Evernote for Windows 6.12 Beta 2

Nick Nassiri

• Ex Employees

Hello Everyone,

Today we're announcing the availability of version 6.12 Beta 2. You can download it here or check for updates (make sure you've opted in to get Beta updates from Options.) 

We have a lot of work to do, and we're going to keep at it. In the meantime, feel free to check it out and give us your feedback!

Thanks,
Nick and the Windows Team at Evernote

-----------------

Release Notes for Windows version 6.12

Note: Versions 6.12 is supported in OS versions Windows 7 and up.

Improved:

- More easily manage and navigate your notebooks from the Notebooks View. You can access this by selecting 'Notebooks' from the left panel.

- Messaging to alert the user when they're approaching their notebook limit

Fixed:

- Drag & Drop of files and documents from Evernote to other apps

- Keyboard shortcut for renaming Notebook Stacks now consistently works

- Note statistics remain on screen when expected

- Misc. product bug fixes and improvements.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Nick Nassiri said:

Messaging to alert the user when they're approaching their notebook limit

Kudos to the team for adding some user-friendly information - hope other system limits like note size and upload allowance will come in for the same treatment.  Far better to get a pop-up than lose data!  (But please ensure the warnings have a 'don't show this again' option and an Options/ Preferences setting to get them back if necessary - users need a little nannying...:))

6 hours ago, Nick Nassiri said:

More easily manage and navigate your notebooks from the Notebooks View

Seriously?  It's still taking 20 seconds for this screen to load and longer for it to respond to clicks...  that's a very loose definition of "More easily" !

Generally:  Thanks for the efforts.  Keep working!!

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Nick Nassiri said:

Any chance we can get more detail on this? Lots of users are hanging back on some of the newer releases because of all the bugs created in recent months. Knowing that some of these have been fixed would give some of us enough confidence to take the leap to this release.

• Level 5*

Still have the nagging dialog to remind me every time I move a note to a notebook that has the people icon designating it is a shared notebook that I am moving to a shared notebook with no way to turn that off. 

And this new notebook view has to be the most useless thing I've ever seen.

1. No one was asking for a new way to view notebooks.
  2. It is unbearably slow.
  3. the dates have no years, so is May 24 for an update date May 24, 2017, May 24 2010, May 24 2008? Who knows. Because when you double-click on it, you get a blank new note!

How about delete this new notebook view, reduce the code you are trying to maintain, and fix existing bugs?

So frustrating.

Running this current beta and I have found a few problems worth nothing.

1. When you click on notebooks, the program hangs before the full list of Notebooks appears.  If I change the left panel to the dark theme, it is a little faster.  Still, the lag noticeable. 

2. Changing the font setting in the program is a challenge.  You can change the setting.  However, I had to restart the program, try other fonts before the select font was working. 

Overall, the program runs.  I suspect with some additional code corrections, the overall program could run much quicker.

Jerry

4 hours ago, EdH said:

Still have the nagging dialog to remind me every time I move a note to a notebook that has the people icon designating it is a shared notebook that I am moving to a shared notebook with no way to turn that off. 

And this new notebook view has to be the most useless thing I've ever seen.

1. No one was asking for a new way to view notebooks.
  2. It is unbearably slow.
  3. the dates have no years, so is May 24 for an update date May 24, 2017, May 24 2010, May 24 2008? Who knows. Because when you double-click on it, you get a blank new note!

How about delete this new notebook view, reduce the code you are trying to maintain, and fix existing bugs?

So frustrating.

Hi Ed - team has been looking at the data and we are seeing too many users see this dialog multiple times a session, so we'll be adding the check box to not show the message again. We'll target our next release for this. 

• Ex Employees
8 hours ago, gazumped said:

Kudos to the team for adding some user-friendly information - hope other system limits like note size and upload allowance will come in for the same treatment.  Far better to get a pop-up than lose data!  (But please ensure the warnings have a 'don't show this again' option and an Options/ Preferences setting to get them back if necessary - users need a little nannying...:))

We'll prompt you when the count reaches 200, 225, 240 and for notebooks #241-250. The first three prompts do not have a 'don't show this again' option. The last 9 do. 

• Level 5*

This is still losing data on note merges.

1. Set your sync settings to "Enable on demand sync."
  2. Set "purge note content" to whatever number of days you want.
  3. Go to another device (iOS, Web, Mac, another Windows PC) and upload 4 notes, all with 1MB or more attachment.
  4. Sync this PC
  5. Highlight all 4 notes by selecting note 1, and shift-click-note 4 and merge.

Evernote will note ensure the note content is downloaded before merging, so it will only get the content of the first note merged and maybe the last one, but not the ones in the middle. So you will only get note 2 and 3 titles, but the content is lost in the trash.

This can easily happen on just one PC if you are working on a project over a period of time, say taxes, or whatever, and at the end, you want to merge them all into a single finished note. If any of those got purged via step 2 above, you'll lose data.

A merge should FORCE all notes to be downloaded first, or at least refuse to merge if there are any unsync'd notes in the merge selection.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Hi Ed - team has been looking at the data and we are seeing too many users see this dialog multiple times a session, so we'll be adding the check box to not show the message again. We'll target our next release for this. 

