Shane D.

Upcoming changes to Android OS requirements

Hi all,

I wanted to provide a update regarding changes to the minimum Android OS requirements for the upcoming Evernote 8.0 for Android release.

When Evernote 8.0 for Android is released, users on Android version 4.x (KitKat) and lower, will no longer be able to upgrade to new versions of Evernote.

As a workaround, users can upgrade their version of Android on their device to Lollipop or higher. 

Why are we stopping support of Android OS 4.x?

The more versions of Android we support, the more difficult it is to make product changes. 

What’s the user experience for users on 4.x versions when there is a new app release?

Users will not see updates in the store. For example, if a 4.x user is on an Evernote version lower than 8.0, they will only ever see that 8.0 version in the Play Store.

Hopefully, this helps provide some clarification for these changes!
  • Thanks 1

Hi Shane.  I'm not a fan of Android's cute names for versions.  For the sake of clarity (and what's left of my sanity) can you confirm the version number(s) for KitKat and Lollipop,  and the lowest Android version you will then support?  Was there such a thing as Android 5?  Will the Play store show that Evernote requires v5.x (or whatever) and above?

• Thanks 1

Handy guide from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history):

Code name Version number Initial release date API level Security patches[1]
(No codename)[2] 1.0 September 23, 2008 1 Unsupported
(Internally known as "Petit Four")[2] 1.1 February 9, 2009 2 Unsupported
Cupcake 1.5 April 27, 2009 3 Unsupported
Donut[3] 1.6 September 15, 2009 4 Unsupported
Eclair[4] 2.0 – 2.1 October 26, 2009 5 – 7 Unsupported
Froyo[5] 2.2 – 2.2.3 May 20, 2010 8 Unsupported
Gingerbread[6] 2.3 – 2.3.7 December 6, 2010 9 – 10 Unsupported
Honeycomb[7] 3.0 – 3.2.6 February 22, 2011 11 – 13 Unsupported
Ice Cream Sandwich[8] 4.0 – 4.0.4 October 18, 2011 14 – 15 Unsupported
Jelly Bean[9] 4.1 – 4.3.1 July 9, 2012 16 – 18 Unsupported
KitKat[10] 4.4 – 4.4.4 October 31, 2013 19 – 20 Unsupported[11]
Lollipop[12] 5.0 – 5.1.1 November 12, 2014 21 – 22 Unsupported[13]
Marshmallow[14] 6.0 – 6.0.1 October 5, 2015 23 Supported
Nougat[15] 7.0 – 7.1.2 August 22, 2016 24 – 25 Supported
Oreo[16] 8.0 – 8.1 August 21, 2017 26 – 27 Supported
Android P 9     Developer preview; not y
  • Like 5

@jefito Thanks for posting the chart!

@gazumped Yes, with the release of Evernote 8.0 for Android, the lowest version of Android OS we will support is Lolipop/5.0.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks both - I now understand (everything except the naming policy!!) :)

Thanks, @Shane D. and all. Worth noting that, per the chart, versions of Android below 6/Marshmallow are also not getting security updates from Android itself, making them somewhat dangerous to use, especially if one keeps sensitive data on the phone or even (perhaps?) in Evernote.

@Shane D., is there a preview anywhere of v. 8 features yet?

• Like 1

@Dave-in-Decatur Yes, you should be able to access version 8.0 of Evernote via the current Evernote for Android Beta. To access the beta, you will need to enable it via the Play Store. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Thanks 1

A couple of follow-up questions, @Shane D.: does enabling the beta then entail installing it on my phone, or can I just see what the new features are? If I install it, does it coexist with the current v. 7.17.1 as an alternative way of accessing Evernote, or does it replace the current version?

9 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

does enabling the beta then entail installing it on my phone

Yes.

9 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

If I install it, does it coexist with the current v. 7.17.1 as an alternative way of accessing Evernote, or does it replace the current version?

No.

You're either in or out...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jefito said:
16 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

If I install it, does it coexist with the current v. 7.17.1 as an alternative way of accessing Evernote, or does it replace the current version?

No.

You're either in or out...

Sorry, Jeff, no to which? To the first, I presume (coexistence with the current version)? 

In which case, I'll let it go and wait for the public release. I haven't been doing beta testing on Evernote.

6 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Sorry, Jeff, no to which? To the first, I presume (coexistence with the current version)? 

That's correct: no coexistence with other versions.

I am on the beta program, and it seems fine to me, although I don't use Evernote on Android anywhere near as much as I do on the desktop, and it's almost always for viewing, not content creation.

• Thanks 1

I'm on the Android betas too,  using it for images and notes as well as look-ups.  They're normally fairly well glued together,  and if you want to step back there's only a quick sync / uninstall / reinstall involved after you leave the beta programme.  Sign up here if you'd like to...

• Thanks 1

Just disabling, disabling and disabling any auto update of Evernote in Google Play. And, I do suggest to do it for everybody, to avoid stress, frustration and so on.

4 hours ago, AndreasM said:

Just disabling, disabling and disabling any auto update of Evernote in Google Play. And, I do suggest to do it for everybody, to avoid stress, frustration and so on.

Actually, I've found that recent updates to the Android app (unlike the Windows program!!) have been improved, apart from the photo-searching idiocy. They've restored most of the Web-clipping/sharing functionality, for one thing, and it's once again possible to select and drag text within a note. FWIW and IMHO.

I cat't use on my Samsung Galaxy Ace 4 LTE (G357FZ Android 4.4.4), but use on Lenovo Tab (Android 4.4.2)