For installation, what does Evernote consider a "Local Drive"?

I have a small laptop that has a 32 gig SSD C:\ drive and I have a 64 Gig SD card that I use for all my program installations, docs, etc.  When trying to install E on the SD card it gives an error message about installation directory must be a local hard drive.  How is my SD card not a local hard drive?

Can I get around this?  I'm a paid E user.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Not sure of the definition of Hard Drive,  but I think the SD card counts as 'removable storage' and is not supported by Evernote for installation.  If your C:\ drive can hold the Evernote files (up to about 300MB) you'll be able to overwrite the default database storage location to the SD card.  Otherwise you might consider the web client via Evernote.com,  or maybe trying the unofficial Evernote Portable version from https://www.thinstallsoft.com/evernote/ -their ported version came out in early 2017.

• Level 5*

Unlike your hard drive on the motherboard, an SD card isn't "local" in the same way. It isn't immediately available to the apps in the OS, and may not even be immediately available to the OS itself depending on when the firmware enumerates USB drives.

Apps have to be specifically written to work on USB drives and will offer an option to install to removable media.

Evernote is not such an app. Other than utilities that you'd want to move around to different machines without doing local installs, very few apps today are. 

Thanks, guys.  I successfully installed the portable version and it works well.  All I need is to access my notes, not all the clipping stuff.  I hope this helps others.  See this link: https://www.thinstallsoft.com/evernote/

BTW, EdH, Evernote is the only app so far that fails to install on the SD card.  WPSOffice, ccleaner and a bunch of others install just fine.

Bob

PS, this is my 10-yr anniversary with Evernote.  I call it "the junk drawer for my mind".

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, Bob_Hatcher said:

I successfully installed the portable version and it works well. 

Just wondering; Is "the portable version" an Evernote supported product, or a third party clone?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dconnet said:

Well, we don't create it, so ...

Their web page says Developer: www.evernote.com

Download Evernote Portable

Developer: www.evernote.com
Password: www.thinstallsoft.com
MD5 Hash: 154DE91DAF60C00D4AF078126B8C37DE

Download Evernote Portable 6.5.4.4720 Public
EvernotePortable_6.5.4.4720.paf.exe (67.90 MB)
@ThinstallSoft.com | Evernote Portable 6.5.4.4720 Download Page | Old Versions

Download Evernote Portable 6.4.2.3788
EvernotePortable_6.4.2.3788.paf.exe (65.1 MB)
@ThinstallSoft.com | Evernote Portable 6.4.2.3788 Download Page

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Their web page says Developer: www.evernote.com

The original Evernote installer comes from Evernote. Then, as far as I can tell, it gets wrapped up in some other executable (e.g. EvernotePortable_6.5.4.4720.paf.exe ) that portabalizes it. The portabalizer stuff isn't written by Evernote.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, jefito said:

The original Evernote installer comes from Evernote. Then, as far as I can tell, it gets wrapped up in some other executable (e.g. EvernotePortable_6.5.4.4720.paf.exe ) that portabalizes it. The portabalizer stuff isn't written by Evernote.

So now you have a third party app around your Evernote app and you have to trust they aren't monitoring or using your Evernote data on your machine in any way. Which is all in plain text by the way....

That's a no from me...

Archived