Evernote for Windows 6.12 Beta 1

Nick Nassiri

Idea

• Ex Employees

Hello Everyone,

Today we're announcing the availability of version 6.12 Beta 1. You can download it here or check for updates (make sure you've opted in to get Beta updates from Options.) 

Feel free to check it out and give us your feedback!

Thanks,
Nick and the Windows Team at Evernote

---

Release Notes for Windows version 6.12 Beta

Note: Versions 6.12 is supported in OS versions Windows 7 and up.

Improved:

• More easily manage and navigate your notebooks from the Notebooks View. You can access this by selecting 'Notebooks' from the left panel.

Fixed:

• Drag & Drop of files to and from Evernote to other apps
  • Top hang and crash issues

----

Screenshot of the new Notebooks View 

image.thumb.png.ab50a228b231349a6b5142fb3f8a9282.png

81 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, jefito said:

My typical number for things like shortcuts and other stuff that displays linearly is the famous 7 +/- 2. If I start having many more than 9, then it becomes yet another thing to manage and not easy to search quickly. I.e., not a shortcut.

Screen real estate is what drives the number for me.  I have 15 visible and 2 toe hangers.  Must admit I use the eight on the left the most so I am in line with your arithmetic.  Haven't used the toe hangers much of late, reorganized, now top 14 shortcuts visible for single click access.  Thanks for the prod.  :)

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, EdH said:

Ugh. Can confirm. Seeing it on my main monitor (laptop) and 2nd monitor when docked. Just horizontal lines, no shortcuts.

It seems sporadic. When I clicked the Sync button (just to change focus) then back to the dropdown, it worked.

Yeah, I first posted about this in the 6.10 GA thread. It seems not everyone gets it, but this bug carried over into 6.11b1 and 6.11GA. So now we have confirmation that it carried over to 6.12b1.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Nope - you get another problem - I just moved my current 38 shortcuts to the toolbar.  About 10 are visible across the page,  and if you click the double-arrow drop down at the side of the bar to see more,  I wind up with a horizontal line across all three monitors* - which is quite impressive and rather scary.  They're back on the left panel now.

Ugh. Can confirm. Seeing it on my main monitor (laptop) and 2nd monitor when docked. Just horizontal lines, no shortcuts.

It seems sporadic. When I clicked the Sync button (just to change focus) then back to the dropdown, it worked.

• Level 5*

Nope - you get another problem - I just moved my current 38 shortcuts to the toolbar.  About 10 are visible across the page,  and if you click the double-arrow drop down at the side of the bar to see more,  I wind up with a horizontal line across all three monitors* - which is quite impressive and rather scary.  They're back on the left panel now.

My typical number for things like shortcuts and other stuff that displays linearly is the famous 7 +/- 2. If I start having many more than 9, then it becomes yet another thing to manage and not easy to search quickly. I.e., not a shortcut.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

There should be ways in Evernote to make both uses cases easier to manage.

On this we agree. I still don't think there's any argument to be made for having them at all, but if others want to waste their time with them, they're welcome to. As long as there's a way for me to turn them off I'll be happy.

Of course, I don't hold much hope for Evernote fixing this. It's been in the software 4 years; clearly emojis are more important than fixing these sorts of things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, gazumped said:

And yes,  the All Notes button popped up in the last update.  When they changed what happened when you clicked Notebooks,  they needed to put the AN feature somewhere...

* Sir Terry Pratchett once said:  "Why do I have 6 monitors?  Because I don't have any room for more..."

Edit - when you minimise the left panel by the way - did you see that clicking the shortcut icon gets you a drop-down list?

Huh  My shortcuts drop down as opposed to across, only two though, on the right monitor of a two monitor set up. 

Don't know why they couldn't just put it in the notebook drop down.  IAC, now when you click on the Notebook drop down in the left panel the All Notebooks option doesn't work.  Isn't that special.

I keep shortcuts in the toolbar, so haven't seen it.  I guess I don't differentiate much between shortcuts and saved searches.  Most frequent searches are added to shortcuts with other non search shortcuts, one click access.  I use the drop down for saved searches like you use the drop down for shortcuts.  Horses for courses.

Someone once asked a golfer how he shot a 13 on a hole, he replied "I made a 10 foot putt".

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, CalS said:

IAC, if you move shortcuts to the toolbar you solve your problem

And yes,  the All Notes button popped up in the last update.  When they changed what happened when you clicked Notebooks,  they needed to put the AN feature somewhere...

* Sir Terry Pratchett once said:  "Why do I have 6 monitors?  Because I don't have any room for more..."

Edit - when you minimise the left panel by the way - did you see that clicking the shortcut icon gets you a drop-down list?