I just got the message when moving a note out of a shared notebook, so please ensure that dialog also gets the checkbox. Same concept, different direction. Thanks!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Austin G said:

We'll prompt you when the count reaches 200, 225, 240 and for notebooks #241-250. The first three prompts do not have a 'don't show this again' option. The last 9 do. 

OK, well, considering that I have <20 notebooks in my personal count, over just a bit under 10 years, I make it about another 90 years before I get to test this...

...I guess that's about right for the 100 year startup...

• Level 5*

Showing PDFs is now showing blank. I've not noticed this before.

1. Clicked on note with 3 page PDF in it.
  2. PDF contents show in the body window. I use list view.
  3. Double-clicked on the note to open it in a new window.
  4. PDF never rendered. Just a big white box.
  5. 2-3 seconds later, the PDF visible in step #2 above turned white as well, hiding the PDF contents.

Only solution was to close the note, select anther note, the repeat step #1 above.

Still getting a variety of random crashes.  This is on a Surface Pro 4 i7 device with 16gb ram, 512gb ssd drive - and only a chrome browser running with about 6-10 tabs open.    

Have to reboot or kill any evernote processes in task manager to get it to open again.   If it gets much worse, it'll be pretty much unusable for me on this device.

Sigh.

Continuing Bugs in 6.12.2

Ordered Lists are still messed up. Reported reported 2018-03-28.
http://www.evernote.com/l/AJCC6Xo2aMpOabMA_eS5l6Z0oNjGtFWqM0k/

Work Chat is still broken.  Reported 2018-02-18
http://www.evernote.com/l/AJD5jlwwy3pLP7W5y3gIJotcXcZCF67QEgE/

New "All Notes" button(?) is lost under my shortcuts. Suggest a move.
http://www.evernote.com/l/AJAi_ngGsixJgbRkx76oWZDVAGHRm8Mnlho/

Tag view still has extra white space columns.  Reported 2018-02-11
http://www.evernote.com/l/AJDG6MO_gF9HTIU5xxatVJz-aoKYJQ3ZHTQ/

Can't use print screen if evernote dialog is open:  Reported 2018-03-29
http://www.evernote.com/l/AJC5O6JmnaVLLq2DmAk6jjvAIrmRkGYxui4/

New Notebook view is so slow it is completely pointless that it exists (is it because I have 32,000 notes?)
http://www.evernote.com/l/AJCPexiPo-5A1aQrGFyeEe6RfZkBbjwDCSY/

Untested to see if fixed as of yet (travelling with only this one computer):

Tags turn "invisible"
http://www.evernote.com/l/AJDRYO7yD5pNGqe8lTVHvR9A-JyKoYf4NZA/

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, EdH said:

Showing PDFs is now showing blank. I've not noticed this before.

1. Clicked on note with 3 page PDF in it.
  2. PDF contents show in the body window. I use list view.
  3. Double-clicked on the note to open it in a new window.
  4. PDF never rendered. Just a big white box.
  5. 2-3 seconds later, the PDF visible in step #2 above turned white as well, hiding the PDF contents.

Only solution was to close the note, select anther note, the repeat step #1 above.

Not seeing this.  Have you tried File - Exit and then starting EN back up?  I found that if PDFs began to render slowly, a File - Exit fixes it.  Frustrating anomaly that EN is sometimes.  :blink:

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

Not seeing this.  Have you tried File - Exit and then starting EN back up?  I found that if PDFs began to render slowly, a File - Exit fixes it.  Frustrating anomaly that EN is sometimes.  :blink:

Just switching out/into that note fixed it. If exiting and relaunching fixes it, that isn't a fix, that is a workaround that closes all of my other open notes and loses my place. And should be properly fixed.

I'll exit tonight when done and see if tomorrow fares any better.

• Level 5*

Yeah, fix relative to addressing a recurrent issue, not a permanent solution by any stretch .  Not much of a workaround either as workarounds should skirt the issue once deployed in my view. 

On 25/04/2018 at 6:43 PM, EdH said:

This is still an issue. The source post has a video showing what happens. Still happening in 6.12 b2

I see a similar problem, but without the delay when going back to the note body. Almost immediately after the cursor gets to the body, it jumps back to the title, whether I've started typing ot not.

19 hours ago, Liam Gretton said:

I see a similar problem, but without the delay when going back to the note body. Almost immediately after the cursor gets to the body, it jumps back to the title, whether I've started typing ot not.

I also have a weirdly jumping cursor.

If I open a note, I'm in the note body but if I put the cursor in the title line, it sometimes jumps back into the note body.

If I use tab to jump from title to tag, the cursor also sometimes jumps to the note body.

While working within the Note body, I have the cursor disappearing often. Say you click in a line and by the time your hand moves from mouse to keyboard the cursor disappears and one has to do it again OR

you type something in the note body and the cursor just disappears.

Dunno if this is just me but I have this on 2 different computers. I cannot 100% confirm whether this is in Beta 2 only or also in Beta 1.

