Tangle - make connections between your notes automatically

Hello, fellow Evernote users!

My name is Myles McGinley, and I am the founder of Tangle, a knowledge management tool and Evernote integration that generates connections between your notes and automatically shows you them in an explorable graph. We are launching our closed alpha test in early July and are looking for passionate Evernote users to try out Tangle and give us feedback. Click here to sign-up!

A bit about why we are building Tangle:

We have found that our knowledge is siloed. It is siloed as thoughts in our notebooks, emails in our inbox, and files in our folders. Most importantly, it is siloed across people. The greatest innovation, collaboration, and creative breakthroughs come from connections, yet our technology continues to focus on isolated content creation. 

A solution for personal knowledge management in today's world of information overload should be holistic and connected. It should constantly give you the feeling of building an explorable map. It should frequently elicit the dopamine rush of the Aha! moment. It should automatically connect your current thinking to the past. It should not only seal the cracks through which so many of our ideas slip but opportunistically bring them back to the surface when helpful. 

That is how it feels using Tangle. We are building it because we believe in empowering everyone to capture and connect thoughts to create big ideas.

A description of the product:

Tangle is your personal knowledge graph. It’s a tool that leverages the power of connections to make anything you write down more valuable. Capture your thoughts, jot down ideas or take notes without worrying about how to organize them and watch as they connect automatically with any related information in your tangle. Easily surface interesting relationships between what you know when you search your tangle.

You can also integrate Tangle with Evernote. Easily import your Evernote notebook to seed your tangle and immediately visualize all the connections between your notes. Don't worry, this is a one-way import, we do not touch any of your Evernote data and anything you import into Tangle can be easily exported as well. We will be developing more integrations soon!

We'd love some of you guys to give Tangle a shot. If you are interested in learning more, visit https://usetangle.com and sign-up!

Thanks for reading! Feel free ask any questions and I will be sure to get back to you.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Can you provide details on how the automatic part of this works.
Most of my notes are stand-alone; but I do use hyperlinks to cross-reference notes.
I also make use of tag feature.

Sure,

As soon as you capture a note in the system, it extracts entities and uses those as the basis for relating your notes.

The system also uses tags as well as a means of manual curation and connection! 

In general, our system operates as a personal recommendation system. Given a note, our system uses your personal knowledge graph to recommend related notes back to you. These relations could come from the people or ideas that you write about.

This reminds me of MohioMap which was a great idea so I signed up too.

I've been wanting to see my notes "spread" on a canvas that will allow me to connect, view and move around. This may be close to it. We shall see.

What is the ETA?

Evenote as a murky information silo is something I’ve been thinking about lately.. Currently, I some mindmaps with Evernote links in them which is kind of a connective solution, but not exactly automatic. Will it retain user made note links between Evernote notes?

1 hour ago, TK0047 said:

This reminds me of MohioMap which was a great idea so I signed up too.

I've been wanting to see my notes "spread" on a canvas that will allow me to connect, view and move around. This may be close to it. We shall see.

What is the ETA?

ETA is beginning of July. Looking forward to your feedback when we release!

22 minutes ago, bounce said:

Evenote as a murky information silo is something I’ve been thinking about lately.. Currently, I some mindmaps with Evernote links in them which is kind of a connective solution, but not exactly automatic. Will it retain user made note links between Evernote notes?

It is something we are certainly considering as we build the Evernote parser.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, bounce said:

Evenote as a murky information silo

That's a little unfair IMHO - the search feature always allows you to highlight items of interest.  I tend to throw everything into Evernote and 'connect' it later.  If I buy something online I'll make a note.  Then add the acknowledgement email.  And the 'we're about to deliver' email (with a reminder for the date).  Plus the delivery note,  user guide and -maybe- pictures of the unboxing.  If I need to see the whole story,  a search on the order number will connect all the dots. 

Or maybe I'm researching a holiday...  tour guides,  travel plans,  checklists all go into Evernote.  This time I'd cheat and add a tag <holiday2018> to find all the bits.  But searching for each country name will remind me that I have a friend in Spain,  so I can tag his address in case we get a chance to visit...  Or I might have saved endless clips about photography and decide that I want to do some landscapes / portraits / night shots while away.  I can set up some saved searches in favorites to bring up the relevant clips.

New 'views' of existing data are never bad - the clump of information around photography might suggest I'm spending too much time there;  or analyzing emails might show me my most important customer isn't who I thought.  I actually don't know what connections might show up,  which for me is the interesting bit.  ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@gazumped yea that was worded a little harshly, I agree. A few days ago I had a 14 hour flight and still recovering from little sleep. Spent most of the time up in the air in my notes, making note links and formatting them better as a favor to my future self. During the process I kept wanting more automation of linking (I keep tags to a minimum), better Boolean searching, just something to surprise me out of what I have in there. Maybe it’s my Evernote that’s a silo since on my first account I was one of the first thousand users and I’ve merged all the data and kept building...

