Add Way to Set Default Font and Size in Evernote iOS App

raindog

Idea

59 replies to this idea

On 2/11/2019 at 7:37 AM, gazumped said:

Evernote user count: 225M+

Votes for this thread....  33

Just sayin'

I'm going to try hard to not turn this into a personal attack, but..

Why in the world would someone post this? This is a forum for requesting features. Someone requested a feature, and you feel you need to post something discouraging about their request? What does this mean - its a poor idea, because there haven't been many requests? You don't agree with the need, even though you apparently don't use iOS?

If you really think there are 225M currently active users, ALL requests in this forum are going to be from a very tiny percentage of users. If someone makes a feature request you don't agree with, or you think will never be implemented, why comment at all? Seems to me any feature requests should be welcomed.

And yes, I agree completely with this request - the tiny default font on iOS is a pain.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 27/06/2017 at 5:51 AM, Pmif said:

Ironically, even this comment area allows for changing the font

Hi.  Different software,  different developers, definitely not ironic.  Evernote are aware that we users like to have this sort of feature,  and have made some progress towards it.  I'm pretty sure they didn't just get so far and stop.  More options should be available in future updates.

I've told you this problem before. When you write a note in the iOS application, the font characters in the windows application are freaking out. Onenote has developed a perfect and simple solution for this. You can also select the default font and size in the mobile app (same as PC app). In this way, you do not experience any font mismatch in your notes in windows and ios. You can add this setting to the main settings section. I'm sending you a example in the attachment.

onenote-photo9.jpg

• Like 1

Agreed! This is something that has actually become a pretty big issue for me as there are shared notes that I need the ability to format in all the ways as the Desktop version. I guess this is something I will have to give up until it becomes an issue to someone AT Evernote! 

I totally agree with you Raindog. With Evernote is has been a few steps forward and a few steps back with every update. I remember an iOS version where it was possible to at least choose a few different sizes for headers. Not perfect, but that's not even possible right now.

I do believe change is coming soon though, reading blog posts like this. https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/09/22/the-future-of-writing-in-evernote. Let's hope we don't get more half-baked new features, but get more focus on that what's already in there. To do what we use it for in a more perfect way.

Yea, I came here exactly to "complain" about inconsistencies between the web-version and the app.
Because even though I've used Evernote for some loose personal use for about a year or so, I just started applying to projects between me and other people.
For example; I would have a notebook with notes shared with another person, or multiple people, and I was figuring how to keep track of who typed what.
Well, I thought the solution would be to change the font-color. And it is, until you want to use the app, which doesn't have that feature.

This baffled me, because how simple of a thing is that to do, really? Unless the whole coding or nature of the app is so different, what's the problem?...
Maybe the developers of the web-version and the app-version should use Evernote to communicate their plans and changes better.
Who wants to bet they don't even use it... Because such an inconsistency would be obvious.
I mean, really, you can change the font itself, what's keeping them from implementing that you can change the color?... It's just weird.

The same for some other features, by the way. Such as audio-files. You can insert/attach audio-files with the web and desktop versions, but with the app it's recordings with the microphone only.
I happen to be an audio/music-producer, and to be able to share samples and such right there in the notes is great. But in case I'm mobile and need to include an audio-file, it just doesn't seem to be possible and I have to wait until I can get to a PC.

So I just wish they would unify their different versions, before differences become huge and it becomes a real mess.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Not sure about your problems with sound files but I can happily record MP3's on a Samsung Note4 and attach them to my notes..  And I have collaborated on a document that three or more people were involved with - we used MS Word's document versioning systems on an attached file in a shared note.  Evernote has converged a lot in recent years,  though there's still a ways to go - OS developers keep on moving the goalposts with new versions of their own...

Please add the ability to change default font size on iOS.

Evernote has an amazing ecosystem built around excellent desktop clients, a great web interface, and reliable synchronization. However, things really fall apart when trying to work with notes on an iOS device. In many cases, especially on an iPad Mini, the default font is just too small for practical use. The iOS platform represents a significant number of mobile users. Why hasn't such an important feature been implemented?

Looking through the forums, I can see that this very same request has been raised repeatedly for years without being addressed appropriately by the Evernote team. Respectfully, font legibility is such a core feature and is so essential for the use of the application that it should be given development priority over other less critical features.

