Set reminders on notes created by someone else shared via Work Chat

DavidHunter

Idea

I got my mum set up with an Evernote account the other day. She has created a shopping list note for me to buy stuff when I'm coming home from uni.

She shared the note with me via Work Chat. 

I need to set a reminder on the note so I remember to go shopping when I finish uni, but Evernote doesn't allow me to, because it's a shared note. (I have full edit permissions on the shared note).

Also, it'd be handy if the shared note actually appeared in my list of all notes, rather than having to find it in the Work Chat system. (This is implemented in the iOS version, but not in the Mac version).

Thanks in advance.

6 replies to this idea

Sharing a note via the workchat is not the best way to do it, mainly because you need keep going back to the workchat in order to open. To complicate things, there is no search in the workchat. You will spend hours browsing in there until you find the correct note.

Tell your mom to create a notebook "shopping_David" and share the entire notebook with you. Then you just need to go to the workchat and double-click on the notebook. After that, the notebook will appear in your notebook list. On Windows systems I think it appears in red to differentiate from other regular notebooks.

Tell her to make sure to give you Edit permissions on the notebook.

You should be able to set a reminder this way.

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for that suggestion. I tried it and it certainly works better than what I was doing. Unfortunately, though, the reminder that I set on the note has also applied to my mother's account, so she gets a reminder as well.

Is it possible to make it so that the reminder only applies to my account? Or would I have to just create a copy of the note and set the reminder on that? (the downside of doing that, though, would be any changes Mum makes to the shared note of course won't be applied to the copy I create to set a reminder...).

Thanks for your suggestion - it has certainly helped. :) 

Dave

Thanks, Eduardo. I followed those steps on my phone (the instructions are only for the desktop versions, so I wanted to try it out on the iOS app). I figured out how to do it on my phone.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work on Mum's phone. The list of notebooks simply doesn't even appear on her phone, despite the shared notebook appearing on my own phone. 

I also tried to do this on her iPad and via the web browser. In all cases, the shared notebook wasn't listed in her account.

The notebooks will only show if there is an active reminder on a note inside the notebook.

To make sure you are using the same note/notebook, try editing the note and make sure you see it on your phone.

If you have access to a computer, try logging in the web at http://www.evernote.com/Home.action and do the procedure from there. It will have the same impact as doing in on the iPhone.

Make sure she is using the latest version of the application on the iPhone. 

Thanks. There is definitely a reminder set on the note and we're definitely seeing the same note and notebook.

Tried via the web browser as you suggested but the notebook still doesn't appear in the list.

All devices on the latest versions...

Archived