Cleaning Up Reminders

FireFish

Idea

2018-04-16_21-01-03.thumb.png.5f1ccb2ab7217c242d855973f23a21a2.pngI'd like to see a much easier method for cleaning up my old / neglected reminders at once. 

Perhaps a 'Select All' and 'Remove Reminders' option would do.

My reminders function is virtually useless due to the thousands of un-cleared reminders that are clogging it up.

2018-04-16_21-01-03.png

16 replies to this idea

Old Thread, but want to chime in here to say THANK YOU DTLow for the script.

I found myself in a similar boat as FireFish - I'd played with reminders in EN years ago, for different purposes (at one point experimented with attempting to use reminder as a "read latter" list), and therefore my "Reminders" were many and out of control, and therefore not useful.

Thanks for the script to clean it up!  

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

But I am using the iOS client 80% of the time, where I can’t.

Check.  I do any heavy lifting on the desktop and use IOS for minor adding/editing and look up.  That's maybe 5-10% of my time in EN so I am not really confronted by the issues.  I can see for sure where improved IOS functionality would help if IOS was one's main gateway to EN.

• Level 5

Using the Win client, yes I can change the year. But I am using the iOS client 80% of the time, where I can’t. This is rock solid - confirmed by my ticket with EN support („a lack of iOS“ ... Things can do ... as well as repetitive reminders, set up project plans for smaller efforts etc.) . Because I use links to EN, the reminder works like an extension to EN - no duplicates of the core note.

This discussion shows as well that everybody has an own usecase. So always good to exchange ideas.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

in EN it is not possible to change the preset year.

You can change the year on reminders.          ScreenClip.png.b37c4f02a4d2a91da4b7c0996c6fe773.png

23 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

But I do not think using EN-reminders again is a good  idea.

Horses for courses.  I have been using EN reminders since they appeared for my task management.  I like having ALL my stuff in one place, EN.  Other than a grocery list in Wunderlist.  There are some enhancements that could be made to improve EN reminders, but I have no issues tracking to dates within EN.  Perhaps just not a good idea for your use case.

• Level 5

Yes - EN holds the content, and the reminder is just handling the link created in Things.

This is much better than copying the content into a task manager, duplicating it which always leads into confusing content between copies.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Furthermore now all my reminders are in one place, which makes handling them easier.

All in one place is good, but I also play to the strenth of different services.
Evernote - notes and management; tasks etc.
Apple Reminders - notifications
Apple Calendar - grid display, notifications

• Level 5

It is not written in a negative mood, EN remindes plainly are basic in their features. A contact to EN support confirmed this and did not build hope that this will change any time soon. Which brought up Links into Things as alternative solution. Furthermore now all my reminders are in one place, which makes handling them easier.

• Level 5*
On 3/8/2019 at 2:31 PM, PinkElephant said:

That's very negative.

Yes, EN-reminders has limited features.  But I do make use of it for my task management.
I use the Reminder feature to store Start Date and Completion Status/Date.  Each morning, my current task list is generated with search     reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*

>>in EN it is not possible to change the preset year. 

Depends on the platform (not a problem on Mac), but another In the list of the limitations.
I'm usually using a script and enter something like 2020/01/20 8:05

>>repetitive tasks

Recurring reminders are not supported by Evernote, but there are work-arounds.
Third party Filterize resets reminders; I use scripting.

• Level 5

My opinion on this is that YES it is a good idea to clean out the mess by scripting (would be nice on Windows as well).

Reminders in EN are very restricted compared to real ToDo-tools. I personally prefer to create a link into „Things“, set the reminders there and be able by simply clicking the link to bring up the EN- note for reference. Things allows to set remind dates, due dates, repetitive tasks based on plain cycles or based on when the reminder was reset the last time, projects & Tags  etc. and you can place the date more than 12 month to the future - in EN it is not possible to change the preset year. Other task managers offer similar features far better than EN itself.

And finally you can choose several reminders at once and beam them into Nirwana, because some time it is better to forget than be reminded 😩  💨💨💨 😬 

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, FireFish said:

can you help fill in the missing values, such as what I would use for selectedNote and selectedNotes?

Evernote Clear Reminders Query.txt

As written, selectedNotes is assigned to the notes you've selected in Evernote (selection)

The script then repeats though those notes individually (selectedNote)

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Is it just me or is it counter intuitive to have a capability to bulk delete/close reminders?

Generally speaking, you’d be right. 

However, my situation is unique from day to day use bc I never fully appreciated or even paid attention to this feature until now and now I want to use it, but would like to start fresh of todos. 

I would go a step further: in addition to only bulk deleting, please also add bulk adding reminders (with same date or without date) as well as bulk editing reminders. 

I am using reminders quite extensively and having to process my inbox item by item is quite tedious. 

Archived