Something very weird going on. Maybe I have broken mouse or touchpad but I didn't experience similar issues in other apps. How can this even happening?!?

• Level 5*

Bug report.  This happened in a previous release, went away and now it is back.

I have one tag search where I use thumbnail as a saved view.  When there are a large number of notes in the results, EN hangs and has to be force closed. 

The search is useless at the moment due to the hang.  Nor can I gain access to flip Always use... to turn the saved view off.  Most of the notes with this tag contain PDFs if that makes any difference.

Here is an amazing bug:

I clipped a website as bookmark (Firefox). Then I add a link to that note in the first line and EN automatically CHANGES the title of the note to that first line as soon as I hit enter!

PLEASE FIX ASAP!!!

• Level 5*

Bug: replicating note in trash

I have a note in my Trash notebook that does not sync, and every thing a Sync operation occurs, the note is replicated. So over the last week, I got ~1400 copies of this note, all unsynced, living in my Trash.

In the WIndows client, I have tried permanently deleting the note (and all copies), and it comes back (and replicates every sync operation)

In the WIndows client, I have tried restoring the note, and it replicates to the trash every sync operation..

Since the note and its copies are unsynced, I can't see it in the web client.

From the activity log:

08:52:47 [INFO   ] [16356] [54184] Client synchronization started
08:52:47 [INFO   ] [16356] [708] 100% Loaded updateCount: 67460
08:52:47 [INFO   ] [16356] [708] 100% Usage Metrics: sessionCount=0
08:52:47 [INFO   ] [16356] [708] 100% SyncState: devices used: 1
08:52:47 [INFO   ] [16356] [708] 100% Client is up to date with the server, updateCount: 67460
08:52:48 [INFO   ] [16356] [53052] 0% Synchronizing linked notebook "Development" shared by jefito
08:52:48 [INFO   ] [16356] [53052] 0% Loaded linked notebook updateCount: 187625
08:52:48 [INFO   ] [16356] [53052] 0% Client is up to date with the linked notebook server, updateCount: 187625
08:52:48 [INFO   ] [16356] [53052] 0% Updating linked notebook server items
08:52:48 [INFO   ] [16356] [53052] 0% Synchronizing linked notebook "Inbox" shared by jefito
08:52:48 [INFO   ] [16356] [53052] 0% Loaded linked notebook updateCount: 187625
08:52:48 [INFO   ] [16356] [53052] 0% Client is up to date with the linked notebook server, updateCount: 187625
08:52:48 [INFO   ] [16356] [53052] 0% Updating linked notebook server items
08:52:48 [INFO   ] [16356] [53052] 0% Updating server note "SAN FRANCISCO — In 1980, Dave Patters...", resource count: 0, content: 606 B
08:52:48 [INFO   ] [16356] [53052] 0% * guid={c363d0b1-a58f-4bb5-aa8f-6ae229fcce4e}
08:52:48 [ERROR  ] [16356] [53052] 0% Unable to update server note "SAN FRANCISCO — In 1980, Dave Patters...". Permission Denied.
08:52:48 [INFO   ] [16356] [53052] 0% Retrieving note "SAN FRANCISCO — In 1980, Dave Patters..." from the service.
08:52:48 [ERROR  ] [16356] [53052] 0% Unable to retrieve note "SAN FRANCISCO — In 1980, Dave Patters..." from the service. Permission Denied.
08:52:48 [INFO   ] [16356] [53052] 0% Copying note "SAN FRANCISCO — In 1980, Dave Patters..." to notebook "@Todo".
08:52:48 [INFO   ] [16356] [54184] Client synchronization finished, status: complete
08:52:48 [INFO   ] [16356] [54184] * elapsed time: 0s
08:52:48 [ERROR  ] [16356] [54184] * 3 notes failed to sync
08:52:48 [ERROR  ] [16356] [54184] * Note: "SAN FRANCISCO — In 1980, Dave Patters...", error: "authenticationToken (PERMISSION_DENIED)"
08:52:48 [ERROR  ] [16356] [54184] * Note: "SAN FRANCISCO — In 1980, Dave Patters...", error: "authenticationToken (PERMISSION_DENIED)"

I've also tried, from the secret Help menu "Fix all notes" and "Optimize database", to no avail.

So , kind of annoying.

Edit: Of course, the last resort is to delete the database files, and let everything sync down from the servers. That's on the list, but I'll do it later on. Mainly just reporting a puzzling bug here.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

Bug: replicating note in trash

I have a note in my Trash notebook that does not sync, and every thing a Sync operation occurs, the note is replicated. So over the last week, I got ~1400 copies of this note, all unsynced, living in my Trash.

In the WIndows client, I have tried permanently deleting the note (and all copies), and it comes back (and replicates every sync operation)

In the WIndows client, I have tried restoring the note, and it replicates to the trash every sync operation..

Since the note and its copies are unsynced, I can't see it in the web client.

From the activity log:

I've also tried, from the secret Help menu "Fix all notes" and "Optimize database", to no avail.