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

put All Notes at the top of the tree.

Thanks for pointing this out.  Did this just get added with this release?  I thought I was having a brain fa$% yesterday when I clicked on the icon and got all notes as opposed to notebooks.  Tried again and must have clicked the notebook icon.  Anyway, now we have a second icon that has duplicated itself in the left panel, that new icon almost indiscernible from Notebooks.  Why would that be?

IAC, if you move shortcuts to the toolbar you solve your problem.  ;)

ScreenClip.png.b57b09e11a5d621fe20d177c952bfccc.png

• Level 5*

Coming back around to the left panel view,  it occurs to me that my best arrangement would be to lose the 'new note' splotch* and put All Notes at the top of the tree.

If you have a lot of shortcuts and click the drop down arrow,  the All Notes and Notebooks can disappear out the bottom.  All Notes is my default start position,  so (to me) the most important link on that panel,  and apart from Trash,  the only one that doesn't expand with lots of sub-entries.

The fact that all the other entries can expand (a lot) means that space on that panel is at a premium,  hence my suggestion to lose the juicy green splotch.  I need to keep as many of the entries on view at one time as possible.  I don't need a visual cue for New Notes.

C'mon Evernote.  Don't make me go out there and start another feature request...  :P

* technical term

ScreenClip [9].png

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, chirmer said:

This can get really hairy. What if a tag is used in 20 notebooks? Does it show up 20x in the sidebar/tag list? IMO it's best to have the tag show up once with its full total and be done with it.

Tags, as they stand, sit outside notebooks. This is a core function of Evernote. To keep these tags separate in the note list is to suddenly have notebook-specific tags. In that case, you better roll it out as a feature for every notebook. That would mean a notebook has its own tag list. And that, in my opinion, ruins tags.

Tags are independent of notebooks (as you note), but identically named tags are  currently qualified by account owner, not by containing notebook. There are no notebook-specific tags in any Evernote client. But since you may have shared notes from one or more other accounts, you'll inherit tags from those accounts, and it may be of interest to 1) be able to get a count of notes with the account-specific tags (you can do that today), and 2) use search to find those notes (you can't do that today, at least easily).

Whether you believe they are duplicates is up to you: the fact is that they are (same name but treated identically in search) and they are are not (possibly different meaning in different accounts). It is confusing, but in my view, a user can validly wish to ignore the differences and treat duplicate as one tag, or treat them (at least for some operations) as separate tags. There should be ways in Evernote to make both uses cases easier to manage.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, jefito said:

But showing duplicate tags might be useful if for no other reason than for the separate note counts, at least to some users. It'd be an interesting experiment to see whether anyone howled, or at least noticed, if they were removed from the Windows client. I'll also note that I've see very little other forum discussion about the presence of the duplicates, so it's hard for me to gauge how others feel about them.

This can get really hairy. What if a tag is used in 20 notebooks? Does it show up 20x in the sidebar/tag list? IMO it's best to have the tag show up once with its full total and be done with it.

The Windows client is the ONLY one with this duplicate tag issue. No other client has ever shown duplicate tags nor had this as a bug. But Windows has had it for years. This is one of those feature non-parity issues that drives me nuts about the Evernote desktop clients. If they all functioned the same, it wouldn't be an issue. But because each client is developed wildly different from the others, each has their own "hot mess" pot - and this one is unique to the Windows client. For consistency's sake, these duplicate tags should just be removed. I don't think adding them to the other clients and giving them a bunch of extra features is worth it right now. Nuke them, and then if people request the feature later, consider adding it to every client. 

Right now it's just a massive distraction and a mess.

Tags, as they stand, sit outside notebooks. This is a core function of Evernote. To keep these tags separate in the note list is to suddenly have notebook-specific tags. In that case, you better roll it out as a feature for every notebook. That would mean a notebook has its own tag list. And that, in my opinion, ruins tags.

Keep Evernote functioning the way it is, and remove these dupes.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, fchandler said:

The ability to double click images and have them open in the Evernote Image Viewer appears to no longer be active. Must now have to go through the Right Click, Open, to view images. Please fix.

Confirmed.  Doubleclicking an image no longer has any effect - which IMHO is good(ish);  I'd rather it opened in your image editor of choice as well as / instead of "Open"

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dconnet said:

It's been in there for quite a while. Somewhere in the early (but not too early!) V6 releases, if I remember...

Thanks. I did finally verify that it was pre-6.12 by RDP'ing into my work machine over the weekend, which handn't updated yet, but forgot to circle back and edit my post.

I guess the real change is the new Notebooks page. It'd be nice to know what the thinking / direction is there. Doesn't seem quite fully baked yet.

