"Must reload" forever on some pages

When clipping PDF, I frequently (but not always) get a message saying I have to reload the page before I can clip. Reloading never helps, I just keep getting the same message.

This is in Firefox. One such example page is (https://) onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1756-8765.2010.01108.x (put the parenthesized prefix on to get the whole URL -- I separated it because the forum interface kept putting the full page inline). That site does weird stuff with their PDFS, but even so Evernote clips it just fine in Chrome (I also tried Safari, but I can't even get the Web Clipper extension to install successfully). I'm not going to change browsers just to use EverNote on PDFs.

The clipper also scrolls the window to the top every time I clip (highly annoying), and usually fails to set a useful title even for PDFs that it *can* clip and that have an obvious title at the very top (they're not bitmap PDFs either, because I can open them and copy/paste the title back over to reset it -- of course, that makes clipping a matter of 20-30 seconds, instead of one click).

Anyone know a way to avoid or work around this? I'm starting to think Evernote may be too broken to bother with, though the alternatives don't seem much better either....

same problem very recently with firefox

never had any problem before with these type of pdf

I have installed and reinstalled evernote web clipper, but same problem

any help?

thanks

apparently as above chats are recent, it seems that evryone is starting to get the same problem

• 1 month later...
Guest JohnD

FWIW, this happens on Edge for me as well, rarely, if at all on Pale Moon.....

Now, if only Evernote was available for the Brave browser....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yet another subscriber with this issue. Itś sad cause the clipper is one of the main reasons I am an Evernote user. It is frustrating we keep getting app updates where they refresh the icons, change the color contrasts or modify the fonts of app menus...when they have some fundamental functionality that really sets them apart that is broken...for so long. Well, maybe this is set to be fixed by 2019...Iḿ not holding my breath.

• 1 month later...

Ditto.  The latest revs of FF seem to breaking clipping a PDF opened inside FF on a regular basis.  The Evernote team needs to address this recurring issue promptly.  It's one of the reason I use and pay for the Evernote service.  Uninstalling and reinstalling has not resolved the issue and I have been lucky to have not issues until the past 3-4 weeks.   I'm running W10/latest updates + Evernote / latest / paid. + FF / latest (64.0).

The best work around I've found which seems to work is below:

1. Manually download the PDF from the web page
  2. Locate the file, RMB and then select "Send to Evernote"

Have a great day!  Later.

Edited by skywalker
+ workaround
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same issue here. I switched to Firefox as my primary browser sometime in mid-2018, and since then, I've never been able to clip a PDF. Also, I'm much more frequently given the "please reload before clipping..." dialogue on standard web pages. Would be great to have a solution to this!

• 2 weeks later...

Just had firefox updated to version 65.0 and still same issue.  Filed a support request, will share back with the group when I know something.  Might be good if more than one of us submit a help ticket all at the same time...might elevate the response from evernote.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to include Evernote's response to my support request.  After a handful of back-and-forth describing the problem, answering a few questions and providing them a log...here is their response:

Thanks for getting back to us.

I appreciate the logs you've sent. This is so helpful in isolating the issue. However, this is a known issue and we're working on it with no definite time frame.

I understand you don't use Chrome. However, I suggest you to use the Web Clipper on this browser if you want to clip a PDF as a workaround.

Hope this helps and let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Best,

In other words...they know it's an issue, I wasted my time following their requests for them to tell me to use chrome instead and they have no plan to support their product in firefox.

yippee.

Edited by lost_gweedo
Spelling...their vs there vs they're....sigh
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 2/21/2019 at 4:10 PM, lost_gweedo said:

In other words...they know it's an issue, I wasted my time following their requests for them to tell me to use chrome instead and they have no plan to support their product in firefox. 

yippee.

Yep, that's how I read it too.   <sigh>

• Like 1

Count me another Firefox user and longtime Evernote user who is really wondering what I'm paying Evernote for at this point, since I can't clip most pages that I want to save.

Evernote, if you're trying to lose a customer, you're doing it very well. Way to show your paying users you simply don't care about them.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hello, this is a known issue at least between Firefox and the EN webclipper. I am not sure who has to fix something - maybe FF prevents access of tools to open pdf files. Or EN promotes „Chrome“ (no option for me, for sure ...). I wish my Webclipper would be enabled ASAP. Meanwhile, there is a ...

... Workaround  👻 :

Set up a folder on your disk where you can file the pdf you want to catch, and define this folder as import-folder in Evernote (Win / Mac-Client).

EN will then pick any file placed in this folder (not only from the browser) and create a new note with the file as attachment. It can delete the file from the import folder automatically if this option is picked.

By using more than one folder, it is possible to set up different import paths; each folder can have a different notebook assigned as import target.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like the problem is still around.

Here is another workaround: You can select Evernote as the default program for opening PDF files. PDFs are then automatically importet into Evernote. Attached are photos using Firefox as an example. You can select Evernote as default program directly in the download dialog (mind the checkbox) or alternatively in firefox settings. It's in german but should be the same elsewhere.

2019-11-12 17_52_30-Clipboard.png

2019-11-12 17_58_44-Clipboard.png

• Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This just started happening to me on Chrome/MacOS Catalina 10.15.5. Very annoying, every page requires a reload then the clip works. I am referring to just ordinary web pages.

• 2 months later...

Having the same problem with Safari Version 14.0 (15610.1.28.1.9, 15610) with macOS Catalina Version 10.15.6.

It really is something that I've been experiencing for the last couple of years. The difference now, with the upgrade to Safari 14, is that the Clipper doesn't alway function after the refresh. Sometimes, multiple clicks achieves the proper response, where a single click does nothing. This is becoming more and more unusable.

I've been using Evernote since the very beginning. It looks like I will have to avoid the Clipper and go back the "Control-Command-V" capture option instead. This is functionally problematic since, you don't get the header and the web link information to populate; it has to be entered manually.

Not good and getting to be completely unsatisfactory!

• 3 months later...

I found a way around it to avoid having this reloading issue, I basically use the search bar on the upper left corner to find my note and then loaded it. The problem is gone.

When keep double clicking the notes I get the reloading warning each time, however with the search function the note loads immediately.