Text Being Overwritten - How Do You Stop This?

I use Evernote daily & haven't encountered this problem before, but while typing additional details into a note, it suddenly started overwriting previous text. So now I can only type new text. I cannot go back and add to what's already there or correct a typo. It is not the "Insert" key doing this. As you click a letter to place the cursor there, it no longer blinks, it highlights the letter. Normally, if this happened by accident, simply hitting the left or right arrow keys would resolve this and you can type away. But this now only highlights the next or previous letter. This is extremely frustrating as well as time consuming & I don't know how to make it stop doing this. Did I accidentally turn this feature on or is this a glitch?

• Like 1

Is this on an iPad?

There is a feature on iPads where if you tap with two fingers, it selects an entire word. If you double tap with two fingers, it selects an entire sentence. If you accidentally do this, and keep typing, it overwrites what you selected.

I’ve done this many times, and I don’t know any good way around it (other than hitting undo, or using an external keyboard). 

• 11 months later...

I am having the same issue (Windows 7, desktop application).  I did not see a resolution on this thread.  Can anyone help me?

I did find that it is only occurring in the one note.  Works fine in any other note, and copying all text into new note allows it to work fine.  Would still like to know resolution.

It is possible that I accidentally pressed several different unknown keys when it started happening.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Andrew Zwart said:

I am having the same issue (Windows 7, desktop application).  I did not see a resolution on this thread.  Can anyone help me?

I did find that it is only occurring in the one note.  Works fine in any other note, and copying all text into new note allows it to work fine.  Would still like to know resolution.

It is possible that I accidentally pressed several different unknown keys when it started happening.

Don't know.  But you could try copying the entire note into a new note and see if that solves the problem.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

You know mate you are the real MVP - thanks a lot mate. This has been something that's been bugging me for a long time, I had to switch from different word processors thinking that they were the problem. 

For those wondering how they turn it on accidentally, if you have a number keyboard then have the NUM LOCK turned on by mistake and try typing anything then the '0' key becomes the insert key. 

Thanks again @WhatsInTheName 

Regards 

• 5 months later...
On 5/20/2018 at 1:22 AM, Return2Basics said:

I use Evernote daily & haven't encountered this problem before, but while typing additional details into a note, it suddenly started overwriting previous text. So now I can only type new text. I cannot go back and add to what's already there or correct a typo. It is not the "Insert" key doing this. As you click a letter to place the cursor there, it no longer blinks, it highlights the letter. Normally, if this happened by accident, simply hitting the left or right arrow keys would resolve this and you can type away. But this now only highlights the next or previous letter. This is extremely frustrating as well as time consuming & I don't know how to make it stop doing this. Did I accidentally turn this feature on or is this a glitch?

Hi everyone, just had the same issue on the 10.18.3 win desktop version. This solved my problem:

Click: "File > Quit Evernote"

Open Evernote again and the problem should be disappeared. 

I Guess it also works to restart Evernote through the Task Manager or a full PC restart.

Have a nice day y'all

• Like 2