On 4/15/2018 at 9:02 AM, EdH said:

Once again, installing a newer version of Evernote has removed all of the toolbar icons I added for the Note View, reverting back to the Share and Info icon only.

The bug is in the old version - if that wasn't shut down in a way that flushed its data to the registry, the settings would be lost. Going forward, that should no longer be an issue.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:51 AM, jefito said:

Is the "Shared" item in the left panel a new thing, or did I just never notice it? Seems to be a list of shared notebooks (both 'from' and 'to')...

It's been in there for quite a while. Somewhere in the early (but not too early!) V6 releases, if I remember...

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, chirmer said:

The Mac client does not and has never shown duplicate tags, so my suggestion would be to do what they do - just have it show up the one time

But showing duplicate tags might be useful if for no other reason than for the separate note counts, at least to some users. It'd be an interesting experiment to see whether anyone howled, or at least noticed, if they were removed from the Windows client. I'll also note that I've see very little other forum discussion about the presence of the duplicates, so it's hard for me to gauge how others feel about them.

They can't be nested as is - they won't move. I can nest the normal tags, but then the dupes float out there looking ridiculous.

Sure; I noted that. And offered a couple of options: allow them to be nested too, or display them all together with the separate note counts.

Clicking them returns the exact same result as if I'd clicked the non-shared version. So as they stand, they are functionally redundant.

For search, yes, also as noted. For other than search, perhaps not, because of the separate note counts.

They don't do anything special, and if anything, are a half-functional shadow of the main tag. The solution is to get rid of them altogether.

Or maybe support them in search, if the distinction among duplicates is deemed to be useful. Since there's no guarantee that they mean the same thing, it's potentially useful to be able to differentiate between them in search. When collaborating with others, of course you want to build up a shared tag semantics, but that if conflicts occur, there should generally be a way to get around them. Of course we all know that search has historically changed rarely, but with the advent of Spaces, they're almost certainly going to need to make changes there.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, jefito said:

Sure, I've noted this for at least that long myself. The question is, what does "fix" mean? On one hand, tags are just text strings with no intrinsic meaning; tag searches succeed with tags that have the same name regardless of where they come from. On the other hand, they are separate items in some contexts like the tag tree and tag view. For example, duplicated tags denote different pieces of information (note counts with that particular tag). And the duplicates may reside in different locations in the tag tree (that didn't use to be the case; not sure when it changed), although unfortunately external tags can't be nested. Is it useful to treat them as separate items? Yeah, I think so; I can imagine that the note count thing is helpful to some users.

Me, I don't really get bothered by that stuff any more; I started worrying more about organizing my notes rather than spending time organizing my tags. But I do sometimes think about what else might be useful for this case. Maybe a mode where external tags aren't shown in the tag tree and tag view? How about being able to nest external tags? If the tags have different meanings (despite being spelled the same), maybe the user should be able to organize them as well, so as to produce a navigation tree. Or how about listing identical tag names on a single line of the tag tree (with separate and aggregate note counts) if they aren't separated in the tree? E.g. mytag (123), mytag (jefito)(28), (total 151)?

What are your ideas beyond just 'fix it'?

The Mac client does not and has never shown duplicate tags, so my suggestion would be to do what they do - just have it show up the one time. They can't be nested as is - they won't move. I can nest the normal tags, but then the dupes float out there looking ridiculous. Clicking them returns the exact same result as if I'd clicked the non-shared version. So as they stand, they are functionally redundant. They don't do anything special, and if anything, are a half-functional shadow of the main tag. The solution is to get rid of them altogether.

There's no reason to build more features into them, either. They only exist because they're used in a notebook Shared by someone else. "notebook:name tag:name" search gets the same result as theoretically clicking one of these in the sidebar. It's a waste of time to build this feature in. Just nuke the dumb repetition in the tag listing and be done with the matter :)

• Level 5*

Can anyone confirm whether horizontal lines work properly in 6.12b1? Especially someone running Windows 7.

This bug was introduced ~6.8 and persists through 6.11. It's a time-waster, requiring lots of trial and error to get a horizontal line inserted where you want it, and then preventing said line from disappearing when you edit another part of the note. Very frustrating. I'm sure the notes I've created or edited since this bug was introduced are littered with horizontal lines I cannot see.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, EdH said:

Is anyone able to just create a new note and start typing away? Here is what happens for me, every time.

Note: Settings in Options are: Create new note in new window, an set focus to note title, and all of the Sync settings are checked.