• Like 1
I totally agree with BrianST. It is really incomprehensible that Evernote has not addressed this so important issue. Changing font size is a totally crucial feature in a note writing program. 

I just started using an iPad and upgraded my Evernote account to Premium and was very disappointed to find out that the iPad version does not have the desktop version capacity of changing font size.    

Repeating BrianST’s so important request:

PLEASE, ADD THE ABILTY TO CHANGE DEFAULT SIZE FONT ON IOS

Stella is support was emailing with me about this and told me to note here to "up vote" this issue, so here goes. 

It's really critical for users to be able to use the fonts we'd like on our iPhones -- I've been a Premium customer since 2010 and this is getting so frustrating that I'm thinking of switching to something else (maybe even... One Note as much as I'm not a fan of Microsoft). Evernote Dev folks, please help with our ability to choose fonts. Thank you :)

@Ellen G Unless I’m missing something this request is not fully addressed in 8.0.  Yes, it does allow for changing font size and color, but not the font itself.  Ironically, even this comment area allows for changing the font, and the Windows desktop version allows for every font installed not the computer.  But you can’t even provide a few font options on IOS?  Font is a critical element to UI, especially in a note taking app so the absence of this basic feature is disappointing.     

One of Evernote's iOS App's BIGGEST FAILINGS is not allowing choice of a default font and size. YOUR PRODUCT AND USERS DESERVE BETTER so that the iOS app is consistent with minimal font features of other Evernote products and competitors. This only requires addition of TWO basic features: (1) Selection from a basic list of the usual standard fonts, and (2) selection of the desired font size. How can a text app NOT provide these basics?

Any text editor (including Evernote Windows and Web apps, and even the text box I'm using here) allows selection from a standard list of fonts and sizing using equivalent of points (8-72). CURRENT EVERNOTE iOS: No font choices and only 3 poorly implemented size buttons (small, medium, large... whatever these mean). I strongly suggest that you add these essentials as soon as possible. I see that users have left Evernote just because of this key failing. I'm confident Evernote can do this for iOS users.

• Like 6

Yayys. I couldn’t agree more. Reading on iOS screens Evernote is brutal. I usually have to export and import content out of and into Evernote because the visibility is difficult. I wish I was a developer at Evernote, such obvious issues go overseen. I find they overlook such obvious things and despite feedback focus their developments on other things like when Apple does an event they come out with new features tailored to he keynote yet dozens of request that are simple get ignore. I just don’t get it... 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

To indicate your support for this request, use the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.

In the meantime, I'm not letting the lack of these features impact the quality of my work.

• I use the Evernote editor for basic notes

• For serious work I have the choice of other editors; Apple-Pages comes installed on IOS devices.
    Evernote works well with iWork documents.

For many users, the small unchangeable default font on iOS isn't that big of an issue - this forum isn't exactly overwhelmed with complaints about it. But for some of us this is indeed a crucial issue. No matter if writing a "basic note", or something more complicated, having a font that is unpleasant to view because it is so small is a deal breaker. It has nothing to do with the type or complexity of a note, its a basic UI issue. If an app isn't pleasant to use, then I'm not going to use it.

YES ! I agree since they came out with 8.0. I mentioned it a bunch of times to developers, I just don't get it. They by default go to small font size and eliminated presentation mode making readability more difficult. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Guest Stephen
On 6/18/2018 at 12:47 PM, ObviousBob said:

For many users, the small unchangeable default font on iOS isn't that big of an issue - this forum isn't exactly overwhelmed with complaints about it. But for some of us this is indeed a crucial issue. No matter if writing a "basic note", or something more complicated, having a font that is unpleasant to view because it is so small is a deal breaker. It has nothing to do with the type or complexity of a note, its a basic UI issue. If an app isn't pleasant to use, then I'm not going to use it.

Guest Stephen
On 6/18/2018 at 12:47 PM, ObviousBob said:

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, zsvnc said:

When you write a note in the iOS application, the font characters in the windows application are freaking out.

When you write a note in Evernote by default there is no font specification.
The note is font agnostic; it adapts to the font of the device/platform.

There are methods to set specific fonts in note contents (it's more difficult on the IOS platform).
The font should display the same on all platforms.
You would only run into problems (freaking out) if the font is not properly supported on other platforms.  