So , kind of annoying.

Edit: Of course, the last resort is to delete the database files, and let everything sync down from the servers. That's on the list, but I'll do it later on. Mainly just reporting a puzzling bug here.

I haven't experienced the issue of trashed notes replicating with each sync, but I have run into "hard to delete" notes, where the note shows in trash, does not sync, and cannot be erased in the normal manner. In those cases, I will restore the note, then create a new note, give it a title and merge the "hard to delete" note into the newly created note (new note selected first). Deleting the merged note usually works and everything syncs. 

So if you haven't already tried this, restore one of the replicating notes, merge it into a newly created note, then see if that note properly deletes. If that works, maybe a similar process with a mega-merged note of the other replicating notes will work.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, tavor said:

So if you haven't already tried this, restore one of the replicating notes, merge it into a newly created note, then see if that note properly deletes. If that works, maybe a similar process with a mega-merged note of the other replicating notes will work.

Well, that was worth a try, but didn't work. Maybe it's a phase-of-the-moon thing, or my biorhythms are off.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: gave up fooling around, deleted the database, and synced. All is fine now.

I am really late to the discussion about tables, since I don't create them on a regular basis, but I do have a good number that I refer to and edit from time to time.  After editing several, I discovered that they lost the ability to automatically fit the note window, in both Windows and iOS (the ones that I do not edit still retain the previous behavior).

The truncated appearance of previous created tables is very inconvenient, is there a way to restore the automatic behavior, besides going back to version 6.5?

If I am misunderstanding tables and it is not an automatic behavior, then why did they fit fine before and now they do not?  Whatever the issue really is, I am not a happy camper with the current behavior.

4 hours ago, Don Dz said:

I am really late to the discussion about tables, since I don't create them on a regular basis, but I do have a good number that I refer to and edit from time to time.  After editing several, I discovered that they lost the ability to automatically fit the note window, in both Windows and iOS (the ones that I do not edit still retain the previous behavior).

The truncated appearance of previous created tables is very inconvenient, is there a way to restore the automatic behavior, besides going back to version 6.5?

If I am misunderstanding tables and it is not an automatic behavior, then why did they fit fine before and now they do not?  Whatever the issue really is, I am not a happy camper with the current behavior.

good point and something I did quite like about the tables. I actually went "wow" when I saw it the first time.

My personal feeling is that development/fixing tables stopped in favor of something else (emoji?:lol:). Working with tables feels still somewhat experimental and everything but intuitive - and there always seems to be some weird format stuff happening like one can mark multiple cells one color but can only "un-color" individual cells, some formats get stuck, etc.

To be frank, I don't even feel it makes sense to report those bugs because it seems obvious to me that "tables in EN" is a unfinished project. I don't see EN would give this much attention considering how long it takes to fix basic EN functionality LOL

2 hours ago, Maddhin said:

To be frank, I don't even feel it makes sense to report those bugs because it seems obvious to me that "tables in EN" is a unfinished project. I don't see EN would give this much attention considering how long it takes to fix basic EN functionality LOL

That's an odd assessment considering that tables is an old feature that used to work and now doesn't, this appears to be the bulk of most complains anyway (that which worked should still work regardless of new buggy features).

What is obvious to me is that Evernote itself is an unfinished product, ever since they went to a cloud service after version 2 and started using the weird mandatory green on white colors.

Just gave 6.12 beta 2 a drive. Mainly to check to see if a confirmed issue has been fixed where we are unable to edit any note. The cursor simply will not enter the note(s) for editing. It has not been fixed as of beta 2. Please move this up on the priority list. It may effect only a handful of us, but it basically renders EN unusable. Tech support has confirmed this issue and has said that developers are working on it. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

.. ever since they went to a cloud service ..

I'm not a programmer. But have used EN for 8 years without one single glitch, automatic updates. It seems migrated to cloud all sorts of problems started showing up. I've basically been unable to upgrade past v6.7.5.5825 because of the issues. I wouldn't think that EN uses cloud for their server applications, but only for data storage.

1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

That's an odd assessment considering that tables is an old feature that used to work and now doesn't, this appears to be the bulk of most complains anyway (that which worked should still work regardless of new buggy features).

In my subjective perception, those "fancy" tables with colors, etc. are a "new" feature "recently" introduced. Objectively you could call it an old feature as it has been around for 12(?)+ months or so.

I am using tables for different things but I find myself always thinking "shouldn't I use Excel for this and then copy&paste?" - but then it's a pain to re-format that Excel table and it is effectively the same trouble.

IMHO the new tables could be a great great feature - especially when working on different plattforms. For the moment, I do not want to be ungrateful, as the new tables are an improvement when e.g. working on a small iPhone.

Complaining about formating, etc. issues on tables here seems greedy. I do have a lot of normal notes which are a format mess - e.g. showing in 3 or 4 different font sizes and styles within the note depending on which device you look at the note, formats change when going to next line, etc. -> let's hope those fundamental things gets fixed first before dreaming of having sexy tables... :lol:

4 hours ago, Maddhin said:

In my subjective perception, those "fancy" tables with colors, etc. are a "new" feature "recently" introduced. Objectively you could call it an old feature as it has been around for 12(?)+ months or so.

