Indexing within and between notes (was tagging)

I find tagging cumbersome, even after multiple forays into how it's done by others.

Indexing software, akin to those programs used in publishing to create an index for a text, would be fab! Even better than "indexing" [read "tagging"] by occurrence, a facility that also enabled manual editing to add/delete/modify said tags would be so welcome! Maybe it's in place and I just don't know where to find it?!

Tagging features are a little different between the clients, but all of them should have a Tags sidebar entry / section where you can view all tags, set hierarchy for them, and rename them.

You can do bulk-tagging in the note list of the desktop apps.

There is a... "hidden" index that supports search, but I guess doesn't quite replace the scenario of skimming an index to see what's there. I don't know of anything we have for that right now.

14 hours ago, Leslie Alexander said:

I find tagging cumbersome, even after multiple forays into how it's done by others.

Indexing software, akin to those programs used in publishing to create an index for a text, would be fab! Even better than "indexing" [read "tagging"] by occurrence, a facility that also enabled manual editing to add/delete/modify said tags would be so welcome! Maybe it's in place and I just don't know where to find it?!

It is a good idea but I think it is different than tagging for me. Even if that kind of indexing existed, I would still need my tags due to the fact I sometimes do not know what I am looking for.

Let's say as I am doing a project plan, I remember that we have a done a similar project (construction project) in the same municipality couple of years ago, I will do a tag search for that job number and the "lessons learned" tag. I don't remember all the issues that went or how I described in the note. But with this tag search, I don't have to. Now I am looking at a number of notes that there was some type of a lesson learned. I did not have to remember any word within or even what it was about.

Similarly, I have a "tickler" tag that I run one a month or so. It just brings stuff to my focus from numerous different context I use it to "surprise" myself or just to have an idea session where I am not really planning on thinking about anything, I am just being nudged with the notes I tagged tickler.

Tagging might be cumbersome but once you get a good system going that works for you, I think it is the most important feature of Evernote. Of course, there will be taggers vs. notebookers arguments | discussions. Again, whatever works for the user but if you can incorporate tagging consistently into your workflow, it takes it to the next level.

Archived