Some users like me want to be able to use the same fonts in all their notes. When I write a note from the phone, it looks different in the windows application. What is your problem? You're not helping. Go and do the evernote fan elsewhere.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, zsvnc said:

What is your problem? 

I have no problem.  I was attempting to help a user (you) with an issue, "the font characters in the windows application are freaking out"

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, zsvnc said:

I've told you this problem before. When you write a note in the iOS application, the font characters in the windows application are freaking out. Onenote has developed a perfect and simple solution for this. You can also select the default font and size in the mobile app (same as PC app). In this way, you do not experience any font mismatch in your notes in windows and ios. You can add this setting to the main settings section. I'm sending you a example in the attachment.

onenote-photo9.jpg

Good idea.  For me, doesn't have to be the exact same font family but font size for sure.  Mapping small to 10pt or the like would be fine.  Too often tables on IOS don't display the same as they do on the PC, word wrapping being the issue.  Need to maintain perspective.  Up voted. 

On 9/15/2015 at 7:48 PM, raindog said:

Is there any hope of getting the ability to change font/test sizes/colors on iOS?

There were people in 2012 pointing out that this feature was lacking and here we are in 2015 and we still don't have it.

This is a pretty core need and it really surprises me that EN does not support it, given that it is supported on web and desktop.

On 5/15/2018 at 6:33 AM, makins said:

One of Evernote's iOS App's BIGGEST FAILINGS is not allowing choice of a default font and size. YOUR PRODUCT AND USERS DESERVE BETTER so that the iOS app is consistent with minimal font features of other Evernote products and competitors. This only requires addition of TWO basic features: (1) Selection from a basic list of the usual standard fonts, and (2) selection of the desired font size. How can a text app NOT provide these basics?

Any text editor (including Evernote Windows and Web apps, and even the text box I'm using here) allows selection from a standard list of fonts and sizing using equivalent of points (8-72). CURRENT EVERNOTE iOS: No font choices and only 3 poorly implemented size buttons (small, medium, large... whatever these mean). I strongly suggest that you add these essentials as soon as possible. I see that users have left Evernote just because of this key failing. I'm confident Evernote can do this for iOS users.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, ObviousBob said:

Why in the world would someone post this?

Could have been in response to the all caps post, a lot of drama for 33 up votes.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:25 AM, Yiya_man said:

WE STILL WANT IT!  IN 2019 TOO!

• Level 5*

Good to see the votes here are going up (now 43). 

Just for the record,  my earlier comment was more along the lines of a response to the 'request' to get this done in 2019,  and the likelihood that Evernote will have a few other higher priorities than this particular issue - unless they're also getting flack from other channels on the subject. 

Although I'm not an iOS user,  I do have dozens of major and minor niggles about how Evernote works on the platforms I do use,  that I'm (still) waiting for the company to fix.  I'm aware though that they have a huge range of platforms and OS's to address (and a lot of active users).  Almost any change is going to take time.

Yikes.  I can’t believe there’s not a way to change the font size.

From what I understand, we were able to land on the moon in the 1960s, but we can’t change font size in 2020.

I bet some programmer could fix this within days.  Have mercy upon us!!

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, jupebox said:

Yikes.  I can’t believe there’s not a way to change the font size.

Still not much interest (49) votes for fonts in notes. I think it's more a concern in word  processing

IOS has a small/medium/large selection; also colours

C7D09B0E-2781-4BC6-8308-E0944ACAFD31.thumb.jpeg.a272c31723ff6eb511dbc81eb0c8d056.jpeg

14 hours ago, DTLow said:

Still not much interest (49) votes for fonts in notes. I think it's more a concern in word  processing

IOS has a small/medium/large selection; also colours

C7D09B0E-2781-4BC6-8308-E0944ACAFD31.thumb.jpeg.a272c31723ff6eb511dbc81eb0c8d056.jpeg

Not many votes in this forum.. but this forum is tiny compared to the number of active Evernote users, so I'm not so sure you can conclude much about the popularity of a larger font option from this.

The problem with Small/Medium/Large is that if you prefer Medium, you have to change the setting for every single note. There is no way to make Medium or Large the default. Plus, if you change the font size of a note, and edit the note on both iOS and MacOS, you will invariably end up with a mix of font sizes in your note.

