Jump to content
Introducing 'Templates' for Evernote Read more... ×
Notebook Limit Increase Read more... ×
  • 0
Nick Nassiri

Evernote for Windows 6.13 Beta 3

Idea

Hello Everyone,

Today we're announcing the availability of version 6.13 Beta 3. You can download it here or check for updates (make sure you've opted in to get Beta updates from Options.) 

If you're one of the small group of users that have seen annoying blue boxes around their content and attachments, or you found yourself unable to edit all notes without downgrading -- this build's for you.

Please check it out and let us know what you think. 

Thanks,
Nick and the Windows Team at Evernote

------------

Release Notes for Version 6.13 Beta 3

Note: Versions 6.13 is supported in Windows OS versions 7 and up.

Improved (cumulative changes since version 6.12):

  • Optional disabling of video hardware (GPU) acceleration while note editing
  • Optional verbose logging feature for issues that occur while note editing
  • Encryption between the client and server has been beefed up.
  • We let users save audio locally if they’ve exceeded the note size
  • Users are prevented from making content changes when the Evernote client database is locked by another process (e.g., antivirus scanner)
  • Evernote client asks once and remembers when you don't want to see a "note move" notification.
  • More easily manage and navigate your notebooks from the Notebooks View. You can access this by selecting 'Notebooks' from the left panel.
  • Messaging to alert the user when they're approaching their notebook limit

 

Fixed (cumulative changes since version 6.12):

  • Sync icon (blue arrow) reliably hides when changes are synced
  • We close open note windows when you quit Evernote, just like you would expect
  • Some users were seeing blue boxes around items in their notes or weren't able to edit notes -- that's gone
  • Emojis sometimes now get rendered properly in the title and body
  • Business notebooks can now be moved in shortcuts
  • Kanji characters no longer render in a Mandarin font
  • Clicking quickly around in the note list no longer opens the wrong note
  • The cursor stays in the note body when the user navigates away from the title field
  • Files can be consistently reattached after deleting or undoing an editing action
  • Print behavior works consistently between the main note and single note view
  • Work Chat no longer flags an inbound message as a new thread when it’s not
  • Notebook count is correct
  • Large lists of notes and tags are scrollable as expected
  • We gracefully handle when some video cards incorrectly report their capabilities
  • Some users were intermittently unable to add a new note. We patched that.
  • Numbered lists keep their numbering sequence intact consistently
  • Drag & Drop of files and documents from Evernote to other apps
  • Keyboard shortcut for renaming Notebook Stacks now consistently works
  • Note statistics remain on screen when expected
  • And of course: Misc. other product bug fixes and improvements.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Recommended Posts

  • 0
13 hours ago, FactMan said:

Unfortunately, and sadly, I have to agree. I spent a lot of time making Evernote work for me with notebooks and tags. Huge number of tags. It meant that I could generally find things very quickly. However, it was becoming more and more depressing to see the increasing number of backward steps that were being made in 'upgrades.' ...

I have to agree with this. I've been a long term Evernote support, and went through the ECL program. But I too can no longer recommend it. They never sorted out note sharing, work chat is unusable and now these sync bugs have tipped me over the edge to look elsewhere. I'm curious what you went too? I found Notion.so which has an amazing editing environment, streets ahead of evernote there, but immature in other areas which hold me back from switching.

If EN don't lift their game very soon, they will be dead in the water.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, gustavgi said:

We are talking about the new GA here since it doesn't have a thread yet.. And I wonder why...

...so the innocent guys who installed the GA looking for support (and usually not following this thread) have nowhere to go... Another thing that is just not OK.

⚰️📌(<- nail!)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
14 hours ago, EdH said:

Sadly, their lawyers would laugh at you. The EULA/TOS specifically excludes damages, or that the the program will even perform as claimed. Very very typical of software contracts.

In that case only thing is left is for them too lose customers, because it would seem Evernote is only committed to destroying their once bellowed product. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, Maddhin said:

...so the innocent guys who installed the GA looking for support (and usually not following this thread) have nowhere to go... Another thing that is just not OK.

⚰️📌(<- nail!)

Exactly. Its only smaller percentage of users who follow this frustrating forum. The rest of people who install GA are in for a nasty surprise. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, gustavgi said:

We are talking about the new GA here

Sorry, I saw it in the "beta 3" section and just assumed it was referring to "beta 3" software.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

Sorry, I saw it in the "beta 3" section and just assumed it was referring to "beta 3" software.