1. Press New Note button in toolbar
  2. New note opens in new window, with cursor in subject
  3. type subject
  4. tab key to get in note body
  5. Start typing
  6. Maybe get 4-10 chars typed, then my cursor is moved back to the note title and the remaining chars I am typing become part of the note

I didn't see this when using either the  "New Note" hotkey (Ctrl+N) or the green '+' button. maybe is a timing issue in the code that monitors the keyboard for an opportune moment to update some stuff (e.g. 'last edited status', or note title, etc.)??

• Level 5*

It is an issue that comes and goes with releases. Disabling new window defeats the purpose for me as then I have to manually open it once I get started. It is some combination of new note and the sync, but the fact of the matter it is a bug that keeps popping up every few builds and has for quite some time, and it is back again in 6.12 b1.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, EdH said:

Is anyone able to just create a new note and start typing away? Here is what happens for me, every time.

Note: Settings in Options are: Create new note in new window, an set focus to note title, and all of the Sync settings are checked.

3. type subject
  5. Start typing
  6. Maybe get 4-10 chars typed, then my cursor is moved back to the note title and the remaining chars I am typing become part of the note
  7. I have to backspace to delete them, and click back to where I was in the note to keep typing
  8. half the time Evernote freezes for 10-30 seconds while it does whatever it is doing when it doesn't want to let me do what I want to do.
  9. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

This seems like a core function of the product, yet it fails miserably. Short video of this attached. 

Evernote Jumping Back to Title.mp4

I usually disable the option to create a new note in a new window and don't have this issue. I tried enabling this option and did not experience the issue you described - the focus did not switch back to the title. That said, I am running 6.11 GA. Is this something you are first experiencing with 6.12 beta 1?

I seem to recall a similar issue in the past, where the focus was jumping around relative to the note title; can't remember if it was the same as what you describe.

• Level 5*

3. type subject
  5. Start typing
  7. I have to backspace to delete them, and click back to where I was in the note to keep typing
  8. half the time Evernote freezes for 10-30 seconds while it does whatever it is doing when it doesn't want to let me do what I want to do.
  9. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

This seems like a core function of the product, yet it fails miserably. Short video of this attached. 

Evernote Jumping Back to Title.mp4

16 hours ago, EdH said:

Has been around since at least 6.10. It is getting better, but blank note syndrome still persists in current betas. 

Cheers for the feedback.

I actually think the namecard notes could be a great feature collecting all info about guys you work with, etc. but it feels so undeveloped. Most people have contact info in, say, MS Outlook / Exchange or Google or some business card manager app thingy. Nevertheless, it would be great to have one place to store meeting notes, etc. pp. But to me it feels like there is some connectivity/Value added missing to make this feature work "properly". Besides that it is not even working properly...

Emoji team? :ph34r:

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, dconnet said:

Huh... This seems highly dependent on the tags... Whenever I was looking at this, my dev and personal accounts were all behaving. But my biz one shows this. But it doesn't for my boss... Anyways, we have a bug tracking this now.

thanks.

On 4/15/2018 at 5:55 AM, EdH said:

Is there a plan to fix the Tag View so it doesn't have so much white space, and fix it so it doesn't jump over columns as you scroll to the right?

Huh... This seems highly dependent on the tags... Whenever I was looking at this, my dev and personal accounts were all behaving. But my biz one shows this. But it doesn't for my boss... Anyways, we have a bug tracking this now.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Maddhin said:

a new bug: I used the scannable app on iOS to scan business cards and make notes. In 6.12b1 those notes just show as blank note. They show once the note is opened in separate window. After opening in separate window, they would also show again in normal view... -> same as with the PDF viewing issue before.

Don't know if this is new to 6.12 or has been there for a while now.

Has been around since at least 6.10. It is getting better, but blank note syndrome still persists in current betas. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, tavor said:

Can anyone confirm whether horizontal lines work properly in 6.12b1? Especially someone running Windows 7.

This bug was introduced ~6.8 and persists through 6.11. It's a time-waster, requiring lots of trial and error to get a horizontal line inserted where you want it, and then preventing said line from disappearing when you edit another part of the note. Very frustrating. I'm sure the notes I've created or edited since this bug was introduced are littered with horizontal lines I cannot see.

They are working for me, Windows 10 Pro though.  Either using the edit toolbar or the Shift+Ctrl+- hotkey.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, jefito said:

Is your status bar enabled (View / Status bar)? That's where I see the note counts. Well, that plus the search info panel. Was it somewhere else?

It was in paren next to "all notes" just like each notebook as the note count in paren.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, gazumped said:

I discovered that a shortcut to a Stack gives you a collapsible link to all the notebooks in that stack,  so Shortcuts are my way of jumping between notebooks where I need to do so.  I also have a combination of links to saved searches,  single notes and tags to jump to different areas of activity.  On a good day it's my main tool for navigating around the database.  But "whatever works for you..."  -YMMV!  :)

I mainly use Ctrl+Q with saved searches as the most accessible shortcut function, as they are accessible even in a single note window. That combined with "Scroll left panel item into view" in Options, I quickly get access to everything relevant instantly.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, tavor said:

What app are you using to pixelate screenshots like that?

