DRSmithPMP

Requesting Duplicate Notes Search Function across one/many folders

Idea

As a member for more than 6 years - I have often wished for an effective duplicate note(s) search /display function.

Sometimes when clipping web pages, duplicates are created - and/or imported files into Evernote are duplicates (without any notification of this in advance of importing)...

Regardless of the reasons for the duplicates;  it seems amazing that this feature is not available - at least an highlighting and presentation of the duplicates notes for subsequent "manual" cleanup...

Not a trivial exercise for me to manage without a duplicate search function given there are over 50,000 entries in the Evernote DB.

With some basis of technical capabilities as an enterprise IT pro of over 30 years , please consider how to include this feature/function in the not too distant future...

Many thanks,

David 

5 replies to this idea

Hi.  Duplicate note searches have been requested,  but I don't see the point.  If and when I see a duplication from an active search,  I'll delete the duplicate.  It does me no active good to do so,  other than to thin down my 'found' list and the overall database size (very slightly).  Why bother to do a specific search?  It will take time to find and verify any duplications - which may then prevent my needing to delete some duplications in future.  And duplications may be difficult to verify sometimes if the same page has been copied at different times.

There is already a method for finding exact duplicates in Windows - set List view.  Make sure you have Title and Size columns active.  Select that view and Ctrl+A to copy all.  Copy and paste to spreadsheet.  Sort on title and find duplicates...

• Like 1

Update:

Following up to this - from a practical perspective with a collection of over 75K plus notes in catalogue - please consider that this does not really work using a manual approach...

... Unless of course I do nothing but Evernote dedupe for this next 2000 hours...

Cheers!

Still not satisfied,

David

Moved to the feature request forum

To indicate your support fot this request, use the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion.

I too would like a feature that would eliminate duplicates. I can't find anywhere in the discussion groups where the company has fixed this, although I have found several people requesting it.

3 hours ago, defitz said:

I can't find anywhere in the discussion groups where the company has fixed this,

Hi.  Fixed what exactly?  The fact that a user might see a web page,  and think it's worth clipping,  but forget that s/he already clipped it a year ago?  Without doing a detailed search of the current database before completing the clip,  there's no way to tell whether that is true - and the extra 30 seconds that will add to a clip - plus the additional "This page was already clipped 11 months ago - clip anyway?" further confirmations would annoy the spots off a number of users including me.  Better to delete duplicates if and when you find them in my view...