Evernote 7.1 crashing on my computer

Hello everyone, 

I installed the latest upgrade to EN this morning, and all of a sudden, the application is crashing! I'm receiving an error message saying the 'file is damaged and can't be opened and I need to move it to the trash'. After doing this, I've found and reinstalled version 6.6, which is working. However, I've imported all of my notes and now lost ALL of my notebook syncs. (The note are all in a folder called Imported Notes). I've checked EN Web, and all seems to be fine there, which is a relief!

So I have two questions!

1. How do I get the latest version of EN to work on my Macbook Pro.

2. How do I get the notes to be re-synced to their rightful Notebooks? 

I'm running Mac OS 10.11.2.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Regards,

Andrew Harrison

I'm running OSX 10.13.4 on a brand new MacBook Pro.  I migrated all my data and apps using Time Machine, and everything works perfectly except Evernote 7.1. 

After 25 years on PCs, I'm still amazed at how smoothly migrations work on a Mac, so it wasn't a big deal to me to have to reinstall the stragglers that didn't work.

So, I uninstalled, rebooted, and tried to reinstall several times.  Each time I try to start Evernote, it crashes and asks me to add more info before the info is sent to Apple, blah, blah.

I see various suggestions about using third-party apps to "completely" uninstall Evernote, and am willing to do that, but I've had horrible experiences with app cleaners on the PC, so I'm hesitant to go that when it really shouldn't be that hard to get a major application running on a major OS.

All thoughts appreciated!

Scott

• Level 5*
On 5/11/2018 at 2:03 AM, ScottHarvey said:

it really shouldn't be that hard to get a major application running on a major OS

It isn't usually hard,  but every so often updates crash and burn.  Mac users (which I'm not) seem to recommend Appcleaner as the app of choice for this.  'Migrating' Evernote via Time Machine may have been part of your problem - all your data (unless you use Local Notebooks) is kept on the cloud server so just installing the app and logging into your account will get your data downloaded into the right location on a new device.  Pre-installing the existing data may have compromised the setup somehow,  hence the crashes.

Evernote 7.1 sucks.

I suggest that you delete the app, then delete library created for which you can easily find a way from Google. Install an old version such as Evernote 7.0, then you will be happy again.

BTW, don't waste time hoping that they could fix those problems soon as what I did a month ago.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, apolo_du said:

I suggest that you delete the app, then delete library created for which you can easily find a way from Google.

Downgrading version's is easy on a Mac.

The recommend approach is a clean install; remove the app, database, other components.
The app AppCleaner is recommended for this, but it can be done manually.
Install the Evernote app, login, and the database will be rebuilt from the servers
Warning: The rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes.

I'm currently using v7.1 with no issues.  I suggest you try the clean install with this version.

Thank you all for the suggestions, and I'll probably go the AppCleaner route if nicolml can't help figure out what's going on.

By the way, it does make sense to me that doing the Time Machine migration could have screwed it up ... it just seems like it should be easier to do a clean reinstall.

nicolml - you're talking about the Apple crash logs I assume?  Since I can't run Evernote, I can't generate the activity log (or whatever it's called), and haven't seen anything about a location for Evernote logs...  I'll send you the Apple crash logs, hopefully that's what you need.

Thanks,

Scott

I took this offline with the Evernote employee above until I could add value back to the thread.

I followed the steps that he gave me below, and the new version of Evernote is working perfectly.  I guess I shouldn't have been so hesitant to install AppCleaner, but lots of horror stories I've heard over the years about malware/spyware/etc for "cleaners" had me worried (although I suppose most of those were back when I was still on my PC.)

1. If Evernote is running, press **Command + Q** to quit the Evernote application
2. Download App Cleaner from http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/. Once downloaded, proceed to open App Cleaner. 
3. Open the Applications folder and drag Evernote to the App Cleaner window.
5. In App Cleaner, select delete after it brings up all Evernote related files.
4. Right-click (or **Ctrl + Click**) on the Trash and select **Empty Trash**
6. Reboot your computer
7. Download and install Evernote for Mac from www.evernote.com/download
8. Drag the Evernote icon into your Applications folder
9. Open Evernote and login to your Evernote account. 

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions, I appreciate it.

Scott

P.S.  Something that occurred to me after the fact, and I have no idea if it was an issue or not.  I was a free user of Evernote, and had my old Mac and my phone synced with Evernote.  Since this new Mac pushed me over the free limit, maybe it was crashing because it couldn't get me to the "unsync a device or upgrade" screen?  No idea if that's the case, again, just a thought.  In hindsight, I could have unsynced from the old machine to see if this was an issue...

By the way, Evernote, your support employee was fantastic.  He's the main reason I purchased a Premium plan - thought about doing it for a long time, but never had a burning reason to do so.  Buy that man a pizza or something... ?

On 5/21/2018 at 5:22 PM, ScottHarvey said:

By the way, Evernote, your support employee was fantastic.  He's the main reason I purchased a Premium plan - thought about doing it for a long time, but never had a burning reason to do so.  Buy that man a pizza or something... ?

Thank you for the feedback.

Archived