(Archived) Feature suggestion

CrazyJoeDavola

Idea

Couldn't find a feedback link anywhere so I'm putting it here. Hopefully other users will voice their agreement.

A lot of times, if not always, when I create a new note I type in the title -- unless the title came straight from browser, which is awesome -- and hit tab to type in the tags. It's a quick way to get this routine done but unfortunately the flow breaks here: after this I usually tweak the note text itself, and even though I know it wont work, I'll always hit tab when in the tags field to get to the note text because it's so obvious it should work like that but instead it'll just take me to the font selector and the font size all the way to whatever the last button on the toolbar is, forcing me to take my hand off the keyboard and click the text area with my mouse. Some might think it's not a big deal but when you're putting in a lot of notes per day it absolutely is.

I doubt many people use the keyboard to use the font and formatting tools so there would be no harm in letting the tab key skip the toolbar and go straight to the text itself.

It'd be great if you considered tweaking it. Thank you for a great service!

5 replies to this idea

Can we get an option for this? I understand the need to select those options with a keyboard for accessibility, but I don't think many people use the keyboard to select those options. You can't even get back to them with the keyboard after you've entered the text box anyway and having to hit tab 11 times to get from the title to the note seems a bit excessive.

I agree with senjin that this should be an option. There are lots of other applications I use (like the browser) where I want the global setting to let me tab between all controls. I shouldn't have to change the global option because this one application has a poorly designed user control sequence.

There was at least one version that worked exactly like we are asking for (about the time of the UI redesign for the title, URL, and tag inputs). As usual when creating notes, I typed in the note title and tags, tabbed once instinctively, and found my cursor in the note body. I rejoiced and my faith in Evernote's UI designers was renewed. Then I upgraded to the next version and all the joy was sucked away because the old behavior was back. I love Evernote, but I shake a fist at this stupidity every time I create a new note and can't tab to the body.

Archived