I am pretty sure I did not mention anything regarding what you are talking about.

I was clearly referring only to automatic resizing of tables in general being broken, an old feature which I am fairly confident has been around since about the time tables were introduced several years ago). 

It sounds like you might be addressing what others may have posted on the subject in other discussions, if so, it would be more appropriate to address them on what they wrote about it.

On 4/30/2018 at 5:09 AM, Maddhin said:

Here is an amazing bug:

I clipped a website as bookmark (Firefox). Then I add a link to that note in the first line and EN automatically CHANGES the title of the note to that first line as soon as I hit enter!

PLEASE FIX ASAP!!!

I could be wrong, but that is the expected behavior, as far as I know, unless I missed what you are trying to explain.  Only by directly editing the title after creating the note, is that behavior stopped. 

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

I could be wrong, but that is the expected behavior, as far as I know, unless I missed what you are trying to explain.  Only by directly editing the title after creating the note, is that behavior stopped. 

It is the most annoying thing in the world. Why would I want the first line of the note to be the subject? I have that as the first line of the note, and don't need/want it repeated.

I'm running 6.12.1.7092 and found an issue that appeared after I was using it for a while.  As far as I can tell this appeared when I switched to the new gmail.  Clipping emails is no longer working in the new gmail in Windows 10.  You can see what is clipped vs. what it should look like in the images.  I'm currently installing 6.12 prerelease and will advise if the problem is still there.5ae88aa96cf0b_20180501ENissue.thumb.jpg.c706d7ac5486027a2949426cb1e82e1a.jpg5ae88aa7b633b_20180501ENissue2.thumb.jpg.f1c7c5a9e3e2788a841547f2406b67ca.jpg

1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

It's expected behavior if you make a new note (where the cursor usually goes into the body) but this happens with existing (e.g  clipped) notes...

It doesn't happen with all notes but it seems more likely to happen with "freshly clipped ones". 

Extremely annoying, especially as there is a delay of a few seconds (at least on my system) and the title is lost/overwritten and has to be manually changed (and remembered!) again. 

1 hour ago, eafpres said:

I'm running 6.12.1.7092 and found an issue that appeared after I was using it for a while.  As far as I can tell this appeared when I switched to the new gmail.  Clipping emails is no longer working in the new gmail in Windows 10.  You can see what is clipped vs. what it should look like in the images.  I'm currently installing 6.12 prerelease and will advise if the problem is still there.

Problem is identical in 6.12 prerelease

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, eafpres said:

I'm running 6.12.1.7092 and found an issue that appeared after I was using it for a while.  As far as I can tell this appeared when I switched to the new gmail.  Clipping emails is no longer working in the new gmail in Windows 10.

Is this a web clipper problem that you're talking about? The web clipper and the desktop application are two separate products. It's been reported in that subforum:

Just now, jefito said:

Is this a web clipper problem that you're talking about? The web clipper and the desktop application are two separate products. It's been reported in that subforum:

Sorry, my bad.  I'll go over there.

2 hours ago, Maddhin said:

It's expected behavior if you make a new note (where the cursor usually goes into the body) but this happens with existing (e.g  clipped) notes...

As far as I can recall using Evernote, changing the first line is the same thing as changing the title, in any note, until the title is edited directly, then the title sticks.  I can consistently reproduce this behavior

It used to be a little annoying, but now I have come to expect it, hate the fact that in Android the default is "untitled note", first line is a better stop gap 

3 hours ago, EdH said:

It is the most annoying thing in the world. Why would I want the first line of the note to be the subject? I have that as the first line of the note, and don't need/want it repeated.

I used to be a Palm Pilot user, that is exactly how it behaves as well, so I guess I am used to it, I like the fact that the behavior can be easily stopped by simply editing the title after the note is created, which could not be done in Palm devices.

I do agree it would be nice to have the option to have a different behavior, but it works for me as is.

• Ex Employees
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

As far as I can recall using Evernote, changing the first line is the same thing as changing the title, in any note, until the title is edited directly, then the title sticks.

Exactly, @Don DzThis is the designed behavior of the title field.  

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Don Dz said:

I used to be a Palm Pilot user, that is exactly how it behaves as well, so I guess I am used to it, I like the fact that the behavior can be easily stopped by simply editing the title after the note is created, which could not be done in Palm devices.

I do agree it would be nice to have the option to have a different behavior, but it works for me as is.

Not sure 1998 technology and design is the thing we should be striving for today...

7 hours ago, Austin G said:

Exactly, @Don DzThis is the designed behavior of the title field.  

that doesn't make any sense - at very least for clipped notes or notes in general which ALREADY do have a title. For new notes for the sole purpose of assigning a title, this is debatable but still should be optional.

