Update to Evernote Subscription Plans

On 4/20/2018 at 3:11 PM, sdadell said:

For your information, I have posted in forums and voted for the feature. This original post includes the statement "We believe gathering customer feedback will help determine what those needs are." I was simply providing my Premium customer feedback to help identify a need since they asked. Thank you for your constant monitoring and interest in the forum.

:lol:

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, Etonreve said:

I started with Basic, upgraded to Premium, but probably have had a Plus subscription at some point.

Here's my feedback.

I care most about:

Interesting, no mention of the subscription cost.

>>Elaborate formatting of notes is not important to me, if needed, I  would use a program designed fo r complex formatting.

This is also my viewpoint; the Evernote editor is what it is. However I  have access to many editors, and a note can include files of any format.

>>Upload capacity

Also critical to me.  I don't need the Premium limit, but I cant survive with the Basic limits.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DebiB said:

If Evernote is still standing firm on their decision to remove the Plus option for new customers, you might want to let Francesco know.

I guess they are, as I just looked and indeed only Basic and Premium are listed. 

The more I think about it, the more it is disappointing to learn this approach is viewed as perfectly acceptable versus gathering the customer feedback first and then making a change, whatever that change may end up being. Or has been mentioned, the intent was something other than was communicated...which does make more sense the more I think about it...otherwise, what would the justification be to remove Plus...if it was so unpopular, anyway.

I have also begun to wonder if anything we have written here will be read... As I re-read the OP, it wasn’t directly soliciting any feedback and there hasn’t been a subsequent post by @Shane D. since. I also just looked at the date of the post and realized I was very late to the game—really struggle with making time to read the Forum. And, I guess posted to this thread is not a good use of my time! :wacko:  I learned something, anyway...a few things...but one big one—to pay attention to the OP date!! :D

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Interesting, no mention of the subscription cost.

I'm not overjoyed by the Premium subscription cost, but if holds steady, the program works, and Evernote is forthcoming about problems, I'll take it. Life's too short. 

I'm tempted to downgrade from Premium to Plus before the option disappears. The only thing I might miss in downgrading is the expanded search capabilities. However, though I thought my Premium cost would go up when they changed the pricing, for some reason I've always only been charged $45 for Premium renewals. Thought then that it might have been a one-time thing, but my account states that renewal of my Premium subscription in July will charge $45 to my card. So, if I'm somehow grandfathered into $45/year Premium, I'm content to stay at that higher level.

Anyone else seen theirs stay at the lower price?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, 2fifty6 said:

The only thing I might miss in downgrading is the expanded search capabilities.

I'd be very surprised if Premium has a better search than Plus - unless you're talking about indexing and searching inside PDF and Office files.  You'd also miss out on being able to step your notes back with Note History.  Obviously we don't know if any new deal will include email support - you might have to rely on us (:o) and @EvernoteHelps for any issues.

NB if anyone else has an unusually sweet subscription deal it might just be a bad idea to mention it here...  ^_^

11 hours ago, 2fifty6 said:

I'm tempted to downgrade from Premium to Plus before the option disappears. The only thing I might miss in downgrading is the expanded search capabilities. However, though I thought my Premium cost would go up when they changed the pricing, for some reason I've always only been charged $45 for Premium renewals. Thought then that it might have been a one-time thing, but my account states that renewal of my Premium subscription in July will charge $45 to my card. So, if I'm somehow grandfathered into $45/year Premium, I'm content to stay at that higher level.

When the price increase was announced I was angry not to be offered the lower price for Premium as some other Premium users were. I went down to Basic and started using OneNote. After a few months I was offered an upgrade to Premium for 45 USD. On app, there's a date for my renewal, but it's grayed out so I can't see what the charge will be. 

How long do Premium users have the option to downgrade to Plus? 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Etonreve said:

How long do Premium users have the option to downgrade to Plus? 

There's nothing official but I locked in right away, effective at the end of my current subscription.

That's not to say there won't be changes before then

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

NB if anyone else has an unusually sweet subscription deal it might just be a bad idea to mention it here...  ^_^

I just re-upped, but at the $69.99/year rate... :( ...feelings of unlove...

Kidding, I'm actually OK with that. Now if we start running coffee tariffs, that would seriously hurt...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, 2fifty6 said:

My re-enlistment is real soon and the new rate will be $69.99 so consider yourself fortunate.  I'm thinking real hard about dropping to Plus.  I'm now on 5 apps that charge annually and it is starting to add up..