What was/is EN's Skitch, built into Windows EN desktop.  Right click on an image and select Annotate This Image.  You can add arrows, boxes and lines, highlight, pixelate, and crop.

a new bug? I try to show / open a note which contains an encrypted segment but EN always crashes... Can anybody confirm this is a general bug?

EDIT: OK, forget this bug - false alert. It was just EN repeatedly crashing in general. Not sure if that is better but, no encryption bug:blush:

a new bug: I used the scannable app on iOS to scan business cards and make notes. In 6.12b1 those notes just show as blank note. They show once the note is opened in separate window. After opening in separate window, they would also show again in normal view... -> same as with the PDF viewing issue before.

Don't know if this is new to 6.12 or has been there for a while now.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, CalS said:

10-4.  I typically just use All Notes, Scans or Inbox for notebooks.  I kinda have one click shortcuts across the top and two click shortcuts (saved searches) down the side.  Fun how we all go at it to suit our own eye.  TMI I know.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.2b5fe002168aebbfb1a2a4212063e85e.png

What app are you using to pixelate screenshots like that?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, FactMan said:

\Sarcasm\ Doesn't look like it - in fact, the opposite seems to be happening - the white space increases in proportion to the build number. Soon we will need a 6 foot wide monitor just to fit two columns. \sarcasm\

can we fill the white space with emoji then?

• Level 5*
On 4/15/2018 at 8:55 AM, EdH said:

Is there a plan to fix the Tag View so it doesn't have so much white space, and fix it so it doesn't jump over columns as you scroll to the right?

\Sarcasm\ Doesn't look like it - in fact, the opposite seems to be happening - the white space increases in proportion to the build number. Soon we will need a 6 foot wide monitor just to fit two columns. \sarcasm\

• Level 5*

I discovered that a shortcut to a Stack gives you a collapsible link to all the notebooks in that stack,  so Shortcuts are my way of jumping between notebooks where I need to do so.  I also have a combination of links to saved searches,  single notes and tags to jump to different areas of activity.  On a good day it's my main tool for navigating around the database.  But "whatever works for you..."  -YMMV!  :)

10-4.  I typically just use All Notes, Scans or Inbox for notebooks.  I kinda have one click shortcuts across the top and two click shortcuts (saved searches) down the side.  Fun how we all go at it to suit our own eye.  TMI I know.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.2b5fe002168aebbfb1a2a4212063e85e.png

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, CalS said:

Screen real estate is what drives the number for me.

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You're late to the discussion on the New Note button, this was added a while ago. 

- The button and location (sidebar) is common across the platforms.
- There is no option to hide the icon.

This was the first time I'm testing a new beta, and the New Note button was the first weird thing I've noticed. I'm still using version 6.5.x (I think) on my main computer.

If they don't want to get rid of this button, then at least they should provide an option to hide it.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, EdH said:

The Notebook View seems to be so slow as to be unusable.

I'll second that - everything else opens up with reasonable speed but the new notebooks view takes a-g-e-s to load.

Testing this new beta.

My concern is the new Notes and notebooks view.

Everything looks ok, until you try to open up a note.

No matter how I try to open the note, I get a default new note.

Is there a solution to this problem.

1 hour ago, EdH said:

The Notebook View seems to be so slow as to be unusable. Clicking has a 2-3 second delay. Doing the same in the task bar to the left is instant. This is on a Surface Pro 4 with an i5 and 16GB of RAM.

Even clicking on the "Notebooks" icon to get the view takes 2-3 seconds to show the notebook view, and then it doesn't remember what you had expanded, so you have to start over.

And even though I am not sure why I'd use this in it current state, should it become somehow more useful than the side bar, it should be in the View menu as well, like Tag View.

Confirmed.

When you select a notebook, the notebook opens with a short delay.  However, when I click on "Notebooks" to return the view, the program hangs. 

Hopefully, this will be fixed in the next beta.

• Level 5*

AARRGGG!!!!

This is still reminding me every. single. time. I move a note to a shared notebook. Please PLEASE PLEASE let us disable this warning. It ceases to be useful warning after about the 30th time.

• Level 5*

The Notebook View seems to be so slow as to be unusable. Clicking has a 2-3 second delay. Doing the same in the task bar to the left is instant. This is on a Surface Pro 4 with an i5 and 16GB of RAM.

