Disable hover links

Hi,

The hoverlink shown in my attachment started around the time of the web beta and while I like a lot of the web beta changes, this one drives me nuts because it obscures information and does not seem to be configurable.

I would love to find a way to disable this feature or possibly a pointer to a tampermonkey script to deal with it.  

Thanks,

Alan

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 9.31.36 AM.png

@laird I don't think there's another way to nicely access the edit/remove controls for links (although the link button at the top is... okay I guess), but here's a Tampermonkey script to hide them:

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Evernote Link Hover Controls Disabler
// @namespace    https://www.evernote.com/
// @version      0.1
// @description  Disable hover-over link controls
// @author       rezecib
// @match        http*://www.evernote.com/*
// @grant        GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';

GM_addStyle(`
        #gwt-debug-FloatingLinkBar-root {
            visibility: hidden !important;
        }
    `);
})();

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

This worked great until moving to the new format. 

I've been inspecting the source for about 30 minutes and it's way beyond me.

Any suggestions on what I would need to change to support the new format?

Thanks!

Alan

• Ex Employees

@laird This is the best I could come up with:

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Evernote Link Hover Controls Disabler
// @namespace    https://stage.evernote.com/
// @version      0.1
// @description  Disable hover-over link controls
// @author       rezecib
// @match        http*://stage.evernote.com/*
// @grant        GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';

GM_addStyle(`
        #qa-NOTE_LINK_HOVER_DIV{
            visibility: hidden !important;
            height: 0px;
            width: 0px;
            padding: 0px;
        }
    `);
})();

The problem is that the hover uses a higher-level div style (#qa-ACTIONS_MODAL) for the box. If I set that one to be hidden, you'll impact other dropdown menus that also use that style. For example, the tags pop-up menu when you click on a tag at the bottom of the note window. You can test this out by swapping "#qa-NOTE_LINK_HOVER_DIV" with "#qa-ACTIONS_MODAL". 

CSS does not have a way to select the parent such that I could only apply the style to #qa-ACTIONS_MODAL divs that contain #qa-NOTE_LINK_HOVER_DIV.

I also tried some jQuery, but I couldn't get it to work. I think this has to do with the fact that the code doesn't exist until the point at which you hover.

Maybe you can play with it more and get it to work?

• Like 1

Hi Scott, 

Thanks!  That's a lot cleaner than the hover links. 

It's interesting to hear how the hover has moved  to a different part of the CSS. 

I'd love to have this be an adjustable part of the UI but this userscript takes care of me nicely.

Thanks!

Alan

• 11 months later...

Looks like the UI has changed again and this Tampermonkey script no longer works.  I disabled my user scripts to make sure nothing else was causing an issue and I'm using the new web interface.  It feels a little like a transitional interface.  In chrome, links to other docs and sites are green links and there are no hoverlinks until you click in the doc and then they pop up and block the text view.

Switching back to the classic editor (which seems to be what was called the new editor the last two years) and the userscript works again and fonts are rendered more seamlessly.  

• 9 months later...

Still using the classic editor in chrome and this userscript continues to work.  

I keep getting pushed to the new editor and have to manually set it back to the old editor (which is sorta odd).

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I recently moved to Firefox on my home lab desktop and gave both of these hovernote disablers a test and neither worked.  There's been a lot of changes recently and wondered if you had any thoughts on how to make outbound links clickable instead of going to a hover. 

Without having an 'edit' button, I imagine it's hard to figure out if it's an edit or view experience.

Thanks!

Alan