They basically said they are planing to release a new GA with known bugs from beta 3, which has happened in the past few GA releases and seems to be getting progressively worse. Makes no sense. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

1180940805_helpusimprove-ScreenClip.png.f9ad80a4fa5f3b1cbf3b1497c3b27bf1.pngOh look...   a new "feature" in 6.13GA it would seem...   

Hey, Evernote staff --- I am already trying to help you improve by being in the beta program. You're just NOT listening!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hey Gang,

I just wanted to let you know your feedback is being addressed. The Windows team is working on bug fixes.

-Nick

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

No, you are not working on bug fixes. You are telling this every time, and nothing happens. In contrary there are more bugs being introduced with every release. You are not in control of these releases, do you even have a list of all the bugs?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, Nick Nassiri said:

Hey Gang,

I just wanted to let you know your feedback is being addressed. The Windows team is working on bug fixes.

-Nick

Nice to see you pop back in the forum.... just wondering if it's too much to ask when we might see a fix for the sync issue bug?  It's been "identified", but released to the masses.  It seems to be a pretty 'massive' problem for a large number of us - so instead of being productive beta testing new versions, we're having to roll back releases that bring back old bugs.  It's counter productive for everyone involved. "Working on it" just doesn't really do much to ease the minds of those of us afflicted with this bug.   Are we looking at days?  weeks? or even months (like we see with so many other issues) to have a fix released?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
13 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

It's been "identified"

But not fixed - still hunting the cause (the plan is to get this fix into a hotfix).

I did discover on my own notes that using the (hold Ctrl key)Help menu, selecting "Fix Selected Note" will fix the `"Note.updateSequenceNum"` error - however you will lose any local edits. I haven't tried Fix All Notes - that should fix all notes, but takes a while (and fixing all notes makes it hard to test!).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
52 minutes ago, dconnet said:

I did discover on my own notes that using the (hold Ctrl key)Help menu, selecting "Fix Selected Note" will fix the `"Note.updateSequenceNum"` error - however you will lose any local edits. I haven't tried Fix All Notes - that should fix all notes, but takes a while (and fixing all notes makes it hard to test!).

Interesting.  When I was still having some of the same problems everyone else is reporting, someone (I think EdH) suggested I try the Ctrl Help menu, which was totally new to me.  After trying the two Fix notes options, I no longer have those problems, though the only one I was able to observe directly for results was Fix Selected note, I couldn't tell whether Fix All Notes did anything.

Could you guys release some kind of help guide documentation for using those tools ourselves more intelligently, so we don't have to guess as to what we are doing with them, or whether they are indicated for certain problems?  That would be extremely helpful for all of us, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Could you guys release some kind of help guide documentation for using those tools ourselves more intelligently, so we don't have to guess as to what we are doing with them, or whether they are indicated for certain problems?  That would be extremely helpful for all of us, I think.

+1, especially because of

3 hours ago, dconnet said:

however you will lose any local edits.

...

Seems to be buttons to be used with caution.

It's great to see Ctrl + Help - a lot of useful maintenance functions there - like erase unused tags, etc. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Coping a entire row from one table, then pasting it onto another note with a table and row, no longer works.

 

This even made it into the offical 6.13 release, is this purposely done?

 I simply couldn't use it without that feature, I just been through the painful task of rolling back.

 

( I guess it's ok because 13 is an unlucky number.)

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
23 hours ago, Maddhin said:

+1, especially because of

however you will lose any local edits.

Seems to be buttons to be used with caution.

When/if  I was able to identify the troublesome notes (big if, I know), I found that duplicating them was enough to preserve the data when the edits of the original notes were lost (though often the system itself duplicated the notes into a conflicting notes folder)  The trick of course is to be alert to sync problems (total note count  in different devices is my usual hint).

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/22/2018 at 1:54 PM, AndreasM said:

No, you are not working on bug fixes. You are telling this every time, and nothing happens. In contrary there are more bugs being introduced with every release. You are not in control of these releases, do you even have a list of all the bugs?

I don't know how they are working on fixes. They aren't visiting the forums. 🤷‍♂️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/22/2018 at 3:46 PM, dconnet said:

But not fixed - still hunting the cause (the plan is to get this fix into a hotfix).

I did discover on my own notes that using the (hold Ctrl key)Help menu, selecting "Fix Selected Note" will fix the `"Note.updateSequenceNum"` error - however you will lose any local edits. I haven't tried Fix All Notes - that should fix all notes, but takes a while (and fixing all notes makes it hard to test!).