So the designed behavior is that I have to remember which notes have a manually and which have a automatically assigned title? And for the automatically assigned ones I need to go into the title, do some FAKE CHANGES and THEN I may add a comment on to top of the note without messing up the title? :wacko:

Hm, this sounds more like a mocking than efficiency tool to me... In which scenario does this behavior any good? You want to tell me that there are people out there who prefer making a new line in the note body to change the title instead of going directly in the title field (markup guys?)? How does that compare to the millions of people using webclipper or have notes generated through sharing from e.g. iOS apps?

If you don't want to call it a bug, it's worse: terrible design!

Quick and simple solution: make it optional and everybody is happy!

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, Maddhin said:

You want to tell me that there are people out there who prefer making a new line in the note body to change the title instead of going directly in the title field (markup guys?)?

Why yes, yes there are. Me, for example. Often I want to just start typing a note, and have the first line be the title as well. That's why I have Tools / Options / Note / "Set new note focus to title" unchecked.

42 minutes ago, Maddhin said:

Quick and simple solution: make it optional and everybody is happy!

OK, then uncheck the option above, type your title, and hit the Tab key.

I'll grant that it probably shouldn't happen on notes that come with title's all filled in, as with the web clipper.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, EdH said:

Not sure 1998 technology and design is the thing we should be striving for today...

Heh, tell that to all of the folks who crave arbitrarily nestable folders, er, notebooks... ;)

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, jefito said:

Why yes, yes there are. Me, for example. Often I want to just start typing a note, and have the first line be the title as well. That's why I have Tools / Options / Note / "Set new note focus to title" unchecked.

OK, then uncheck the option above, type your title, and hit the Tab key.

I'll grant that it probably shouldn't happen on notes that come with title's all filled in, as with the web clipper.

But you have no title. That is fine. For notes with a title, the TITLE SHOULD NOT CHANGE unless I change it.

The AI in Evernote is horrible here. It is horrible in suggested, related, and everywhere else. Just let me type what I want. And don't automatically change anything.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, EdH said:

But you have no title. That is fine. For notes with a title, the TITLE SHOULD NOT CHANGE unless I change it.

Agreed. Hence the comment:

16 hours ago, jefito said:

So far, I would say 6.12.2 has as many or more performance issues than previous versions.  Over the last several days, it has shown "Not responding" more than "usual" (Windows 10, HD with SS cache (but not full SSD).  It crashed completely once (just disappeared).  It crashed yesterday with the following:

5aeb3863f1021_20180502ENissue.jpg.a95a63d1f6aed41f8843f42ea2f46873.jpg

4 hours ago, eafpres said:

So far, I would say 6.12.2 has as many or more performance issues than previous versions.  Over the last several days, it has shown "Not responding" more than "usual" (Windows 10, HD with SS cache (but not full SSD). 

In my case, if it matters to the debugging team, it crashed repeatedly during very active editing of many reusable notes I keep, but otherwise it seemed stable during regular navigation and light editing. 

To confirm what others have already mentioned, in the current beta, the cursor jumps all over the place during heavy editing, I did not notice as much before during light editing.

4 hours ago, Don Dz said:

To confirm what others have already mentioned, in the current beta, the cursor jumps all over the place during heavy editing, I did not notice as much before during light editing.

@EN-Team: PLEASE fix up cursor jumping problems in very next release - or I'm going crazy with EN :-(

• I've to verify every cursor position after activating EN to continue editing.
  • Pasting text to EN often pastes the text but moves the window position to the end of the whole text (like hitting PAGE-DOWN some times)
  • Copying text from EN (after activating an EN window) often fails (windows clipboard does not contain marked an copied text from EN)
  • Within bulleted text lists: SHIFT-RETURN at the end of a text line has to move the cursor to the next (inserted blank) line (OK). But if you move the cursor with UP and DOWN keys to somewhere else, this empty line will be "optimized" away often - why?
  • Starting a bulleted list on a new line (RETURN; CTRL-SHIFT-B) often intends content of a following text section
The last two topics seems to appear only in notes to which formatted text (i.e. from Outlook or somewhere else) has been inserted to EN.

But: All of these effects have not been seen in older versions (<= 6.7?). Together with some really ugly enhancements (embedded PDF handling, over-spaced tables, remove URLs when pasting unformatted text, ...) I also feel that EN does not care its software quality. Is it really necessary to implement feature by feature and forget already heavily used and loved base functionality?

5 hours ago, Eldorado said:
  • Copying text from EN (after activating an EN window) often fails (windows clipboard does not contain marked an copied text from EN)

I'm experiencing this too, sometimes I can't even reliably select text from a note and it takes two or three attempts (the selection highlight just disappears). Then it's hit and miss whether the selection made it to the clipboard at all. I see this in 6.11 as well as the current beta.

Previously I reported the behavior of 6.12 beta 2 crashing (just disappearing), and in one instance crashing with a memory error reported.  A new behavior has presented today--crashing but remaining in background, such that you cannot restart the application from the taskbar.  My workaround is to use Task Manager to remove it from background, then I can restart it normally.  Just reporting for the benefit of the developers.

