Idea

What I love about Todoist is the Karma points. It provides a secret motivation for me since I am a firm believer in "tracking" and "measuring" things.

If you cannot measure it, you cannot manage | improve it!

Karma in Todoist serves dual purposes in my opinion. One is that once you start getting to a certain level, I think you would reconsider switching Task Management apps since you built up all this Karma and momentum. 2nd, it does give you a sense of achievement as you level up. This is very important for the "gamer" mentality. If you want to learn more about the gamer mentality (even if you don't play video games), check out the book "Reality is Broken" by Jane McGonigal. It basically talks about the feedback people need as well as the rewards.

A bonus about the Karma was, when I reached Professional level, I received an email with a 3 month Premium Subscription Free code - One for me and one for a friend! This is where the Marketing and Sales part comes into play! What a great way to promote the premium subscription. I was not aware of this when I signed up for premium so it was a nice 3 month add on!

When I reached the Expert level, I received the same codes - one for me and one for a friend! To me this was genius! It keeps me as a customer and it makes me recommend it to others which I have done to couple friends.

I think this could be a great strategy and a tool for Evernote as well. Number of notes could be a Karma related item, or even the content as far as number of PDFs, images, words etc. Some kinda of formula to calculate your Karma points. It will add value and more loyalty to the users in my opinion.

image.thumb.png.92c053c508afdf00dd5b493c9a9285e3.png

19 replies to this idea

Just an FYI update, I received another 3 months free from Todoist when I reached the Grand Master level.

I think it is a brilliant idea....I guess I am the only one who thinks that way since this has become such a popular topic!!! :D

I still believe it is a good suggestion.

12 hours ago, TK0047 said:

Just an FYI update, I received another 3 months free from Todoist when I reached the Grand Master level.

I think it is a brilliant idea....I guess I am the only one who thinks that way since this has become such a popular topic!!! :D

I still believe it is a good suggestion.

I was a Todoist user for a couple of years and to be honest I just scratched my head over the whole karma thing ... didn't do anything for me, but if they are now giving out free months, there's that.  It didn't hook me into staying since I ended up back to Evernote for tasks.  I prefer to stay in one tool and with saved searches was able to make EN work for my task needs.

On 6/6/2018 at 11:06 AM, s2sailor said:

I was a Todoist user for a couple of years and to be honest I just scratched my head over the whole karma thing ... didn't do anything for me, but if they are now giving out free months, there's that.  It didn't hook me into staying since I ended up back to Evernote for tasks.  I prefer to stay in one tool and with saved searches was able to make EN work for my task needs.

I went through the opposite. I was using Evernote for tracking the action items but it was not really cutting it since my "next actions" were within notes and it was not easy to just to get a list of things to do without seeing all the details around (partially due to how I create my notes). I even tried the TaskClone to clone all checkboxes into a single note in Evernote...talk about getting overwhelmed! All checklists from all notes in one note! :)

Nonetheless, that's when I gave Todoist a try as a dedicated task management app and I now use TaskClone to communicate between Evernote and Todoist. It is working for me, no complaints, although I agree that one tool would be ideal. But if I make a clear separation for the use and cross reference, I get around it.

Going back to the Karma points, I think it is a good measuring tool for how much you are using and how much you are getting things accomplished. Have not seen any other apps with something similar though.

1 minute ago, TK0047 said:

since my "next actions" were within notes

To manage tasks in Evernote, I use a separate note for each task.

This allows me to flag actionable notes, next actions, ....  
I also assign due date using the reminder feature.
I use the search feature to produce task lists with various criteria; current tasks, by project, ...