Let me know if you need an ENEX file to play with. I have some notes that I coudl share with you directly via the messages feature of this forum. Won't post them as attachements to this public forum though.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/22/2018 at 7:43 PM, Maddhin said:

Seems to be buttons to be used with caution.

Indeed. I've used them in the past, but not for this. And it doesn't tell you what it did that I am aware of. It just silently finishes.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Seems something changed with respect to the EN Windows team several months ago - new management, loss of personnel, new marching orders, etc.  - I have no idea what, but we can see the deterioration of the product and the process over the past several months. And they've been burning up a lot of goodwill, as evidenced by long-time EN Windows users who can no longer recommend EN to others (I'm in the same camp - I used to tell everyone about EN, but no way I could do that in good faith now).

On 6/21/2018 at 1:51 PM, EdH said:

And to think 2 years ago I went through the Evernote process to become an Evernote Community Leader. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone in its current form. 

On 6/22/2018 at 7:47 AM, Michael Goulding said:

I have to agree with this. I've been a long term Evernote support, and went through the ECL program. But I too can no longer recommend it.

Can an employee that is reading this thread PLEASE pass this feedback to the head of EN Windows? Either this hasn't happened yet, despite similar sentiments being expressed in the beta and GA threads going back several months, or EN Windows management has a different agenda (in which case, good luck without your users).

I appreciate the users on the frontlines of beta testing. I dropped back a few releases ago - the incoming bug fire was too much for me. I'm hanging back on 6.11 GA until things change.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/22/2018 at 1:46 PM, Nick Nassiri said:

Hey Gang,

I just wanted to let you know your feedback is being addressed. The Windows team is working on bug fixes.

-Nick

Then why was the sync bug that was reported two weeks ago allowed to make it into a GA release? This isn't a nuisance. this is a show stopper.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/22/2018 at 4:46 PM, dconnet said:

But not fixed - still hunting the cause (the plan is to get this fix into a hotfix).

I did discover on my own notes that using the (hold Ctrl key)Help menu, selecting "Fix Selected Note" will fix the `"Note.updateSequenceNum"` error - however you will lose any local edits. I haven't tried Fix All Notes - that should fix all notes, but takes a while (and fixing all notes makes it hard to test!).

This "solution" defeats my purpose of evernote, however.   I collect data via multiple sources (mobile, emailed notes, ifttt, etc) and need to sit down and work on it from laptop A, but then may be back mobile and running on laptop B a bit later on in the day.. or perhaps needing a quick memo or update via android or ios platforms.    Having to be sure to go through laptop A or laptop B and 'fix notes', replace data that was lost in the fix notes process and try it all again is pointless.  

I'm stuck rolling back to 6.11 until the core of evernote (failure free-syncing) works again.

As an aside, do you ever expect "work chat" to work again or is evernote just trying to phase that out by making it mostly inoperable?  I haven't had it work properly since prior to March of this year. If Evernote plans on phasing out application features, it would be nice to know so that users can look for relacements instead of holding on to "hopes". 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

As an aside, do you ever expect "work chat" to work again...

If they stopped any WC effort as long as they have to work on sync-, cursor,- list-, paste- and other downgrade bugs, I've no problem with that ;-)

I haven't had it work properly since prior to March of this year.

Moreoften: every chat app is better than EN's work chat. Now they seem to introduce a smart link Microsoft Teams... Hope this works better than WC. They should concentrate on note management - not chatting.

it would be nice to know so that users can look for relacements instead of holding on to "hopes"

Yep - full agree.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/24/2018 at 6:23 AM, EdH said:

Let me know if you need an ENEX file to play with. I have some notes that I coudl share with you directly via the messages feature of this forum. Won't post them as attachements to this public forum though.

That would actually fix the note for me :)

We have identified the issue, the fix is being tested now. It has to do with the age of the note and some changes made to support other work-in-progress features.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
58 minutes ago, dconnet said:

That would actually fix the note for me :)

We have identified the issue, the fix is being tested now. It has to do with the age of the note and some changes made to support other work-in-progress features.

Can I make a suggestion? There is NO indication that the note sync is failing in this instance unless you have the "Sync" column enabled in List View, and it remains a black dot. But there is no red sync error on the sync button.

