Make text file attachments appear as icon?

I would like to attach .txt files to my notes, but not have them display (they're long data files).  I want the option for them to appear as icons instead, like you can do with a pdf.  Evernote always just displays the .txt file as if i had copy-pasted the file.  How can i force it to just display an icon?

• Level 5*

I'm guessing you imported the text file instead of adding as an att836773806_ScreenShot2018-05-24at12_47_32.png.9bd00d184ce0949a23e723bfd180f5f5.pngachment

As an attached file the file displays as per the screenshot.

There's documentation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313688-How-to-attach-a-file-in-a-note

Try creating a note, then dragging the file into the note.

edit: Apparently this issue is a Windows "feature"; I'll go away now

17 hours ago, lyonsdm said:

I would like to attach .txt files to my notes, but not have them display (they're long data files).  I want the option for them to appear as icons instead, like you can do with a pdf.  Evernote always just displays the .txt file as if i had copy-pasted the file.  How can i force it to just display an icon?

I was not able to save my TXT files within Evernote either. I download the TXT files for my credit card transactions to import into Excel and I would like to keep them in Evernote.

I drag the file into Evernote and it does not show it as a file, it imports the contents in.

I just tried putting the TXT file into my Import folder, it did the same.

So I just changed the extension to .DOC and it works. If I open it with Notepad, it works without having to change the extension.

And I renamed the file in Evernote and it now shows it as a TXT file.

So workaround for me....change the extension, import it to Evernote then change it back to TXT. Hope it works for you. 

This is all in Evernote windows app 6.7 by the way.

image.png.7af35af10d933345d6fb7f097ca0c614.png

48 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Try creating a note, then dragging the file into the note.

Nope, does not work. Immediately pastes the contents. Probably different in Mac OS.

• Level 5

I thought I had seen this problem surface once before, and it took some digging, but here it is, from January of this year, with discussion reporting similar results, including the workaround of renaming the extension:

At the time, I did some testing and found that it is possible to drag .txt files into a note as attachments using the Web interface (https://www.evernote.com/Home.action); and that on my Android phone I could attach a .txt file to a note through the menu (there's no dragging on Android).

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...