14 hours ago, Eldorado said:
  • I've to verify every cursor position after activating EN to continue editing.
  • Pasting text to EN often pastes the text but moves the window position to the end of the whole text (like hitting PAGE-DOWN some times)
  • Starting a bulleted list on a new line (RETURN; CTRL-SHIFT-B) often intends content of a following text section

I have noticed these four points as well, the cursor seems to often disappear, and when it doesn't, some of the above actions will often make it disappear again, and appear in another location.

I am beginning to question the advantages of the new editor, it seems many of the reported problems started with the change, sometime after version 6.5.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Liam Gretton said:

I'm experiencing this too, sometimes I can't even reliably select text from a note and it takes two or three attempts (the selection highlight just disappears). Then it's hit and miss whether the selection made it to the clipboard at all. I see this in 6.11 as well as the current beta.

I get this as well from time to time.

15 hours ago, eafpres said:

Previously I reported the behavior of 6.12 beta 2 crashing (just disappearing), and in one instance crashing with a memory error reported.  A new behavior has presented today--crashing but remaining in background, such that you cannot restart the application from the taskbar.  My workaround is to use Task Manager to remove it from background, then I can restart it normally.  Just reporting for the benefit of the developers.

I have see the crashing in this version as well but I had this also with the previous 1-2 versions. I posted about my issues restarting EN.

But 6.12. Beta 2 is definetely less stable than the versions before. I also have EN freezing for 5-20 sec on a regular basis...

Version 6.5 has been my safe haven whenever I get tired of the behavior of the latest updates and just want to do my work peacefully, a very stable version, I thought. 

But this last time, version 6.5 started showing erratic behaviors very similar to version 6.12 Beta 2, with jumping cursor and some data loss.  However, this was not with the entire program or even many notes, but just with one specific note edited under version 6.12 b2, which contains tables. 

In the past, going back to version 6.5 simply made the tables behave as they did before, in a more reliable and stable manner basically.  But this time the erratic behavior stayed with the note.   

I made the problem go away by deleting and recreating the tables (not the entire note, just the tables), after first backing up the data inside the tables, of course.

I am mentioning this in case it gives a clue as to where the problem with version 6.12 beta 2 might be located.   If it matters, I went back to version 6.11 first, before giving up and going back to version 6.5 (because version 6,11 made tables look bad when viewed in Android and iOS).

On 4/24/2018 at 1:59 AM, Nick Nassiri said:

Hello Everyone,

Today we're announcing the availability of version 6.12 Beta 2. You can download it here or check for updates (make sure you've opted in to get Beta updates from Options.) 

We have a lot of work to do, and we're going to keep at it. In the meantime, feel free to check it out and give us your feedback!

Thanks,
Nick and the Windows Team at Evernote

-----------------

Release Notes for Windows version 6.12

Note: Versions 6.12 is supported in OS versions Windows 7 and up.

Improved:

- More easily manage and navigate your notebooks from the Notebooks View. You can access this by selecting 'Notebooks' from the left panel.

- Messaging to alert the user when they're approaching their notebook limit

Fixed:

- Drag & Drop of files and documents from Evernote to other apps

- Keyboard shortcut for renaming Notebook Stacks now consistently works

- Note statistics remain on screen when expected

Is it safe to say that the old PDF viewer (pre-V6.8) is not coming back? Should I bite the bullet and upgrade and get used to the new Chrome-look PDF viewer within notes?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, TK0047 said:

Is it safe to say that the old PDF viewer (pre-V6.8) is not coming back?

What can I say?  Evernote don't share future plans,  and no-one else can guess what they might intend long-term...  you could hold out for a while longer if the latest bells and whistles don't attract,  but by next year...

2 hours ago, TK0047 said:

Is it safe to say that the old PDF viewer (pre-V6.8) is not coming back? Should I bite the bullet and upgrade and get used to the new Chrome-look PDF viewer within notes?

I would not update to 6.12 at this time.  It has many issues.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, TK0047 said:

Not sure the enhancements warrant a move yet.  If 7.0 doesn’t have something big I may move back to 6.5 or 6.7 to get away from all the issues introduced since then.  

I had and have many problems with cursor placement while entering an note to edit or during edit within bulleted lists or around PDFs.

The cursor simply will not enter the note(s) for editing.

If you're working in EN Business, this might be correct if you try to enter a note to which you have no write permission.

11 hours ago, CalS said:

Not sure the enhancements warrant a move yet.  If 7.0 doesn’t have something big I may move back to 6.5 or 6.7 to get away from all the issues introduced since then.  

I am messing with the 6.13 at home and still at 6.7 at work. I can't even hit ESC to go to the note list from the note panel in 6.13. As little as that sounds, it is a big deal for me.

I think I agree with you, I will wait for 7.0 to see what happens until then stick to 6.7 which is working just fine for me.

• Level 5

I got tired of doing Evernote's Quality Contol work. It's been getting so bad that users are debating whether their problems are considered a BUG or a FEATURE. And of course, no comment from Evernote on these issues - for example - why did they change the PDF viewer?.

Based on my experience it is safer to stay with the GA Public release version that was released 9 to 12 months ago.  This gives plenty of time for the users to uncover bugs that were missed by Evernote.