There should be for any sync error. I went 3-4 days with this error happening and didn't realize it until I noticed changes on my PC wouldn't sync to my Mac, or anywhere else. I knew enough to stop doing more stuff. The average user wouldn't know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I have found the cursor jumping bug to be unpredictable, but generally it seemed limited to jumping to the title. 

But on the GA version I have found an easily reproducible bug which I don't recall reading about, sorry if someone already reported this very specific behavior:

Create a new note, type random characters into a few lines (asdf asdf, etc).  After the last line, create a table, again type random characters inside the table (typing is probably not necessary to recreate the bug).  Put your cursor at the end of the last line before the table, press on the delete key once, this will bring the table a little closer to the last line (I commonly do this in all my notes with tables, rule lines and bulleted lists to make the note more compact).

Now put your cursor anywhere in the last line before the table, and press the delete key.  This will not delete anything, instead the table will become highlighted.  If you absentmindedly press the delete key again, of course the table will be deleted.  This consistent behavior doesn't happen with the backspace key. 

Naturally this leaves me with a rather bad feeling about the safety of my data while editing in Evernote . . . 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hello,

Sorry if my English is not perfect.

My opinion is bof bof !

I have updated the version today at 

image.png.b0e1e3b89182013648e1fdc6f9fd4f1e.png

And the Drag & Drop doesn't work 

My Evernote product runs on French.

The functionality works only for the .png file extention. 

Since, come back impossible : the fonctionality is kill over for older version. 

Kinds regards

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, EdH said:

Can I make a suggestion? There is NO indication that the note sync is failing in this instance unless you have the "Sync" column enabled in List View, and it remains a black dot. But there is no red sync error on the sync button.

That's a good point - not sure why we didn't fail sync... I'm usually in the Snippet view - the blue-sync-needed icon remains there. (that's how I could easily tell the note had failed - I was actually working on something else when that got in the way)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
9 hours ago, Don Dz said:

If you absentmindedly press the delete key again, of course the table will be deleted.

I cannot remember whether it was a picture or pdf (I don't think it was a table) but I also accidentially erased parts of notes in the past due to such EN behavior.

The jumping cursor is really dangerous especially if you have pdfs or pictures in the note as - thanks to the new pdf viewer - going through such a not can be quite confusing as it is too easy to just scroll the pdf instead of the note, etc. If the pdfs don't really look different, it's easy to catch a wrong one or one wouldn't even realize a file is erased if cursor jumps in wrong moment.

Will pay close attention next time it happens and report details.

But sometimes it is just as simple as wanting to add an empty line: I had cases, I needed 3 tries to make a empty line because the cursor lost focus while my hand was moving from mouse to enter button...

As somebody said before: it would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

a small but annoying bug:

the shortcut ctrl+alt+L (to create a note link) doesn't seem to work (anymore) if the note is maximized / in its own window. If the shortcut is used while being in a maximised note window, it still copies the link to the (different) note that is highlighted in the (different) normal view window...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Yep - but this did not work since Ctrl-Alt-l was implemented. They forgot to assign this shortcut to command "Note -> Copy Internal Link" in note window:

image.png.1f14fe17b3e1287b48e79ba496cc2db3.png

But You can work around this with ALT-n-l (hold ALT while typing n). Using ALT and highlighted characters of commands in main und sub menues works in nearly all windows applications to navigate through menu trees.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/21/2018 at 11:45 PM, Don Dz said:

So until something comes around that is better, I will have to just tolerate Evernote for the time being, it is the only thing that really works, at least for me.

You might want to consider Joplin - it is still a subset of Evernote, but does much more than Simplenote and is improving quickly. See the list of features at  https://joplin.cozic.net/

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I am not sure if anyone else has mentioned this for the GA version, but I found a curious version of the jumping cursor:

I opened Evernote, clicked on Search Notes, started typing what I was searching for, but before I was finish typing it, a new note was created in the main window, and the last few characters I had been typing went into this new note instead of into the search box.

 

Has anyone else observed this particular version of the jumping cursor?  It was somewhat entertaining at least . . . 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
11 hours ago, Don Dz said:

I am not sure if anyone else has mentioned this for the GA version, but I found a curious version of the jumping cursor:

I opened Evernote, clicked on Search Notes, started typing what I was searching for, but before I was finish typing it, a new note was created in the main window, and the last few characters I had been typing went into this new note instead of into the search box.

 

Has anyone else observed this particular version of the jumping cursor?  It was somewhat entertaining at least . . . 🙄

Did this happen during intitle: searches?

See this: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
16 minutes ago, tavor said:

Did this happen during intitle: searches?

