Jump to content
jemostrom

Search question - not in notebook A or B

Recommended Posts

I'm trying to figure out the syntax for searching for notes with no tags but not including those in notebooks A, B and C. My attempts doesn't work, any advice on this?

What I tried was '-notebook:A -tag:*' as a first attempt but I get untagged items from notebook A in the search result

Share this post


Link to post

The search feature is documented at    Evernote Search Grammar

The :notebook parameter is special.  

  • Only one notebook can be specified.  
  • No negation

As a work-around, I can search for no tags (-tag:*) and display the results in list view (Mac/Windows)
This allows for a Notebook column and sorting in notebook sequence

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, jemostrom said:

I'm trying to figure out the syntax for searching for notes with no tags but not including those in notebooks A, B and C. My attempts doesn't work, any advice on this?

What I tried was '-notebook:A -tag:*' as a first attempt but I get untagged items from notebook A in the search result

@DTLow 's solution is probably the best and will work for all options. Just in case:

If the other notebooks (the one you want to search in) are in a stack, you can search the stack eg. stack:"1 - Business Notebooks" -tag:*.

But I assume they are not. Just an option if you have not used that before.

Share this post


Link to post

Vote for my wishlist item here:  

  

Share this post


Link to post

Just another one for the long-ish list of search language enhancement requests. e.g. full Boolean search, regular expressions. The former of these would probably take care of this one too, being more general.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/6/2018 at 1:12 PM, jefito said:

Just another one for the long-ish list of search language enhancement requests. e.g. full Boolean search, regular expressions. The former of these would probably take care of this one too, being more general.

When I first realized that Evernote didn't allow full Boolean searches I thought of it as a small app, not quite ready to play with the grown-ups.  But when it touted itself as a "no need to organize; just search" type of app I nearly lost my lunch I laughed so hard. When you have a lot of notes you have to implement a backup search structure, either tags or consistent file titles or something, or your search results will be the size of NYC's phone book entry for "Smith".

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, lisec said:

When I first realized that Evernote didn't allow full Boolean searches I thought of it as a small app, not quite ready to play with the grown-ups.

But even so, I've found -- at least the way that I use Evernote -- that I don't need complicated searches to do the things that I need to do with Evernote. If I needed them, I can do that sort of stuff. But I just don't need them. Yes, I do tag; it's something that Evernote's good for. I don't do title-magic, or muck with dates. I do use reminders, and the occasional note link. I segment into notebooks mainly for sharing, so only a small number of these. But that's about it. Making a virtue of necessity? Maybe, but my preferred approach is to keep things as simple as possible. I deal with enough complication in my working life that I don't need extra.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...