Hopefully the "new" editor will fix the font consistency issue. The web beta does allow you  to set the font size, so this should appear on iOS. Setting a default font size is not in the current web beta, hopefully it will find its way there eventually.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:47 AM, ObviousBob said:

I'm going to try hard to not turn this into a personal attack, but..

Why in the world would someone post this? This is a forum for requesting features. Someone requested a feature, and you feel you need to post something discouraging about their request? What does this mean - its a poor idea, because there haven't been many requests? You don't agree with the need, even though you apparently don't use iOS?

If you really think there are 225M currently active users, ALL requests in this forum are going to be from a very tiny percentage of users. If someone makes a feature request you don't agree with, or you think will never be implemented, why comment at all? Seems to me any feature requests should be welcomed.

And yes, I agree completely with this request - the tiny default font on iOS is a pain.

This is how the Evernote Fans react, you can not criticize anything about their beloved notes app. They just take whatever Evernote gives them and question nothing, you know, they just obey their masters. It’s like a cult.

I’ve asked about this issue before, and they always attack you. More than 2 years later, Evernote still has no way of setting a defaulat font size, worse, when you manually set a font size for a note it is not consistent throughout the note! Even when you just set it! Example going to a different paragraph on the same note or typing after a pictures added. It changes back! Unbelievable! 

Ohh but don’t dare you mention it, the Evernote die-hard fans will come get you!!! LOL 

Oh and for the people who mention Templates as a solution… nope: 

1. It involves the extra steps of 1-having to enter the templates section 2- selecting the template 3- select apply template. Every time you want to make a note! No thanks. 

2. Even if you want to do it like that, It doesn’t even work!! After you apply the Template with your desired font size, it is still not consistent through the note! You have the exact same problem!! (If you go to different paragraph, type after a picture or file, a table etc, it changes font size) 

So applying a template IS the same as opening a note and chosing a font size manually: it is not applied to the whole note!! 

Yeah but don’t mention anything, the Evernote die-hard fans will get angry, hushhhh…  

• Level 5*

This topic started in 2012 and got revived in 2015 through to 2020.. and then suddenly it's desperately urgent again in 2021. With 57 votes in support.

As we sit here,  it's one year into the complete redevelopment of Evernote's code base,  in response (at least partly) to user calls for the UI to look exactly the same on every device.  Whilst Evernote delivered on that,  they had to do so with limited fonts that are legal to use in Android, iOS, MacOS and Windows.  I've no idea whether or when they plan on expanding that - but until they do,  what you see is ALL you get. 

Evernote have lots of priorities,  and may be looking into this - but they don't usually share updates.

The font choice may be insufficient for your needs,  and in that event you have a choice of work-arounds (of which there are several) or finding a different note taking app. 

That's not blind acceptance of the status quo - just a dose of practical reality.  

• Level 5

@Josue Alexander OK now, how do I say it ? You seem to have a problem with being criticized, so … no other way, what is wrong stays wrong:

1) You can globally change the size of a part of what EN shows. Just go to iOS settings, display & brightness and select a larger text size. It will enlarge the text for example in the side panel, in the search screen, in notebooks and tag view etc.

I have it on the smallish side of medium in general, which is fine for me, but if you don’t like it that way, change it. It changes the size in general, for all apps that react to that setting - but if you find EN small, you should find others small as well. Because there is no difference, EN shows text in a similar size to others.

2) This setting will not influence the size of text inside of notes.

For newly created notes you can in fact create a template. And you are wrong to tell it would not work, about after an inserted picture the font would return to small again. You have to do it right, but - sorry for that - you are criticizing, not asking how it can be done, so here flies your boomerang: When creating the note that will be converted into a template, you have to enlarge the font. And then - this is important - you need to go to the text Styles, open the standard style and select „redefine style based on selection“. This will then grab the larger font and make it the standard for all paragraphs in this note - and for all notes created from that template.

You are invited to prove me wrong, but forget about your Blabla about die-hard fans. Polemic does not make up for wrong facts.

• Level 5

See what I mean.

Not „my“ app, I am just another user.

You could at least have the courtesy to test and confirm the facts. Or show what you mean works differently. Because this is what counts for other users coming here looking for solutions.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Coach Dale said:

This is still urgently needed in 2023!!!!!!

That's as may be, but please don't post the same content twice.  I deleted your other post.  Please add votes above,  top left of the page.