Even clicking on the "Notebooks" icon to get the view takes 2-3 seconds to show the notebook view, and then it doesn't remember what you had expanded, so you have to start over.

And even though I am not sure why I'd use this in it current state, should it become somehow more useful than the side bar, it should be in the View menu as well, like Tag View.

• Level 5*

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, GreenTea13 said:

For some reason the word count bar keeps disappearing. When I select a different note the word count will appear and disappear within a few seconds. (see attached image)

I've tried restarting the program as that's what normally fixes this problem before now, but that's not working for me now.

a71f2939ccc84f296f984e37527a9ad5.gif

Yes it does.  Known error.  Next?

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, jefito said:

Two guesses: Either they fixed the the highest priority ("top") hang and crash issues, or "Top" is a fat-fingering of "Stop"...

One more I can think of. As any reader of British mysteries should know, "top" is a synonym for "kill" or "murder". You can take it from there...

• Level 5*

Once again, installing a newer version of Evernote has removed all of the toolbar icons I added for the Note View, reverting back to the Share and Info icon only.

Can you get the Emoji team on this bug?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, jefito said:

Is the "Shared" item in the left panel a new thing, or did I just never notice it? Seems to be a list of shared notebooks (both 'from' and 'to')...

I saw it in some previous release, when I opened the left panel, for backups..  Contained a few notes that I had never shared.  Fixed them and it went away.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, Rubinstein said:

The New Note button is too big. Is there a way to hide it?

It also seems misplaced, the left panel should only be about existing content. Why is this button not on the toolbar?

You're late to the discussion on the New Note button, this was added a while ago. 
- The button and location (sidebar) is common across the platforms.
- There is no option to hide the icon.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Don't know if it's this update,  or the new Notebooks view highlighted it for me,  but I have a notebook called 'Shared Notes' which (by some coincidence) contains all the notes I share with others - usually by URL. 

That notebook,  and all the notes therein now say they can be viewed by "Only Members",  and checking some of the notes they're no longer shared...  :huh:  Not a big problem in this context,  but if that's the general experience,  there could be some important no-longer-shared stuff out there.

Two other notebooks,  which do have the double-silhouette icon against them in the notebook drop-downs,  also show as 'Only Members' on the notebook page,  but ARE shared with others.  :wacko:

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

I wonder what "Top Hang" means. Couldn't find it in Google search or Wikipedia.

Two guesses: Either they fixed the the highest priority ("top") hang and crash issues, or "Top" is a fat-fingering of "Stop"...

• Level 5*

Good question.  I rarely have the left panel open, but I see the count in the search information box after selecting all notes.

ok, so at least is there, but why remove it from the left panel? Why not just remove ALL note counts from all of the folders too? (PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT! - but just asking why remove the total but not the individuals?)

I never don't have the panel open. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, chirmer said:

Fix the duplication of tags in the Tag list from Shared notebooks. I reported this back in 2014 (FOUR years ago) and still no fix. I mean, seriously you guys. Come on.

Sure, I've noted this for at least that long myself. The question is, what does "fix" mean? On one hand, tags are just text strings with no intrinsic meaning; tag searches succeed with tags that have the same name regardless of where they come from. On the other hand, they are separate items in some contexts like the tag tree and tag view. For example, duplicated tags denote different pieces of information (note counts with that particular tag). And the duplicates may reside in different locations in the tag tree (that didn't use to be the case; not sure when it changed), although unfortunately external tags can't be nested. Is it useful to treat them as separate items? Yeah, I think so; I can imagine that the note count thing is helpful to some users.

Me, I don't really get bothered by that stuff any more; I started worrying more about organizing my notes rather than spending time organizing my tags. But I do sometimes think about what else might be useful for this case. Maybe a mode where external tags aren't shown in the tag tree and tag view? How about being able to nest external tags? If the tags have different meanings (despite being spelled the same), maybe the user should be able to organize them as well, so as to produce a navigation tree. Or how about listing identical tag names on a single line of the tag tree (with separate and aggregate note counts) if they aren't separated in the tree? E.g. mytag (123), mytag (jefito)(28), (total 151)?

What are your ideas beyond just 'fix it'?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, chirmer said:

I would rather do the View as Attachment method myself... I refuse to juggle windows for Evernote's sake.

Makes sense, two monitors here so not so much window juggling.  Also, for whatever reason I just have an aversion to using show as attachment.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, CalS said:

May be more work, but I've taken to using the download arrow in the new PDF viewer, saving to desktop, dragging/dropping and then deleting from desktop.  The triple D process, Download/Drag/Delete as opposed to the Single D process, Drag.   :(

I would rather do the View as Attachment method myself... I refuse to juggle windows for Evernote's sake.

