mind mapping I‘ve done just on paper, or with sticky notes on a blank wall. If you enjoy to draw the connections, keep a pot of wallpaint ready 😉

If it should be the electronic version, there is no way around one of the many tools made for this. There are several free ones, often teaser-versions of paid apps. These will serve simpler mind maps. If more elaboration is needed, compare the options, and buy the one you like.

Because I wanted something cross-platform, and like the design, I have bought SimpleMind+ / ...Pro (same Program, just a name change) and feel happy using it.

Just imagine to create this sample mind map using the Evernote tools. It is a protocol of a 45-min meeting :

D72844B4-20B0-46C5-A089-616439FAC4DE.jpeg