Escape key from within note doesn't go back to note list

Pressing the escape key when editing a note used to move focus back to the note list. It doesn't any more. I'm not sure when this started, but I'm currently on Evernote for Windows version 6.11.2.7027 (307027) Public (CE Build ce-43.0.4829).

Anyone else seeing this, or is it something weird on my system?

In the meantime, anyone got a good workaround for using the keyboard for deleting a note while editing the note?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Rob Freundlich said:

Pressing the escape key when editing a note used to move focus back to the note list. It doesn't any more. I'm not sure when this started, but I'm currently on Evernote for Windows version 6.11.2.7027 (307027) Public (CE Build ce-43.0.4829).

In the meantime, anyone got a good workaround for using the keyboard for deleting a note while editing the note?

Don't know if it is short or not, but F2 - back tab will take you from the note to the note list.  Can't comment on escape key, never did it that way.

• Level 5*

I also use F2 (takes you back to note title), then Shift+Tab (takes you to note list). 

A one-key option to take you from the note pane to the note list would be useful. Did Esc ever perform this function? I vaguely recall I used something other than F2, Shift-Tab, but it's been a long time.

1 hour ago, tavor said:

I also use F2 (takes you back to note title), then Shift+Tab (takes you to note list). 

A one-key option to take you from the note pane to the note list would be useful. Did Esc ever perform this function? I vaguely recall I used something other than F2, Shift-Tab, but it's been a long time.

I am on V6.7 and ESC takes me to the note list and stops editing the note. Then I can hit DELETE and note is deleted.

Not sure if this convenience got removed after 6.7 though.

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

I am on V6.7 and ESC takes me to the note list and stops editing the note. Then I can hit DELETE and note is deleted.

Not sure if this convenience got removed after 6.7 though.

I'm on 6.11 and ESC does not move focus from note pane to note list. So I guess this feature was intentionally or inadvertently removed at some point after 6.7.

2 hours ago, tavor said:

I'm on 6.11 and ESC does not move focus from note pane to note list. So I guess this feature was intentionally or inadvertently removed at some point after 6.7.

Hmmm....Another reason for me to stay where I am. :) 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, tavor said:

Another hidden change, wonder what precipitated this one?   Rhetorical question.  :(

• Level 5
21 hours ago, Rob Freundlich said:

My workaround was a bit drastic. 

I downgraded back to version 6.5.4 Windows. It acts like it is on steroids compared to the current buggy versions.

• From the note body, ESC takes me to the Note List
  • From the note body, F2 takes me to the note title.
  • From the note title, Shift + Tab takes me to the note list
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

My workaround was a bit drastic. 

I downgraded back to version 6.5.4 Windows. It acts like it is on steroids compared to the current buggy versions.

• From the note body, ESC takes me to the Note List
  • From the note body, F2 takes me to the note title.
  • From the note title, Shift + Tab takes me to the note list

The only thing holding me back from downgrading to 6.5 GA is that there were some tables improvements in 6.6 GA (unfortunately this release came with some breaks in existing features as has every subsequent release).

Does anyone happen to know what the specific changes to tables were in 6.6 GA? I've been using the tables feature quite a bit and wouldn't want to lose significant parts of that functionality.

• Level 5*

I found some of the tables improvements in 6.6 via a 6.6 beta thread:

• Quickly add rows and columns – via the plus button
  • Easily select cells – by clicking-and-dragging, or by clicking the column/row headers
  • Efficiently drag and drop rows & columns – by clicking on the row/column headers, and then dragging and dropping the row/column elsewhere
  • Better copy/paste – copy multiple cells, then place your cursor anywhere in the table to paste into multiple cells
  • New fixed width columns – so that as you increase/decrease one column’s width, it does not affect the next column’s width
  • New horizontally scrollable tables – so that you won’t need to expand your window wide to view a table that has many columns
  • Access advanced table functions – via the new menu which provides options such as
    • Resizing the table width to match the current window size
    • Distributing selected columns evenly
    • Adjusting alignment of content in cells
    • Changing cell background color
  • Additional info: The new tables do not support "table-in-table" or "merged cell" functionality. If you paste incompatible tables into a note, then the tables in the note will not have the updated table features or controls (including resizing). In a future update, we plan to support pasted-in tables that have merged cells.

Would hate to give this up to go to 6.5.

After this thread, I started paying attention to my keystrokes and I am using the escape key A LOT especially when I am in a no-mouse mode processing a lot of notes.

I hope this comes back with V7.0.

• Level 5

Even though I don't use tables often, I upgraded from 6.5 to the newest version of 6.6 which was released 8 months ago. (6.6.4.5512)

I verified that ESC, Tab, and F2 still allow me to quickly navigate between the Note List, note title, and note body without the mouse.

There is a minor problem with the tables. I cannot see the border around each cell - see my phone template attachment for comparison. The cells are created with a faint green line. Is there a way to create a table with nice solid black lines?

Phone template.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jbenson2 said:

The cells are created with a faint green line. Is there a way to create a table with nice solid black lines?

Not in the Windows client, as far as I know. You can change the cell colors, but not the border colors. 

It may be possible to muck with the markup in an ENEX file to get what you want, but it didn't seem to work when I tried it (I didn't try too hard), and that wouldn't be particularly convenient anyways, unless you're making a note template.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jbenson2 said:

There is a minor problem with the tables. I cannot see the border around each cell - see my phone template attachment for comparison. The cells are created with a faint green line. Is there a way to create a table with nice solid black lines?

Changing the border value makes no difference, it is ignored by EN so you can't change the width of the line.  You can however change the color to black.  Assuming the same defaults in your template.

1. Save the template as an ENEX to the desktop
  2. Open with Notepad
  3. Click in the window and hit Ctrl+H
  4. Replace 204, 204, 204 with 0, 0, 0
  5. Save
  6. Import back to EN (leave on the desktop if you want to double click to create a note)

Borders should look like this.

ScreenClip.png.f2837577e699a75ef2186feb2ed1e8b0.png

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

Even though I don't use tables often, I upgraded from 6.5 to the newest version of 6.6 which was released 8 months ago. (6.6.4.5512)

I hope you don't need Paste and Match Style - this feature developed a bug infestation with 6.6 GA.

• 4 months later...

Because this feature is important to me and I made the mistake of accepting the latest update today and lost it, I went back through previous versions as listed in File Hippo until I found that the Esc key works correctly (IMO) in version 6.10.3.6921. Guess I'll stick with that until I have verified a fix in a newer version.

Archived