Fortunately for me, I was just greenlighted to get a Mac at my workplace, so I will be saying goodbye to the Windows client shortly. I won't miss it.

• Level 5*

I am not thrilled I have to View As Attachment the PDF before I can drag/drop it.

May be more work, but I've taken to using the download arrow in the new PDF viewer, saving to desktop, dragging/dropping and then deleting from desktop.  The triple D process, Download/Drag/Delete as opposed to the Single D process, Drag.   :(

• Level 5*

I am thrilled it's at least possible to drag/drop PDFs and images again. I am not thrilled I have to View As Attachment the PDF before I can drag/drop it. Doubles the steps necessary to get a PDF out of Evernote. However, it's doable, and with the state Evernote is in currently, I'll take what I can get.

The new notebook view sucks. Scrap it and move on. Seriously, what a terrible idea! Being able to see the notes in Notebook view is A) redundant with the regular note view and B) a lag-infested mess. A notebook of 400 notes ground the app to a halt. I didn't even touch my main notebook of 6k.

And who the heck asked for this? Who wants this? Can we get some refocusing with the Evernote team, please? Stop rolling out new C R A P and fix the good stuff EN has that you broke. Why on earth was this even made? 

Here's my list of priorities:

1. Fix the ABYSMAL tag situation in Shared notes. It's a disaster. Whomever "owns" the notebook is the only one who can add new tags to notes. WTF? Solution: Have a base list of permissions for those with whom a notebook is shared. Boom, easy.
    1. View Only
    2. Add New Notes (current settings, not modify tags)
    3. Full Edit Permissions (same as notebook owner)
  2. Fix the duplication of tags in the Tag list from Shared notebooks. I reported this back in 2014 (FOUR years ago) and still no fix. I mean, seriously you guys. Come on.

ScreenClip.png.d27eada8c815a83175af12fd55411149.png

3. Fix the appearance in Card View of notes with no text and just PDF content. This is awful to try and read.

image.png.d7b6a068185ae3e83fad171161a30ba9.png

These are all items you have already built into Evernote that drastically need to be fixed. Stop rolling out new junk and fix the things you've already committed to.

Sincerely, 

An actual user

EDIT: I'm choosing not to comment on the fact that I can't get rid of that stupid emoji in the forums, right after the new "feature" was added to the client...

I'm not having any problems with 6.9. I tried 10. I tried 11 which came up with zero notes and insisted it would download them all over again. Reverting to 6.9 magically found them. I just tried 6.12 where the first time it ran it went "Not responding" for a minute-and-a-half and the second time NR lasted 5 minutes before I restarted the system, uninstalled 6.12 and reloaded 6.9.

I try them all but most versions don't last very long. I have nothing really important stored and it's just a hobby, not work-critical stuff, so I can always restore the previous night's backup if things go bad. Still, I expect "Not responding" from Corel stuff (every 5 minutes or so,) not EN, so that was a bit of a surprise.

6.12 is worse again for me. My EN keeps freezing regularly now.

There is also something weird going on with formating - especially in lists and tables, where some formats just seem to get stuck. E.g. after adding a internal note link, the text sometimes stays underlined green even though choosing blank and not-underlined; even in front of the link. In tables, e.g. once text is highlighted, it has to be un-highlighted one cell at a time. If you mark text which includes underlined and non-underlined text and click the underline button, the underlined text becomes non-underlined and vv. - very fun to play with (the first time!) but a pain if you want to work.

And another comment regarding emoji: EN's way to handle the note "signature" picture is a pain and it would be so great to have Right click on image >> Set as thumbnail image. Wouldn't that be something productive to implement if time is available and not emoji? Wouldn't that be a REAL help in formating notes? I doubt this feature is that difficult to implement but has huge effect on day-to-day working efficiency.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, EdH said:

Why was total note count removed in Windows?

Is your status bar enabled (View / Status bar)? That's where I see the note counts. Well, that plus the search info panel. Was it somewhere else?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:
  • Just take a look at the snapshots attached - When you click on a Note, and click 'Save attachments to Folder', this is not working. This was a long working and very useful feature.
  • Next if you click on an image inside a note, and try to save it to windows, the EN client should ideally, save file.png , or file.jpeg or something like this. Now try saving an image from EN into Windows, and you end up getting only garbage that if you click as save, Windows says that he can't even recognize the format of the file. I have to manually enter some file.jpg, only then it gets saved on Windows.

I just tried both of these, and they worked fine for me. Must have been doing something different that you, but they both worked straightaway...