I use “in text tags” with shortcut expanders and put keywords and summaries in often referenced notes, even doodle summaries and stick the jpg in some notes so I’ll recognize that in note previews. Would be nice if Evernote had things like text tagging and multi-color highlighting like Marginnotepro. They controversial things I’d like to see are some AI and some better visualization to get perspectives like you mentioned in your last paragraph.

• Like 1
On 5/17/2018 at 8:46 PM, bounce said:

Currently, I some mindmaps with Evernote links in them which is kind of a connective solution, but not exactly automatic

This is a good idea for sure! Curious, how do you use it? Can you provide examples even a screenshot if possible? I have MindMaps that I would throw in Evernote links but not too many. I would like to learn more and get ideas if possible.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

I would like to learn more and get ideas if possible.

We're busily hijacking @Myles McGinley's thread here - if there's more non-Tangle related stuff I suggest we take it elsewhere! I set up a new thread here:

I'll add some more comment there...

(Sorry Myles... ;))

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Myles McGinley said:

Perhaps the wrong forum, but what do you guys think of the Evernote Context feature? Would love to hear where you think it falls short and where it excels. Do you find it useful?

Honestly, I do not remember any single time that I used the Context feature and said wow this was great. And evidently, I have it turned on currently. (Just checked and realized).

From what I can remember, it was never finding anything that was really related or that was not so obviously related. 

Now, I am going to turn it back on to see if there is some value.

Is Tangle going to start out as desktop then move to mobile or vice-versa?

I’m barely aware context is there. The results were so lackluster for so long that maybe I trained my brain that it was a waste of energy to look there. Maybe it’s due to the design as well, there isn’t any visual hook to look there. That could be intentional.

On mobile now, so no context. Will take a look at it when back at laptop. 

17 hours ago, Myles McGinley said:

Hey guys - Would love your input on the survey I am doing for my company. We are thinking about connections between notes as not just a "single-player" feature, but a "multi-player" one too and would love to hear what you think.

Thanks in advance!

https://goo.gl/forms/oZAmCJdu0XlDzZAP2

Completed.

The who question "What do you take notes on" (or whatever the phrasing was) was a little not clear to me. Like on type of app or the things you take notes about....I assume the "about" is the one you were going after.

Hey Myles, I took the survey. To answer you previous question,  I am noticing better results in the context feature of Evernote now. Thing is, I drop so many note links in the top of my critical notes that I rarely go all the way down there to navigate. I've done some PKM research on my own and I've read it's better to demonstrate links between information visually. One way I try to do that is  to drop note links at the top as mentioned and use a universal emoji/character/line/graphic system to quickly see what I need to. Would help if some of this were automatic and a lot more visual.

On 6/20/2018 at 4:17 PM, Myles McGinley said:

@bounce def want to hear your and @TK0047 thoughts.

We are starting out as a website. Have both desktop and mobile apps on the roadmap.

So far, I've found the Linkedin Profile Context the most useful. It sticks out better than the others because of the profile photo. The other notes show random snippets so it is hard to decipher on the fly. You have to take the time to read the title etc. to see if it is really relevant.

Now I am looking an receipt from the grocery store pharmacy, the context shows me 6 notes that are receipts from the same grocery store. Nothing genius there at all. But my note with the receipt mentions the ear infection I am dealing with, and I have other notes about the doctor visit I did and the medication photo with the Rx number etc. So if it was pulling those notes, then I would say that is brilliant. Pulling other receipts is very straight forward. Make the connections from the content to the other notes, that's where the "making connections easily" comes to play in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody messed with Tangle alpha so far? I created a note or two so far. Importing from Evernote is not perfect for formatting so did not really spend too much time on it.

Anybody?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

Has anybody messed with Tangle alpha so far? I created a note or two so far. Importing from Evernote is not perfect for formatting so did not really spend too much time on it.

Anybody?

Yup - that would be me.  Similar quick look - vaguely impressed that if I add several notes and start a new one it automatically lists the previous notes I had on the same topic.  Around these here parts I believe we calls that "Context".  Wasn't surprised by any deep insights,  but I haven't put enough data in there to test it yet.  I do have a data set that might be interesting,  but that means importing a few hundred notes...and maybe there's a problem with formatting.  Ugh.  Maybe this weekend.  I'll let you know!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, bounce said:

never received the sign-up e-mail in any folder including spam.

I did see a warning early on that Tangle wasn't yet GDPR compliant,  so for the meantime couldn't be offered to anyone in the EU - don't know if that still applies.  You might want to reach out to the OP here... @Myles McGinley...

• 11 months later...

I did a "Created last year today" search in Evernote (created:day-365 -created:day-364) and found a note about Tangle.

What was the outcome of the Tangle? Did anything come out of it?

• Level 5*

Serendipity!  I hadn't heard from them since the last posts above - the website looks dead now apart from a bitcoin email address and a sign-up form for the (still) Alpha trials...