Interesting link, thanks.  Nope, just a regular string search for safe mode (in my case it went to the body, not the title).  Just tried again, behaved normally. I am not sure whether I want to set search to 0, I just increased it to 500 just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
6 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Interesting link, thanks.  Nope, just a regular string search for safe mode (in my case it went to the body, not the title).  Just tried again, behaved normally. I am not sure whether I want to set search to 0, I just increased it to 500 just in case.

This smells like a race condition... A race condition comes and goes and is very hard to find and cure, especially if the code hasn't be designed with thread-safety in mind. Hopefully this is not the case in EN, otherwise our data is in danger...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/25/2018 at 3:28 PM, dconnet said:

That's a good point - not sure why we didn't fail sync... I'm usually in the Snippet view - the blue-sync-needed icon remains there. (that's how I could easily tell the note had failed - I was actually working on something else when that got in the way)

Any update on a beta 4? I have an increasing number of notes that won't sync. I just edited one that was nearly 2yrs old and it won't sync.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
27 minutes ago, EdH said:

Any update on a beta 4

It's in QA...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
52 minutes ago, EdH said:

 I have an increasing number of notes that won't sync. I just edited one that was nearly 2yrs old and it won't sync.

Have you tried replacing the old notes with new notes by copying the data over?  This works for me on non syncing notes. 

Of course it can be a nuisance with a large number of notes, especially with note links.

Unless you are keeping the old notes to test the beta. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Have you tried duplicating the note or copying the data to a new note?  If the new note syncs, you can safely delete the old note.  This works for me on non syncing notes. 

Unless you are keeping the old notes to test the beta. 

Of course it can be a nuisance with a large number of notes, especially if you keep note links that have to be recreated.

No. that destroys links. I don't want to risk breaking links.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
12 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Have you tried replacing the old notes with new notes by copying the data over?  This works for me on non syncing notes. 

Of course it can be a nuisance with a large number of notes, especially with note links.

Unless you are keeping the old notes to test the beta. 

On old notes, you can fix it (well, it fixed mine) by using the ctrl+Help menu item "Fix Selected Notes"

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
52 minutes ago, dconnet said:

It's in QA...

You have a QA dept now? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
32 minutes ago, dconnet said:

On old notes, you can fix it (well, it fixed mine) by using the ctrl+Help menu item "Fix Selected Notes"

Didn't you say that just wiped your changes? 
 

I think I'll pass on that "fix"

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
57 minutes ago, EdH said:

Didn't you say that just wiped your changes? I think I'll pass on that "fix"

You could copy the data before applying the fix, then pasting it back afterwards.  If the direct copyipaste seems to preserve the problem, you could try pasting it to a new note, then copying and pasting back to the original note after it is fixed. 

Yes, it does sound convoluted to me as well, just some ideas.  

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
50 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

You could copy the data before applying the fix, then pasting it back afterwards.  If the direct copyipaste seems to preserve the problem, you could try pasting it to a new note, then copying and pasting back to the original note after it is fixed. 

Yes, it does sound convoluted to me as well, just some ideas.  

If I'm worried about losing my hard drive I'll think about it. Otherwise, I'll let the new QA department finish their work and publish the fix.

Idea: Have the QA department read beta threads looking for bug reports to make sure bugs that are reported that cause syncs to stop working are fixed before pushing out to GA.
Just an idea.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, EdH said:

Any update on a beta 4? I have an increasing number of notes that won't sync. I just edited one that was nearly 2yrs old and it won't sync.

3 hours ago, dconnet said:

It's in QA...

So there's going to be a beta 4 after 6.13 betas 1, 2, 3 and Public 6.13?  No Triskaidekaphobia at EN.  😉

images.jpg.d4b487c5a85f2a4f34302220df0eba3f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, CalS said:

So there's going to be a beta 4 after 6.13 betas 1, 2, 3 and Public 6.13?  No Triskaidekaphobia at EN.  😉

images.jpg.d4b487c5a85f2a4f34302220df0eba3f.jpg

There was no forum post announcing 6.13 GA, and I am not sure it is still being pushed out. That is the build who's version must not be named.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

on a number of notes - I think usually coming from webclipper - the line spacing seems to be not changing even after running "remove formats" and "change to pure text" (literally translating options from German...). Is this a bug or a general shortcoming of EN? To me, this looks like, the "remove formats" option is not working properly and leaving behind certain types of formating.

