SilveysMetro

Exporting Evernote Data to an Excel File

I use Evernote for business. On average, I receive 170 calls a month and each call sheet has Customer, date, details, product, and charges on it. I have been manually putting these into excel and it can take a lot of time to do so. I was hoping I could simply export the monthly notebook into excel and organize my sheets from within Excel using some formulas. Does anyone know of a solution or maybe another cross-platform product better for my business needs?

I use an applescript on my Mac to export Evernote notes to a spreadsheet.

I can also mass copy note links (titles) and paste into a spreadsheet.

>>call sheet has Customer, date, details, product, and charges on it.

I'm guessing these are columns in a spreadsheet.

How is the data stored in Evernote?

6 hours ago, SilveysMetro said:

each call sheet has Customer, date, details, product, and charges on it. I have been manually putting these into excel and it can take a lot of time to do so

Have a look at Airtable - you could create a table for customers,  a table for products and charges,  and a table for calls,  then link the call table back to the others so you never have to type a customer name pr product details again...  It's a spreadsheet crossed with a relational database.

On 5/1/2018 at 12:35 PM, SilveysMetro said:

I use Evernote for business. On average, I receive 170 calls a month and each call sheet has Customer, date, details, product, and charges on it. I have been manually putting these into excel and it can take a lot of time to do so. I was hoping I could simply export the monthly notebook into excel and organize my sheets from within Excel using some formulas. Does anyone know of a solution or maybe another cross-platform product better for my business needs?

Just out of curiosity...it looks like having the Excel spreadsheet data is the goal here and it provides the most value with the formulas, sorting etc. So my question is, why start the data in Evernote first? I mean, if I was doing it, I would capture them in Excel and if it needs to be shared or for any other reason, then I would keep the Excel file in Evernote and update/modify that file.

2 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

if I was doing it, I would capture them in Excel and if it needs to be shared or for any other reason, then I would keep the Excel file in Evernote and update/modify that file.

I actually store all my documents (Excel/Word/...) in Evernote.  Its easier having one filing location.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

I actually store all my documents (Excel/Word/...) in Evernote.  Its easier having one filing location.

I agree. I keep some on a server or a cloud location depending on the size or if others are using it as well. 

I did get a little concerned and scared, when some of my files disappeared from Evernote however (due to latest updates). Like an Excel file would show an icon there and I couldn't open it. But "SAVE ATTACHMENTS" option worked in those cases luckily.

20 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

I keep some on a server or a cloud location depending on the size or if others are using it as well. 

Right; I should have included that.  If I can't store the document file in Evernote, I at least include a link.

2 hours ago, TK0047 said:

I agree. I keep some on a server or a cloud location depending on the size or if others are using it as well.

Any Excel files using pivot tables are better served in cloud storage accessed in EN via a link to the local file, IMO.  Not always, but at times based upon how the attachments folder is managed by EN the Excel file will get corrupted relative to external resources (has to do with (1) added to the file name).  Fixable, but a PITA, so I moved all my pivot table containing spreadsheets to DropBox.  Side benefit, better recovery since DB maintains a version for every use.