Martin Heuter

question from new user - receipts

Hi everyone, I hope I have finally found a solution to my 'paper' issue. I run a small business and collect lots of small receipts, which I staple to an A4 sheet, record (numbered) on a spreadsheet and hand over at the end of my business year to my accountant. I have downloaded Evernote and Scannable on my iPhone and my questions are:

1. is there a way of numbering individual receipts after I scanned them so that they correspond with my spreadsheet or do I do this as a post-edit?
  2. assuming that my accountant doesn't need the originals, rather than sending him a few hundred pdf/jpg files with individual receipts, is there a way of combining all my individual files into one, showing all receipts in one file?
  3. is there a way of integrating the pdf/jpg files into said spreadsheet or do I still need to keep a separate spreadsheet?

thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Martin

On 5/25/2018 at 11:56 PM, Martin Heuter said:

record (numbered) on a spreadsheet

I make sure the note title includes the required info, and mass copy to a spreadsheet

I'm using a Mac and Numbers spreadsheet and use scripts/formulas to parse the data

186476003_ScreenShot2018-05-29at14_22_20.png.6a6e58d962c77df7521a92b8ea9d224d.png

>>is there a way of numbering individual receipts after I scanned them so that they correspond with my spreadsheet or do I do this as a post-edit?

I'd say post-edit.
I don't use numbering; I just prefix the note title with the date.

>>assuming that my accountant doesn't need the originals, rather than sending him a few hundred pdf/jpg files with individual receipts, is there a way of combining all my individual files into one, showing all receipts in one file?

Combine all the files into a zip file and give that to the accountant

>>is there a way of integrating the pdf/jpg files into said spreadsheet or do I still need to keep a separate spreadsheet?

In my export to a spreadsheet, I include a link to the note in Evernote

On 5/26/2018 at 1:56 AM, Martin Heuter said:

Hi everyone, I hope I have finally found a solution to my 'paper' issue. I run a small business and collect lots of small receipts, which I staple to an A4 sheet, record (numbered) on a spreadsheet and hand over at the end of my business year to my accountant. I have downloaded Evernote and Scannable on my iPhone and my questions are:

1. is there a way of numbering individual receipts after I scanned them so that they correspond with my spreadsheet or do I do this as a post-edit?
  2. assuming that my accountant doesn't need the originals, rather than sending him a few hundred pdf/jpg files with individual receipts, is there a way of combining all my individual files into one, showing all receipts in one file?
  3. is there a way of integrating the pdf/jpg files into said spreadsheet or do I still need to keep a separate spreadsheet?

Martin

1. You would need to change the title of the note to correspond to the spreadsheet, or vice versa.  Whether you save the scan as an image or PDF it will get an extensive name "Scannable Document on May 29, 2018 at 6_47_28 PM.png or .pdf" for example.  The title will be Scannable Document in either case.
  2. Using the desktop app you can mass select the appropriate notes and print to PDF and send to your accountant.
  3. You can put links to notes in a spreadsheet or paste the image in the spreadsheet, but that may be more work that it's worth, your call.

There will be some maintenance to accomplish this.  Though if you have the numbers in the spreadsheet you can copy/paste them to the note title.  Might even be able to use a text expander to simplify the process.  You can give it a go and see if it feels right.

On 5/26/2018 at 2:56 AM, Martin Heuter said:

Martin

Following is what I would do if I have to solve that:

- Scan individual receipts with scannable app into Evernote, so you have individual notes per receipt

- Tag them Receipts, then select all of the receipts and create a table of contents

- I would create a table in Evernote (if you need Excel capabilities, such as filtering etc., this step would change)

- As I create this cross referencing, I would rename the titles of the each receipt with the corresponding no in the table. This would be easy since I can click on the REFERENCE cell in the below table to take me to the scanned receipt directly, there I would put 1- Receipt name etc.

- Then I would combine all the receipt notes into one note, print to PDF and then email the Table of Contents note (which is your index basically) and the backup PDF.

- The receipt PDFs will have the number of the referenced receipt in the table so if there are any issues, it is easy to refer to the table.

1189305869_Screenshot2018-05-2921_45_35.png.54fae3c97d05b1e8dcac73ee76bd3825.png

On 5/26/2018 at 2:56 AM, Martin Heuter said:

assuming that my accountant doesn't need the originals, rather than sending him a few hundred pdf/jpg files with individual receipts, is there a way of combining all my individual files into one, showing all receipts in one file?

Create a notebook for the receipts during the appropriate year, then right-click on this receipt Notebook and select "Share Notebook"

Send to accountant's email address
Select the appropriate option
*  "Can view" (my preference)
*  "Can edit"
*  "Can edit and invite"

This will let your accountant see all the receipts and all you did was send a single notification.

After an agreed upon time, you can remove the accountant's access to the receipts.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Of course:
Do NOT use the Permissions to "Publish or create a public link to this notebook".

7 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

Create a notebook for the receipts during the appropriate year, then right-click on this receipt Notebook and select "Share Notebook"
Of course: Do NOT use the Permissions to "Publish or create a public link to this notebook".

Sharing via a notebook is a good idea.

I don't have an issue with a public link when the url is known only by myself and the accountant.  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313668-Who-can-see-my-shared-notes-from-public-URL-links-p
This allows the notes to be viewed in any web browser without requiring an Evernote account.