Focus lost when editing a note

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anybody else has noticed this annoying little issue with recent Windows EN clients;

1. Click into a previously edited text note.
  2. A few seconds later focus is lost from that window, rendering any selection invalid.

I have found myself frequently unable copy and paste text from notes recently. I select the text I want, hit Ctrl+C, go to my destination window and hit Shift+Ins. Nothing happens, there's nothing in my paste buffer.

It's really annoying - can it please be fixed?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2018 at 8:05 AM, delawaredave said:

I see same thing (I think).  When I click from another app into EN Windows program - the first click "doesn't register" - I click, start typing, doesn't take.

Have to click again. 

Very annoyhing.

YES!!  The same thing is happening to me and it's incredibly frustrating.  Each time I switch away to a different program, when I come back to Evernote, I have to click twice before I can edit or add to that note.  This makes taking notes for a meeting incredibly difficult and I've often started typing only to have nothing appear.

Please, please, please can someone from Evernote look into this.  It is making this software unusable for me. 

I'm on Windows 7 Pro SP1, Lenovo Thinkpad X1.  Thank you!

I agree with these comments.

I'm currently using Windows 6.13.1.7192 Beta (in an attempt to see if its fixed).

I'm constantly losing focus and losing text selections, which means that many copy-and-paste actions regularly fail.

One set of steps to reproduce the lost copy selections is as follows:

1. click on a different note to the current note
  2. select text
  3. Press the Control KEY (as part of trying to perform a CTRL-C).
  4. The selection is lost.

5. select text again.
  6. now CTRL-C works

I've been using Evernote since 2011, and these focus issues are a real problem.  It's an annoyance that occurs every 10-15 minutes.

Having to copypaste twice, or thinking you've copied, and then paste the wrong details.  This has happened to me 1000+ times, on multiple accounts, on multiple machines this year.

Honestly, this is enough to stop me renewing my premium.

I'm experiencing the focus issue also. Version 6.11.2.

It's annoying enough that I'm backing up, uninstalling, and re-installing an older version. It's really un-usable. 

An added bonus is that I'll also be rid of the excessive margin issue and the copy/paste issue. 

On 5/22/2018 at 5:22 PM, jshanker said:

there's a thread on this same topic that's been going on for months here:

Yes I did see that, but my issues are on Windows 7 and 8.1. I will be keeping tabs on that other thread though.

I've just moved to Version 6.13 Beta 2. (May 31, 2018).  So far, so good.

Early testing suggests that the focus problem may be fixed now ?.

I can now copy-and-paste without clicking multiple times.?

Thanks guys.

Edit

After testing 6.13 Beta 2 for a while... it is better, but still issues with focus remain.

For example click "New Note" and start typing. The cursor is in the new note, but it's not focused, so your typing is lost. Typing something twice is disheartening.

These focus issues are a continual source of frustration, responsible for a reduction in productivity. It is almost like the developers of the Windows Desktop program don't use a Windows Desktop.

Edit 2

Ahh, just found the issue related to the problem of "click New Note and start typing, typing goes no where".
This occurs if you have never set the option: NOTE - SET NEW NOTE FOCUS ON TITLE.

If you turn the option on, then turn it off again. Focus works correctly when clicking New Note.

I just found out how to "fix" the problem on my Evernote (6.11.2.7027 (307027) Public (CE Build ce-43.0.4829)). So i experience the same problem as the users above have described while tabbing back and forth between VLC and a note... losing focus became super annoying... so I "decided" to try hiding the "Note List" by pressing F11 and now everything works fine. I discovered it, sort of, by accident. Hope this can help people that don't want to or cannot update to the beta.

Good luck

Edit 1: Just found that my solution doesn't always work. So I experimented. In the "Note List" make sure you have no search words or tags selected before hiding it. The note list should just view the notes in your selected notebook. If this doesn't work open the note in a new window and close the main window. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 9:10 PM, MikeGT said:

Yes I did see that, but my issues are on Windows 7 and 8.1

Even though the other thread is titled "Win10 forgetful focus" this is only because the O/P is using Win10. But other users in the thread have reported the same issue also affects Win7 and Win8. It's all related to having a search term in the search box. Manually clear the search box after each search, and the issue disappears.