I am using version 6.6 (released August last year). And a few months, I might move to 6.7

1 hour ago, jbenson2 said:

And of course, no comment from Evernote on these issues - for example - why did they change the PDF viewer?

I was saying the same in a different post the other day, and someone shared the following with me. So evidently there was a response from Evernote on this matter (although I still want the old style and a better explanation :) )

• Level 5

Thank you for the Evernote understanding of what happened. 

His final comment "There was something like 6-12 months of work before what we got to the point of the initial release - and we're obviously not done." supports my belief to constantly hang back and not upgrade for 9 to 12 months.

• Austin G unpinned this topic
  • Shane D. pinned, unpinned, unfeatured and pinned this topic

Since I see a report that the latest beta has STILL not fixed the inability to create new notes or edit edit existing I remain concerned about the continued viability of the program. To have such a basic flaw in a commercial product like this is pretty mind-boggling to me, especially since I am PAYING for it.  Is the company really going to stay in business?

My renewal is coming up and I may defer it if I cannot get basic functionality back.  To do this I assume I will have to revert to an earlier version that DID work, so my question is, how far back do I need to go?  Which update was it that introduced the bug?

On 5/23/2018 at 11:44 AM, jpedicord said:

Since I see a report that the latest beta has STILL not fixed the inability to create new notes or edit edit existing I remain concerned about the continued viability of the program.

Which update was it that introduced the bug?

I could be wrong, but I believe  version 6.11 GA does not have the problem you describe.  I am currently using 6.5 only because that was the last version before they changed the editor, which messed up the automatic table resizing.  But I believe the latest bad bugs came with version 6.12 beta 1. 

I may try to go back to version 6.11 once I am finished creating or editing tables for a while, it had a few nice touches which I wish to try again.

6.11 was what I was using. I went back to 6.7 and it works properly on both my laptop and desktop PCs. I generally try to stay updated with my software but here I will have to make an exception. I’ll stick with what works. 

I did a forum search, and it appears you are correct, the disappearing cursor problem shows up as early as version 6.8.7, though it seems it has gotten worse starting with version 6.12.

2 hours ago, jpedicord said:

6.11 was what I was using. I went back to 6.7 and it works properly on both my laptop and desktop PCs. I generally try to stay updated with my software but here I will have to make an exception. I’ll stick with what works. 

Concerning version 6.7, it has been reported that Paste and Match Style is still broken in that version, just so you know, that's one of the reasons people go farther back to version 6.5.

After backing up all my DB by exporint in a ENEX files, I did also uninstalled the last GA version 6.11.something, and installed over the trusty Evernote_6.5.4.4720.exe in my personal computer... and tomorrow will do the same thing with the computer I have in the office..

Now it's much more responsive, formatting appears to be more coherently and so far I've seen no impact in the Notes content/integrity. Evernote was able to open the DB (EXB) without need to download all the content again.

I'll let you know if I had any problem Issue during the next week.

Transition from 6.11 to 6.5 has been quick and painless, and I don't think I will miss any new functionality developed after v6.5. All that the "improvements" added in the last year are (from my point of view) totally useless, but the real problem here is they also added a ***** ton of new bugs.  They should get rid of all development since 6.5 and just recover few functionality and bugfixes, continue this way where only new and fancy bugs are added into the mix it's a total waste or resources from the company.

• Level 5*
On 5/25/2018 at 12:15 PM, Don Dz said:

Concerning version 6.7, it has been reported that Paste and Match Style is still broken in that version, just so you know, that's one of the reasons people go farther back to version 6.5.

That's correct. Paste and Match Style was broken starting with 6.6. If memory serves, I think it was partially fixed in 6.7, but not fully fixed until later. If anyone wants to know, just go back to the beta and GA release threads around that time. Paste and Match Style is a big deal for me, so I was actively commenting and pointing out when a release still had that issue.

Unfortunately, 6.6 was also when we got a lot of table improvements, so if someone rolls back to 6.5 they won't get those.

8 hours ago, tavor said:

Unfortunately, 6.6 was also when we got a lot of table improvements, so if someone rolls back to 6.5 they won't get those.

The table improvements included losing automatic table resizing, which is why I prefer working with tables with earlier versions like 6.5. 

I am still not sure what is better about the improvements, only that the only thing I really wanted from tables is gone.

On 5/23/2018 at 10:44 AM, jpedicord said:

Since I see a report that the latest beta has STILL not fixed the inability to create new notes or edit edit existing I remain concerned about the continued viability of the program. To have such a basic flaw in a commercial product like this is pretty mind-boggling to me ..

Likewise. I have remained at v6.7.5.5825 after attempting to update to all subsequent versions. All of them with too many bugs for me to trust my notes with. The inability to edit notes seemed to appear in 6.11 for me (confirmed by support), and I continued to see the issue through v6.12.beta 2. I am encouraged, however, that production has continued to work on v 6.12 through a beta 3 instead of cranking out GA's from beta 2's about every month or so. I am wanting to use EN as I have trusted in the past. Just speculation, EN is perhaps focusing on the business end of the product.

Archived