• Level 5*

Color code/underline/italics or some sort of visual ID any tag that is shared, whether same as an own tag or not.  Let the tag appear once, be movable in the hierarchy, and have totals be for all.  Some sort of show me tags that are shared to me capability, ditto a search option.  Has always seemed counter-intuitive to be shared a notebook and at the same time create a small level of chaos in your structural view.  FWIW.

Wonder how Spaces is handling this as it seems to be focused on collaboration and sharing.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

I have over 26,000 notes, though I am not positive about that as all of the "improvements" have now removed my total note count. :angry: But I am sure that has something to do with the lack of any usable speed in the notebook view.

Oh, just checked it on my iPhone. 26,128 notes. 

Good question.  I rarely have the left panel open, but I see the count in the search information box after selecting all notes.

• Evernote Expert

You know honestly, the Evernote team should just shut shop and stop putting up this farce of having a testing unit and so on.. Agreed Beta;s when new features will have issues. But each release keeps breaking long existing features, and then we will need yet another 6 months before this issue is fixed.

1. Just take a look at the snapshots attached - When you click on a Note, and click 'Save attachments to Folder', this is not working. This was a long working and very useful feature.
  2. Next if you click on an image inside a note, and try to save it to windows, the EN client should ideally, save file.png , or file.jpeg or something like this. Now try saving an image from EN into Windows, and you end up getting only garbage that if you click as save, Windows says that he can't even recognize the format of the file. I have to manually enter some file.jpg, only then it gets saved on Windows.
  3. The Webclipper on Gmail has been broken for long. Just wont work. I submitted logs and snapshots and screenshots for over 20 days back, and i got a ticket number, saying that a tech guy would get back to me. And all this, even after i mention that i am an Evernote Certified Consultant, Yet, Still no response. I can seriously pity the free Evernote user.

And umpteen freeze bugs. As far as i know the Android Client on Evernote is amazing. Totally rock solid. The IOS is kind of okay, the unwanted upgrade broke the client ( as always when we upgrade ), but it is some what okay. The Windows is a total night mare. Right from Version 5, the search doesnt respond fast enough, and millions and millions of micro freeze bugs, either at the editor side, or when you move a note to another notebook, or something or the other..

BugReport1.png

BugReport2.png

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, EdH said:

it is random. Mine has stuck before, but way more often than not, they get whacked. It got whacked this morning, so the stars were simply aligned for you this weekend.

Similar experience. Sometimes upgrades reset the Note toolbar, and other times my Note toolbar configuration gets carried over.

• Level 5*

Notebook view is unsuable for me as it hangs for a minute everytime I click Notebooks and when I try to use the view...

I also agree that work should be put into Tag view instead... Especially the search box, which is useless and should work without any delay just like Tag picker and Ctrl+Q, and not like a real time filter..

• Level 5*

You know what I'd like to see for all new features? the thread that had at least 10 upvotes from users requesting said new feature.

• How much time was spent on this new Notebook view?
  • How many users requested it?
  • Could that time have been used to fix the mess that Tag View is?
  • Could that time have been used to add a format painter?
  • Would my version report total note count in the side bar had Notebook View not been added?
  • Could that time have been used to fix the note toolbar that keeps deleting preferences?
  • Could that time have been used to reduce the freeze EN does in just one area?
  • Could that time have been used to fix the bug where you are typing on the first line of the note and you are magically transported to the subject line and have to delete some text, click back in the note where you were, and resume typing?
  • Could that time have been used to reduce the time I spend looking at a blank white-space when I open a note while Evernote does whatever it does before showing me the body of the note? I am sure the emoji engine is looking for stuff to emojify before rendering the page....
  •  

I could go on....

this is just so frustrating. This used to be my favorite product. Now I grimace every time I use it and these annoying things get in the way of me taking/making notes

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, CalS said:

Mine stuck this time.

it is random. Mine has stuck before, but way more often than not, they get whacked. It got whacked this morning, so the stars were simply aligned for you this weekend.

• Level 5*

No snark here, honest question.  What is the purpose of the notes in the new notebook view?  if you have any significant number of notes I don't see any reason one would look at them herein.  Must be related to Spaces I suppose, just don't see what the intent is.  Must be missing something.

I have over 26,000 notes, though I am not positive about that as all of the "improvements" have now removed my total note count. :angry: But I am sure that has something to do with the lack of any usable speed in the notebook view.

Oh, just checked it on my iPhone. 26,128 notes. 

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, EdH said:

Can you get the Emoji team on this bug?

Mine stuck this time.

• Level 5*

No snark here, honest question.  What is the purpose of the notes in the new notebook view?  if you have any significant number of notes I don't see any reason one would look at them herein.  Must be related to Spaces I suppose, just don't see what the intent is.  Must be missing something.

Archived