6 hours ago, Ralph77 said:

Even though the other thread is titled "Win10 forgetful focus" this is only because the O/P is using Win10. But other users in the thread have reported the same issue also affects Win7 and Win8. It's all related to having a search term in the search box. Manually clear the search box after each search, and the issue disappears.

The search box is one case. My cases, and many others, don't involve the search box at all. 

7 hours ago, Lynngineer said:

The search box is one case. My cases, and many others, don't involve the search box at all. 

So far, I can see no-one has posted steps to reproduce, stating explicitly that there is no search term present in the Search box at the time. If this is a different issue from the issue in the 'Forgetful Focus' thread, and you are sure that there is no search term leftover in the Search box from a recent search, kindly post steps to reproduce so that I and others can test? Thanks.

EDIT: For clarity, by 'Search box' I do not mean Ctrl+F (Find text in note); I mean F6 (Search notes).
So if this is indeed a different issue, in order to definitely distinguish this issue from the issue in the 'Forgetful Focus' thread, steps to reproduce should start with:

1) Press F6 to ensure there is no search term in the Search box
2) your steps to reproduce the issue...

On 6/22/2018 at 12:18 PM, Ralph77 said:

I really wish this were the case.

There any many issues I'm having, but the main one is the selected text being deselected when I press the ctrl key for a copy/paste.  This is something I do 50+ times per day so it's driving me crazy, crazy enough to consider moving everything to Onenote, even though that would be a lot of work.

3 minutes ago, MikeGT said:

There any many issues I'm having, but the main one is the selected text being deselected when I press the ctrl key for a copy/paste. 

It's all the same issue though.
As a workaround, just make sure that there is no search term in the 'Search notes' box, before the first time you press the Ctrl key.
Do this simply by pressing F6, then select your text.

I dunno if it's just me, or if there's some bug in the forum, but some of the posts on this page are appearing out of order, which makes for very confusing reading because some replies appear way before the post that they are replying to! Grrr.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Ralph77 said:

I dunno if it's just me, or if there's some bug in the forum, but some of the posts on this page are appearing out of order, which makes for very confusing reading because some replies appear way before the post that they are replying to! Grrr.

It's the voting thing to the left of each post.  You can reset to date order at the top of the thread.  Unfortunately no setting to make that the default sort, not that I have found anyway.

ScreenClip.png.a3a8f82555f6de91006c8a621ccaa44a.png

12 minutes ago, CalS said:

It's the voting thing to the left of each post.  You can reset to date order at the top of the thread.  Unfortunately no setting to make that the default sort, not that I have found anyway.

Ohhh! Thank you ?  That is an odd feature... also odd that I hadn't noticed it till now ? 

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Ralph77 said:

Ohhh! Thank you ?  That is an odd feature... also odd that I hadn't noticed it till now ? 

You are welcome.
  • 1 month later...

Just adding I see the exact problem, Windows 10, evernote, has been doing it for months and months and honestly I am just about over it.  It hasn't happened in any other Windows program I've ever used, this should be simple to get right.  It is incredibly frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

This is extremely annoying.

Every time you switch apps by f ex alt-tabbing in Windows, the cursor position gets lost. You cannot continue typing without using the mouse and clicking into the note position where you were.

2 minutes ago, Mats said:

Every time you switch apps by f ex alt-tabbing in Windows, the cursor position gets lost. You cannot continue typing without using the mouse and clicking into the note position where you were.

This issue has been corrected as of v6.14.5.7671. Are you sure you're using the latest version?

• 5 weeks later...
Em 01/05/2018 at 21:12, AndysDisplayName disse:

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anybody else has noticed this annoying little issue with recent Windows EN clients;

1. Click into a previously edited text note.
  2. A few seconds later focus is lost from that window, rendering any selection invalid.

I have found myself frequently unable copy and paste text from notes recently. I select the text I want, hit Ctrl+C, go to my destination window and hit Shift+Ins. Nothing happens, there's nothing in my paste buffer.

It's really annoying - can it please be fixed?

I have this annoying problem every time!! 6.11.2.7027 (307027) Public (CE Build ce-43.0.4829)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jmorais said:

I have this annoying problem every time!! 6.11.2.7027 (307027) Public (CE Build ce-43.0.4829)

Try upgrading to the 6.15 Public release.  This should solve your problem.

Archived