Any way to fix this except for pasting the note content in something like MS Word, fixing it and re-paste in EN?

Compared to syncing issues this is unimportant but it is still kind an annoying having those wild spaces and no way to remove it.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
14 hours ago, EdH said:

There was no forum post announcing 6.13 GA, and I am not sure it is still being pushed out. That is the build who's version must not be named.

Just checked, Evernote_6.13.13.7425.exe is what you get when you download from the website.  Truly weird on the no forum post re it.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Did the "Annotate Image" shortcut icon that normally pops up on the top left corner of an image get removed?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
26 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

Did the "Annotate Image" shortcut icon that normally pops up on the top left corner of an image get removed?

Seems to be gone in 6.13.3, but the right-click "Annotate This Image" and "Annotate a Copy of This Image" items are still there.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
29 minutes ago, jefito said:

Seems to be gone in 6.13.3, but the right-click "Annotate This Image" and "Annotate a Copy of This Image" items are still there.

Interesting. I don't normally use 6.13 but working from home today and I noticed it which does not make sense to remove, was it causing a lot of troubles? Faster than the right click ad the "Annotate..." options.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, TK0047 said:

Interesting. I don't normally use 6.13 but working from home today and I noticed it which does not make sense to remove, was it causing a lot of troubles? Faster than the right click ad the "Annotate..." options.

It is one of the sweet mysteries of life, de-functionalizing bits that have occurred of late...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Does this happen to anyone? If I search for a note and if there is only one result, the note panel shows the previous note content while the note list will show the note I was looking for.

As you can see, the note selected on the note list is completely different from the note shown

image.thumb.png.1e01d8d6663786b1cb0d63beb80ff65a.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, TK0047 said:

Does this happen to anyone? If I search for a note and if there is only one result, the note panel shows the previous note content while the note list will show the note I was looking for.

Hasn't happened to me.  Try a File - Exit to see if it clears the issue?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
12 hours ago, TK0047 said:

Does this happen to anyone? If I search for a note and if there is only one result, the note panel shows the previous note content while the note list will show the note I was looking for.

As you can see, the note selected on the note list is completely different from the note shown

image.thumb.png.1e01d8d6663786b1cb0d63beb80ff65a.png

Yes, exactly this has been happening to me for the last couple of versions. I find that eventually (and it may be a minute or two) the correct note content appears.

That's on my work PC which has Win7. My home system has Win10 and is a much more powerful system and I don't see this lag at all there.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/28/2018 at 1:09 PM, dconnet said:

On old notes, you can fix it (well, it fixed mine) by using the ctrl+Help menu item "Fix Selected Notes"

Hope you are tracking that notes/scans created via your Scannable app also cause this issue in the Windows client.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/27/2018 at 12:34 AM, motz said:

You might want to consider Joplin - it is still a subset of Evernote, but does much more than Simplenote and is improving quickly. See the list of features at  https://joplin.cozic.net/

actually just checked Joplin out and it looks like an open source "Evernote clone" (with .enex import etc). Still early but the basics seem to work well - very interesting! Looks like they are squashing bugs like the guys on Starship Troopers (1997), too!

Saves a lot of money and I know where my data goes/is. If they have a few more bells and whistles working (like now the webclipper) that looks like a viable alternative. For guys using primarily plain text notes, this seems an alternative today already.  

And - wait for it - emoji are also working!!! In title AND body! 🤩

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, Maddhin said:

actually just checked Joplin out and it looks like an open source "Evernote clone" (with .enex import etc). Still early but the basics seem to work well - very interesting! Looks like they are squashing bugs like the guys on Starship Troopers (1997), too!

Saves a lot of money and I know where my data goes/is. If they have a few more bells and whistles working (like now the webclipper) that looks like a viable alternative. For guys using primarily plain text notes, this seems an alternative today already.  

And - wait for it - emoji are also working!!! In title AND body! 🤩

And it supports full End-to-End encryption !

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/30/2018 at 12:56 AM, CalS said:

Just checked, Evernote_6.13.13.7425.exe is what you get when you download from the website.  Truly weird on the no forum post re it.

Seems 6.13.14 public is now the latest. Yet all is quiet here?!?! Has every jumped ship?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
40 minutes ago, Michael Goulding said:

Seems 6.13.14 public is now the latest. Yet all is quiet here?!?! Has every jumped ship?

