• Level 5

I just updated to v. 8 of the Android app, and it continues to be weird about editing images. If I open a note with an image and long-press the image, I get a popup menu with the options "Annotate, View, Copy, Edit, Edit a copy, Remove, Download." If I select Edit, nothing happens at all, except a "Resource not changed" notice appears at the bottom of the screen. If I select Annotate, a screen opens with the image and a variety of tools for marking, including adding a text-box. There's also a 3-dot menu at the top right with options to Crop and Rotate right/left. It's nice that it is possible to do these things from here. But I'd expect to do them in an editing tool, not annotating. So why is the Edit option there at all, if it doesn't do anything, and cropping and rotating appear in the Annotate tool?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I just updated to v. 8 of the Android app, and it continues to be weird about editing images. If I open a note with an image and long-press the image, I get a popup menu with the options "Annotate, View, Copy, Edit, Edit a copy, Remove, Download." If I select Edit, nothing happens at all, except a "Resource not changed" notice appears at the bottom of the screen. If I select Annotate, a screen opens with the image and a variety of tools for marking, including adding a text-box. There's also a 3-dot menu at the top right with options to Crop and Rotate right/left. It's nice that it is possible to do these things from here. But I'd expect to do them in an editing tool, not annotating. So why is the Edit option there at all, if it doesn't do anything, and cropping and rotating appear in the Annotate tool?

In my case I get an "unfortunately photo studio has stopped" message on Edit....

• Level 5
18 hours ago, gazumped said:

In my case I get an "unfortunately photo studio has stopped" message on Edit....

Yes, I remember now that I used to get that too. With my newer phone with Android 8 Oreo, the situation is as above. It sounds to me as if Evernote is trying to call some photo-editing app that doesn't exist on the device. Very poor practice to specify a particular app in the ever-changing Android environment, IMHO, if indeed that's what's happening.

• Level 5*

Thanks - last I looked,  I don't think I have this problem with my tablet,  but I do with my phone...  and the tablet has a newer Android OS.  Odd.  will have to check again...:unsure:  (The tablets not where I am ATM..)

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Lexbrkly said:

Evernote on my android phone tells me 'editing isn't supported for this image' (I've tried it with different pictures and notes).

Regards

Alex

Yes, I think I've seen that error message too. In ages past (like a year or two ago) it was actually possible to tap Edit and open a working image editor. Wonder what happened.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
On 7/6/2018 at 3:37 AM, ankurtyagi2422@gmail.com said:

when i attach photos in evernote from gallery they transform into like these

Hi.  Seems like the images in Gallery have a size or a setup that doesn't translate well into the database.  Where you can I'd suggest using Evernote's built-in camera feature. 

For the pictures that are already -apparently- affected,  I'd suggest opening them in an external desktop image editor.  You may find the original image is OK,  though the display is distorted.  Saving the image back to Evernote from the editor may be enough to improve the display.  If not you should be able to alter the proportions of the note back to normal with the editor.

If the image is cropped however,  I can't suggest anything to recover the lost portion(s) apart from revisiting the page URL and re-cropping on the desktop,  or via the Evernote camera.

• Level 5
On 5/28/2018 at 4:34 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

If I select Annotate, a screen opens with the image and a variety of tools for marking, including adding a text-box. There's also a 3-dot menu at the top right with options to Crop and Rotate right/left.

Just an update to my own observation. I realize now that in the Windows program as well (at least in the antiquated, still-functional version that I use [see below]), calling up the Annotation tool gives you an option to crop. So maybe it's some kind of odd way of unifying the experience across platforms. Yet in Windows, rotate is not a function of Annotation, but appears in the right-click menu. Still puzzling. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2018 at 6:36 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

in the Windows program [...] calling up the Annotation tool gives you an option to crop

Thank you, sir! This was what I was looking for, and I would never have searched it there without you!

Dear developers; why do you hide this basic & necessary feature (cropping) in such a way?

but anyway, I can use it now.

• Level 5

Welcome to the forums, @crack3d! I'm glad that helped you. I agree, that's a strange place to put a basic function like cropping, which is certainly not the same as annotating. FYI, though, Evernote's developers don't regularly respond to messages here, and it's hard to know how consistently they read these forums.

Archived