Evernote for iOS 8.12 Released

annah

Idea

• Ex Employees

Hey folks, we just released 8.12 to the App Store!

New/Returning:

• If your bluetooth headphones also have a microphone (*cough* Apple AirPods *cough*), you'll be happy to know you can now use them to record audio into Evernote.
  • Good news for Premium and Business customers: You love the Context feature, so we've brought it back. Reunion tour! 
  • We've tweaked the note list view so you always know where you are (and when). Now, the month and year stays pinned helpfully at the top as you browse your notes. Or if you use the scrollbar, a box automagically appears so you can leap from month to month like a gazelle.
  • We've cleaned up the sharing menu to make it easier for you to share your notes and generate links so other people can view them. The previous options are still there too, we just brought the good stuff to the front. Let us know what you think!

Fixed:

• You may have been getting an error message when you tried to view your recent notes in the widget. That's probably not what you were hoping for, but we've fixed it now. 
  • When you looked at a note's preview in the note list, any bullets you had would appear above the text, not next to it where you'd expect. Weird, right? It all looks good now though.
  • We took care of some of the top sync and copy & paste issues that were getting in your way.

As always, let us know your thoughts.

20 replies to this idea

2 hours ago, dudeman313 said:

How can I share a private link to a note like I used to do?

In Evernote iOS, from within a note, tap the silhouette top right, then tap "More sharing options" at the bottom. A menu will show up, the first option is "Copy internal link".

Apparently no public link is created until you tap "Shareable link off" to turn it on.

11 hours ago, DTLow said:

Where are you seeing this.  You quoted a post discussing the public share link.

The sharing within Evernote options are now "prioritized" within the sharing pane. 

I think the gist of my feedback is:

- Printing and sharing should be seperate functions. I don't want to create a public Link when printing

- I don't necessarily want to create a public Link when using app extensions to open the note in another app. Bring back private links for app extensions 

- Sharing within Evernote doesn't need to be prioritized in the sharing pane

815D4217-C5BA-4695-9D08-4F2EBE556FAF.jpeg

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, dudeman313 said:

So I really don't understand prioritizing sharing within Evernote. 

Where are you seeing this.  You quoted a post discussing the public share link.

On 6/3/2018 at 5:38 AM, Drfitz said:

We’re trying to print a grocery list we created in Evernote from an iPad to our home wireless printer. We used to use the icon with the arrow coming upward out of the box, like any other iPad print function. That’s gone, so looked in “share”. “Print” is not an option unless we turn on making the note “shareable” and then it wants to access our whole contact list. Look, I get that you’re proud of your shiny new collaboration features and want to promote the “teams” or whatever it is, but wow, you must keep sharing and printing separate. Many of us keep infprmation in Evernote that we would be very worried about accidentally sharing with people on our contact list. A grocery list is harmless, but what about an internal work memo or customer information?

Please, please, please put the printing function back as a separate function and don’t require sharing to be “turned on” in order to print a note. This is a potential deal-breaker for me.

And, by the way, I don’t see printing on the new Android version at all, even under the “make shareable” nonsense.

I 100% agree. This is one of the worst updates to the sharing features I've seen. Here's a news flash... Not everyone has Evernote. In fact, nowadays fewer and fewer people are using Evernote. So I really don't understand prioritizing sharing within Evernote. Maybe it's because they are very focused on Evernote for teams? Anyways, I'm seriously considering just using IOS Notes. It does 99% of what I need, is free, and doesn't make nonsensical changes to their UI. Any changes are usually relatively minor and they are constantly adding more features (rather than removing them like Evernote does). 

We’re trying to print a grocery list we created in Evernote from an iPad to our home wireless printer. We used to use the icon with the arrow coming upward out of the box, like any other iPad print function. That’s gone, so looked in “share”. “Print” is not an option unless we turn on making the note “shareable” and then it wants to access our whole contact list. Look, I get that you’re proud of your shiny new collaboration features and want to promote the “teams” or whatever it is, but wow, you must keep sharing and printing separate. Many of us keep infprmation in Evernote that we would be very worried about accidentally sharing with people on our contact list. A grocery list is harmless, but what about an internal work memo or customer information?