I know I haven't quite jumped ship... with now roughly 40,000 notes it would be a challenge to do so - but at the same time, it's definitely been a wake up call to look for alternatives and 'backup solutions' to if Evernote fails us fully.  Almost an entire month of broken core functionality of Evernote is not acceptable... even in a beta.  On a positive note, 6.13.14 seems to be syncing properly on the few notes I've tested it with.  Going to stay on 6.11 with another machine for a bit before upgrading(?) it.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

The new 6.13.14.7474 (307474) GA version released this morning seems stable enough to merit a separate discussion, at least the jumping cursor seems much better so far.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Lots of sync problems with 6.13.14. Seems to be server side this time, but could just be the client mucking the negotiation up:

14:21:50 [INFO   ] [15048] [1656] 0% Loaded updateCount: 38589
14:21:50 [ERROR  ] [15048] [1656] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 503, error: Service Unavailable
14:21:54 [INFO   ] [15048] [12332] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
14:21:54 [ERROR  ] [15048] [12332] * error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side

The client grinds to a halt for minutes at a time as a result.

Currently checking out Joplin...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Had the same problem yesterday and this moment - but only with a Business account and client version 6.13.13 (see here).
Premium accounts sync with no problem. If you're using a Business account also, EN seems to have problems with their Business server farm(s) :-(

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, ej8899 said:

Almost an entire month of broken core functionality of Evernote is not acceptable... even in a beta.

LOL! They were told two weeks before releasing that to GA it had a sync bug. They can publish an entire month with broken core functionality in their sleep.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
43 minutes ago, Liam Gretton said:

Lots of sync problems with 6.13.14. Seems to be server side this time, but could just be the client mucking the negotiation up:


14:21:50 [INFO   ] [15048] [1656] 0% Loaded updateCount: 38589
14:21:50 [ERROR  ] [15048] [1656] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 503, error: Service Unavailable
14:21:54 [INFO   ] [15048] [12332] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
14:21:54 [ERROR  ] [15048] [12332] * error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side

The client grinds to a halt for minutes at a time as a result.

Currently checking out Joplin...

6.13.13 doing the same, so I think it is their service, not the client. 

 

Quote

07:06:32 [ERROR  ] [5248] [16920] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 503, error: Service Unavailable
07:06:32 [INFO   ] [5248] [14196] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
07:06:32 [ERROR  ] [5248] [14196] * error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side
07:06:32 [INFO   ] [5248] [14196] * elapsed time: 0s

 

Yup. Confirmed service is down. http://status.evernote.com/

I'll wait until it is back up before upgrading to see if the sync error is fixed. At least I can access my notes right now, in their various states of syncedness.

image.thumb.png.8d71608dff78641ea56e9c5168c0e64b.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

FWIW, the sync errors are gone with 6.13.14. Had a whole bunch of notes not syncing for the past month that finally sync'd to the cloud. 👍

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 hours ago, Michael Goulding said:

Seems 6.13.14 public is now the latest. Yet all is quiet here?!?! Has every jumped ship?

6.13.14 still has the focus issue in a note if there is text in the search bar.  Argh.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Strange bug in 6.13.14.  I switched the left panel dark theme to light, when Evernote came back, all my notes disappeared, when I switched back to dark, Evernote didn't come back, the icon on the status bar disappeared, and trying  to run the program again did not bring it back, so I rebooted.   

I did confirm that when it was unresponsive and hiding, Evernote was still in memory per task manager.

I was able to repeat this process twice with the same results, in Windows 10.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
8 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Strange bug in 6.13.14.  I switched the left panel dark theme to light, when Evernote came back, all my notes disappeared, when I switched back to dark, Evernote didn't come back, the icon on the status bar disappeared, and trying  to run the program again did not bring it back, so I rebooted.   

I did confirm that when it was unresponsive and hiding, Evernote was still in memory per task manager.

I was able to repeat this process twice with the same results, in Windows 10.

I can duplicate that bug too... there are apparentely 37,000 notes in my screen shot below.  Creating a new note had it at least show in the list (for me anyway).

I wonder if it is in any way related to the "invisible tags" bug that persists from back in earlier versions?  If that's the case, don't expect a quick fix from Evernote. 

Tags turn "invisible". Reported 2018-03-21 (still in 6.12.2)
 
 

37043946_evernotebug-nonoteswhenleftpanelwhite.thumb.png.f9df272f54fc1a066abbaf64f52644e9.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I was not able to reproduce the same bug in Windows 7.  I wonder whether it is related to the fact that emojis don't work in the notebook list or the tag list (in Windows 7, they work fine in Windows 10).