2 hours ago, TK0047 said:

I went through the opposite. I was using Evernote for tracking the action items but it was not really cutting it since my "next actions" were within notes and it was not easy to just to get a list of things to do without seeing all the details around

When reminders first came out in Evernote I tried to make them work and couldn't to my satisfaction so moved on to Todoist for task management.  It wasn't until later when I tried just one task per note as @DTLow mentions, and use of saved searches and tags that I could make this work for me.  I can arrange task lists anyway I need to: work, home, by project, today, overdue, etc ....  I liked the Todoist interface but the desire to stay within EN and now that I had a workable method, not perfect, but close enough, I left Todoist and have stayed with EN. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

but the desire to stay within EN and now that I had a workable method, not perfect, but close enough,

Ditto.  Everything in is one place with immediate access (links) to collateral materials if need be.  It got even better for me with saved views in conjunction with saved searches.  And, a reminder per note is key, whether it be a specific task or a phone log note.  Plays nice on the iPhone as well other than the lack of a reminder date sort.  FWIW.

7 minutes ago, CalS said:

It got even better for me with saved views

Saved views?

1 minute ago, s2sailor said:

Saved views?

Windows thing.  Set the view type, columns if a list view and sort sequence to your liking for the saved search and henceforth whenever you execute the search that will be the view presented.  For example, my next 7 day search is side list with Reminder Time, Title, Tags, Location as columns sorted ascending by Reminder Time.  All my to do searches are like that actually.  I get a nice list that way.  Obviously I don't use time as much as the date.  Though sometimes I will enter a time if I want to "force" a morning sort on something, but not often.  Easy enough to scan the list, particularly on Today, Tomorrow and Late searches.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.283e19266f8db2c2b1018e37fbb19ff5.png

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CalS said:

Set the view type, columns if a list view and sort sequence to your liking for the saved search and henceforth whenever you execute the search that will be the view presented.

and that is why I still follow this forum ... there is always something new and useful to learn here.  I wasn't aware that the view selection would stick to the saved search.  In general I like snippet view the best and just use that but this now opens up new possibilities.  List view will be better for some of my saved searches.  Very helpful, thanks!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, s2sailor said:

and that is why I still follow this forum ... there is always something new and useful to learn here.  I wasn't aware that the view selection would stick to the saved search.  In general I like snippet view the best and just use that but this now opens up new possibilities.  List view will be better for some of my saved searches.  Very helpful, thanks!

You are welcome, tags too if you like.  Glad to see you are coming from the dark side of Snippet view (gentle razz to @jefito ?)  

2 minutes ago, CalS said:

Glad to see you are coming from the dark side of Snippet view (gentle razz to @jefito ? )

☺️ I'm aware.

• Like 1

@TK0047

Sorry, we kind of took your Karma Points thread a bit sideways....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CalS said:

@TK0047

I was thinking that, too. Long ago, before there were Gurus, there were 'Evangelists', several of us, who were chosen to do moderator-y things, help out with spam patrol, give advice, etc. We did get a few perks -- a couple of Evernote t-shirts, some free premium months, a Moleskine notebook. All very nice, and appreciated, but really I found that it wasn't necessary, at least in my case. Currently I'm still doing the same thing just as many of the more active Gurus are (bless their Evernote green little hearts), with no rewards, and it's all good. I guess maybe we might get more active participation if there were a karma points style rewards system, but I'm not sure about it.

BTW, in the future, you should be using the term 'The Superior Snippet View (tm)'. Deep in your heart, you know it's true...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, jefito said:

BTW, in the future, you should be using the term 'The Superior Snippet View (tm)'. Deep in your heart, you know it's true...

Nice term.  However, in my heart I favor the “The Vastly Superior Side List View (tm)”.  I’m sure you will come around and see the err in your ways at some point.  

8 hours ago, CalS said:

I’m sure you will come around and see the err in your ways at some point.  

"Err", maybe not... :) 

15 hours ago, CalS said:

@TK0047

No worries. At least, it generated conversation and engagement which is what the forums are about for me. 

I never used the "saved views" either and now it made me think about it to see if I can get benefit from it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jefito said:

"Err", maybe not... :) 

There’s always hope.  ?

58 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

I never used the "saved views" either and now it made me think about it to see if I can get benefit from it.

Hope it helps with something.