Android Tablet handwriting too lag

Hi i wonder anyone have the same issue like me. I am using samsung tab 10.1 spen. currently i am fan of evernote and i using it everyday to take note.

But my experience with handwriting on evernote is too terrible. the speed of ink is too slow, it not appear right after my stylus but delay for a while. But on other app like onenote or squid are not.

This is my video when writing:

Evernote writing on samsung spen 

Hopefully evernote team will optimize it more.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/14/2018 at 6:53 PM, hocanhchuc said:

Hi i wonder anyone have the same issue like me. I am using samsung tab 10.1 spen. currently i am fan of evernote and i using it everyday to take note.

But my experience with handwriting on evernote is too terrible. the speed of ink is too slow, it not appear right after my stylus but delay for a while. But on other app like onenote or squid are not.

This is my video when writing:

Evernote writing on samsung spen 

Hopefully evernote team will optimize it more.

I have the same tablet and I have the same problem. I was going to get premium but after I saw this problem. I canceled. I hope evernote will improve the handwriting and solve this problem

• 2 months later...

Same here, I have tried handwriting in Evernote ever since I laid my hand on the Samsung Note 9. Sadly, it's simply too laggy to write. 

I love Evernote and I love S pen, really hope Evernote team would listen and help solve this issue. 

This!  Just got my Note 9 and is so laggy!  Microsoft Onenote does not have this issue.  I pay premium fee and this is unacceptable.  Also, the Android handwriting capability is aweful compared to iOS.  I HATE Microsoft but have to change because I take notes with a stylus.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same here. Brand new Samsung S4 Tab. Every app works fine (best are the Samsung apps, which I don't like). But Evernote is a nightmare. Hoped after years of usage to get finally my hands to the handwriting feature; but still ... nothing & useless. 

Had the same issue back then with my Nvidia Shield ... So this problem persist now for over 3 years.

Dissapointed Pro-User - but thank you for the "new elephant" ?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have feedback about the stylus lag on my Note 8, Note 9, Tab 10.1, Tab S4 on evernote quite some time back and I dont see any efforts to improve the lagging. Samsung Notes and Microsoft OneNote has NO lag at all, so it's defintely a software and not a hardare issue.

Am currently looking for an alternative solution that is platform agnostic and once I find it, I will delete my premium account and switch over as Evernote does not seem to be interested in fixing this lag issue.

Suggestions on any other solutions I should be looking at are welcomed.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Note 3 quite some time ago and this issue with handwriting lag was the reason I dropped Evernote and switched over to Keep. I recently got a Note 9 and decided to give Evernote another shot. The same lag is still there and it's simply unusable. Just about every other handwriting app I've tried doesn't have this problem.

• 1 month later...

Evernote would be perfect with the pen. I'm a paying user and it just does not work with the S Pen. Samsung Tab 4 is probably th best Android tablet around and it's a shame Evernote does not support its stylus.

Any hint on fix for this?

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Evernote user in several platforms. So far have taken handwritten notes in an iPad with PenUltimate using a passive JotPro stylus.

Now I own a Lenove Yoga Pro tablet (android) and the handwriting function in Evernote is simply impossible to use due to the lag. Not to mention the lack of functionalities compared to PenUltimate...

Frankly speaking, it is a shame!

• 6 months later...
On 11/21/2018 at 9:31 AM, wilkesalex said:

Same here. Another brand new S4 Tab.

I cancelled my Premium subscription a few days ago, this confirms what I did was right. 

Same thing here. I  cancelled my premium due to the terrible handwriting.  I hate having to use different apps for notes, but evernote really doesn't do the job anymore. In the old times, Skitch was kinda good, it is no more.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Philip in said:

I  cancelled my premium due to the terrible handwriting.

Is handwriting less terrible with a Basic account; imho there's no difference

>>apps that are minimally  good at handwriting.  Ever is not.

Agreed.  Evernote only offers a sketch feature, stored as a file attachment

On 3/5/2019 at 2:49 PM, egreising said:

I am a Evernote user in several platforms. So far have taken handwritten notes in an iPad with PenUltimate using a passive JotPro stylus.

Now I own a Lenove Yoga Pro tablet (android) and the handwriting function in Evernote is simply impossible to use due to the lag. Not to mention the lack of functionalities compared to PenUltimate...

Frankly speaking, it is a shame!

6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

7 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Yes, there is diference, if you use the money to purchase apps that are minimally  good at handwriting.  Ever is not. Don't get me wrong I still love evernote, but the app is lacking behind. I just wanted developers took this topic more seriously. 

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, jconway1968 said:

Anyone know if the new Note20 Ultra addesses this lag issue? Apparently it's much faster than older S Pen models. 

I doubt it is a hardware-issue. It is a software issue inside of Evernote. As I can't use EN as my daily driver, I got used to Squid. It is very responsive on my Samsung Note 10+ & Samsung Tab S4 - wheras on both devices ENs handwriting was completely not usable. Even Googles Keep has a much better responsivity. But to be honest: it got better, but is still not usable - but for jotting down notes ... I'll stick with squid.

• Level 5
14 hours ago, Zsolt.Juhasz said:

@Vincent Verbaeys 

Unfortunately not. Neither for jotting not sketching. As I stated before - this is simply a software issue, not a hardware issue. 

Not even sure EN is developing anymore, as I didn't saw any significant changes or Bugfixes.

Ist EN dead?

Puh-leeze (= Biiiiitte). ^_^ Evernote's development efforts most recently have gone heavily into the Web client beta, since that is the development ground for future improvements to the interface and editing capabilities across platforms. Please look at some of the videos in the https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/306-behind-the-scenes-series/ forum. There are definitely improvements in the works for the Android app.

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Puh-leeze (= Biiiiitte). ^_^ Evernote's development efforts most recently have gone heavily into the Web client beta, since that is the development ground for future improvements to the interface and editing capabilities across platforms. Please look at some of the videos in the https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/306-behind-the-scenes-series/ forum. There are definitely improvements in the works for the Android app.

I certainly hope this is the case.  But, as they say, the proof is in the pudding. Here's hoping for the requisite improvement.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's Oct 2020 and I cannot properly write with my SPEN (Galaxy Note 10+), too laggy - exactly as this forums describes for over 3 years. 

Is this addressed in the re-worked Android version which is coming up? If not I'm leaving Evernote.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I own Ipad 2018, Ipad Mini 5, Tab A8 2019 Spen. After long time, Android version still lagging! Why do Evernote on Ipad is smooth? Developer should answer me?

Thanks you!

PS: I am premium user for 3 years!!!

• Level 5

Maybe because Android on tablets sucks.

This has to do with the way Android manages memory. An app in Android grabs a chuck of memory, uses ist, and leaves the cleanup to the OS. Thus a good part of the processor power goes into memory management, estimates go as far as 30%. It is like having a teenager at home who drops stuff all around the place, expecting others to sort it out.

iOS is much stricter on memory: Any app is assigned memory on start, and when it closes, memory goes back into the free block. If short on memory, an iOS device will stop apps in the background to keep the active ones running.

The new EN v10 is browser based, and by this more hungry for memory than prior versions. Probably this leads to a performance issue. I have iOS devices only: With EN 10.2 it is now pretty fast on my iPad Pro 10.5, and still runs o.k. on our old iPad Air 2.

• Thanks 1