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 minute ago, Krunoslav said:

Evernote keeps poping up a "Security Alert" warning box when I try to sync. Could this be related to all the syncinc issues I'm reading in this post. That is the reason I'm posting it here and not somewhere else, because I don't know if its related.  

BTW. I'm using now Evernote version 6.5.4 for all the bugs reported and works fine, except this started to happen today. I'm reading in this thread about all the sync issues, and I wonder if its related. Must be something on server side right? 
692966063_evernotesync.png.ecf1767f5fe4a40d273349b7033089be.png

Also I have googled to see if others had the problem in the past and there are few threads open on this but no clear answers. What is going on, Evernote? 

 

I see this "all the time" when I'm mobile and need to login to a network.

ie the coffee shop I'm at right now - wifi connects to the network, but I don't have 'access' until I visit their login page - by the time I do that, evernote has popped up this message.  

I do the "connect to wifi" on the browser screen, hit yes on the security alert and no further messages of those come up during my session.  But, it's back next time I'm at a coffee shop.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
28 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

 

I see this "all the time" when I'm mobile and need to login to a network.

ie the coffee shop I'm at right now - wifi connects to the network, but I don't have 'access' until I visit their login page - by the time I do that, evernote has popped up this message.  

I do the "connect to wifi" on the browser screen, hit yes on the security alert and no further messages of those come up during my session.  But, it's back next time I'm at a coffee shop.

Thank you for the reply. I deleted my original post because I managed to solve it, after resting modem few times and changing DNS setting from my ISP default DNS to Google DNS. Not sure why it started to happen all of a sudden, but works now. :) I was not sure if it has to do with all the sync issues people were having lately, I guess it didn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, Krunoslav said:

Thank you for the reply. I deleted my original post because I managed to solve it, after resting modem few times and changing DNS setting from my ISP default DNS to Google DNS. Not sure why it started to happen all of a sudden, but works now. :) I was not sure if it has to do with all the sync issues people were having lately, I guess it didn't. 

Because if your internet connection is messed up or isolated (like in a coffee shop before you log in) your computer cannot validate that the certificate Evernote is using is authentic, so it warns you. It is the same warning you'd get if it really was fraudulent, but Windows shows the same thing regardless of why it cannot authenticate it. That isn't an Evernote thing. Outlook and other apps do the same thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
17 minutes ago, EdH said:

Because if your internet connection is messed up or isolated (like in a coffee shop before you log in) your computer cannot validate that the certificate Evernote is using is authentic, so it warns you. It is the same warning you'd get if it really was fraudulent, but Windows shows the same thing regardless of why it cannot authenticate it. That isn't an Evernote thing. Outlook and other apps do the same thing.

Oh, I see. Thank you for clarifying that. At least I'll know what to do next time. thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 7/3/2018 at 3:04 PM, CalS said:

6.13.14 still has the focus issue in a note if there is text in the search bar.  Argh.

We know - the fix has not yet been found. Right now, it looks like something is happening in Chromium. But we don't know what "something" is yet.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, dconnet said:

We know - the fix has not yet been found. Right now, it looks like something is happening in Chromium. But we don't know what "something" is yet.

Thanks for the update.  Chromium responsible for any of the other editing "joys"?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 minutes ago, CalS said:

Chromium responsible for any of the other editing "joys"?

Probably. Switching from a synchronous to async programming model is ... interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Well, at least you have solid breadcrumbs for the focus in note issue.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 hours ago, dconnet said:

Probably. Switching from a synchronous to async programming model is ... interesting.

May I suggest your development team experiments with new programming models in its own lab rather than on us? The focus issue has been driving me nuts for months now, it's symptomatic of EN's general disregard for basic testing and quality control and is tipping me over the edge to jump ship. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Guinea pig #131978 to home:

6.13.14 is very unstable on my system. Often takes 30% of my CPU load and does what...?!? Sometimes it recovers after a few min but usually I kill the process after 10 or so min because I need to work... 

The other thing is that the display is dodgy: xls or doc file-placeholders are a ugly unclear pixel thing now and I cannot do e.g. those separation lines anymore: they seem to be generated but one cannot see them... - A restart helped with those problems. So the first problem fixed the second one... "How convenient..." 🤪

As confirmed by others, the cursor is still at large...

Guinea pig #131978 out.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

This thread has been locked. 

For the conversation regarding the release of Evernote for Windows 6.13 GA please see:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×