Please, please, please put the printing function back as a separate function and don’t require sharing to be “turned on” in order to print a note. This is a potential deal-breaker for me.

And, by the way, I don’t see printing on the new Android version at all, even under the “make shareable” nonsense.

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, dudeman313 said:

Even printing a note forces me to publicly share my note!? Makes no sense. 

I agree.  Moving the share extension 2132444288_ScreenShot2018-05-29at06_09_03.png.0fcee92550f945dc825f1192fa047673.png under shareable link was a bad decision.

18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The private/internal link works for me in other apps.  It's a browser link, so a browser window is opened, along with an "open in Evernote app button"

Whats missing is the classic/in-app link (evernote:///view/1156...)

I have an app extension I use that relies on private link to open in that app. So the copy link is useless, without the ability to open in the app extension. Right now the only way I can find to get the app extensions window is using the public link.

Even printing a note forces me to publicly share my note!? Makes no sense. 

61A75FAF-CE0D-4BA9-8CDF-5E0E284A4FA9.jpeg

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, dudeman313 said:

I want to open a private link in another app. Currently it only let's you open in another application using the public link. Anyone know how to "open in..." Using private link?

The private/internal link works for me in other apps.  A browser window is opened, and includes an "open in Evernote app button"

Whats missing is the classic/in-app link (evernote:///view/1156...)

J

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

The link workflow has changed.IMG_2328.jpg

Public Link:  85851920_ScreenShot2018-05-29at06_23_18.png.1199176a4c01f1d78d25c6636474e663.png > 1895947795_ScreenShot2018-05-29at06_09_03.png.66aef69d33a4a587bd7879bf206d5bd8.png  > Copy Link

Private Link:  85851920_ScreenShot2018-05-29at06_23_18.png.1199176a4c01f1d78d25c6636474e663.png > More Sharing Options > Copy Internal Link

IMG_2329.jpg.f36cbbc19a082f41a49c908cb993da26.jpg

Hi,

I want to open a private link in another app. Currently it only let's you open in another application using the public link. Anyone know how to "open in..." Using private link?

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, dudeman313 said:

The sharing options are different. How can I share a private link to a note like I used to do?

The link workflow has changed.IMG_2328.jpg

Public Link:  85851920_ScreenShot2018-05-29at06_23_18.png.1199176a4c01f1d78d25c6636474e663.png > 1895947795_ScreenShot2018-05-29at06_09_03.png.66aef69d33a4a587bd7879bf206d5bd8.png  > Copy Link

Private Link:  85851920_ScreenShot2018-05-29at06_23_18.png.1199176a4c01f1d78d25c6636474e663.png > More Sharing Options > Copy Internal Link

IMG_2329.jpg.f36cbbc19a082f41a49c908cb993da26.jpg

The sharing options are different. How can I share a private link to a note like I used to do? I don't want my note to be publicly available if I need to just copy that link into a calendar event or document. It seems like when I tap the share button it immediately makes my note publicly available without asking if I want to create a private or public link?

Not the best in terms of security or privacy. Haven't you seen that privacy and security are major things in the news nowadays?

Also sharing now takes additional taps. I have to press in the silhouette in the corner of the note first, then I have to press the share button. Then press where I want to share to. Help me understand why this is a better design? So it is slightly clearer how to share within Evernote... But most people I interact with don't use Evernote. I'm starting to get tired of these "revisions" that add more steps to what is already a bit cumbersome. Maybe I should switch to note platform that is more ubiquitous like IOS notes. It has a very similar feature set, its free, and Apple respects my privacy. Most of all they continue to add more useful features and make it very simple to use.

Someone please help. I want to keep using Evernote, but everyday I find less and less to justify it.

Hi

I am trying to help a user who is reporting that, in spite of having installed the latest version, is having trouble searching for text within an image In my notes.

He saved a screenshot of a web page and created a note in Evernote, but when he search in iPad and iphone apps within the note for keywords it says there are no matches. When he searches on his computer it works.

Is anyone experiencing this behaviour?

Thank you!

Archived