• Like 1

IDK, it's at a rather remedial-level to expect $8 a month. ..plus so many bugs that I don't trust it with certain data.
Business Card feature doesn't work on ios(tested a few days ago).
The backend code cleanup on the windows app, that <hr/> header-line-breaks fail to render and this is easy to make happen, but impossible to revert and then add another.. so entire notes need rebuilding to get hr's properly placed..UGH!
Then the same issue can cause tables to not render in the note panel.
the sorting of notes = broken until exit->restart..

.. I'm getting a headache thinking about all that is just delivered broken to users ...yet you guys are thinking a "tier" is the problem. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, SpaceName said:

yet you guys are thinking a "tier" is the problem.

I'm thinking Account Tiers is the topic of this discussion.

Some users seem to think the topic is; Boohoo, Evernote's so bad.

On 4/12/2018 at 4:04 PM, Shane D. said:

.. For current Plus subscribers, nothing will change..

Plus member last 8 years. Due to a number of (some serious) problems with EN versions after v6.7 I have been unable to upgrade to all subsequent versions through EN 6.11 GA. Tech support keeps saying production is working on it, but still no fixes. Support added 30 points for my trouble, which makes little difference if I can't use EN because of the problems. Anyway, I cashed them in for Premium. I suppose EN will not honor my right to be grandfathered back into Plus after my 3 months of (free) Premium. Although, EN should.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, RgaDawg said:

I suppose EN will not honor my right to be grandfathered back into Plus after my 3 months of (free) Premium. Although, EN should.

You can "suppose" any negative thoughts; or you can check your subscription page.

Perhaps you should offer certain features on an a la carte basis  (like Trello does) rather than a bundled subscription. Most of the complaints I see here about Premium are that it contains only one or two features they need. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, funkygrrl said:

Perhaps you should offer certain features on an a la carte basis  (like Trello does) rather than a bundled subscription. Most of the complaints I see here about Premium are that it contains only one or two features they need. 

I doubt that they'll do that, particularly in light of the fact that they just made a move to simplify their pricing plans, from 3 down to 2. But hey, you never know.

But in the interest in generating feedback for them, what would you suggest would be the a la carte feature sets?

9 minutes ago, jefito said:

I doubt that they'll do that, particularly in light of the fact that they just made a move to simplify their pricing plans, from 3 down to 2. But hey, you never know.

But in the interest in generating feedback for them, what would you suggest would be the a la carte feature sets?

Extra space for one. That's pretty much the only extra I need at this point. As I add more and more to EN, I am beginning to use up my storage. I don't need any premium features, but would be willing to pay something for extra storage. Just like Google offers with drive.

One other feature I'd considered was a receipts manager. I know an app/extension exists for that but I haven't gotten around to looking at it (just like my taxes, lol). But if it was beyond a basic solution, I'd pay extra.

Evernote's greatest strength - its versatility - is also its greatest challenge, because there are so many users with very different needs. You have individuals using it for things like research, dissertations, small businesses, giant corporations, project management teams, etc. That's why I suggested a la carte, or at least different types of bundles for different populations. I just don't think there's going to be a one-size-fits-all solution that makes everyone happy. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, funkygrrl said:

One other feature I'd considered was a receipts manager. I know an app/extension exists for that but I haven't gotten around to looking at it

This is off topic for the subscription plans and should be addressed as a separate feature request post.
I'm interested in details on the requirements and the app/extension.
I manage my receipts using the general features; scripting; and export to a spreadsheet.

On 4/28/2018 at 4:20 PM, DTLow said:

You can "suppose" any negative thoughts; or you can check your subscription page.

The announcement made it seem the change was immediate. But, it did let me downgrade. Thanks

I just started using EN on 4/12 as a Basic user and found that it's an app I'd like to use and grow into. I looked into the pricing plans and couldn't justify the Premium price but decided tonight I'd sign up for the Plus plan. What a bummer, that the option is gone? So I guess chalk one would-be Plus user up to remaining Basic, or just doing away with adding anything else to the app until they figure out if they'd like a Plus user fee more than a non-paying/non-user. I was just bragging about the app to friends and how I was going to sign up for Plus. Unfortunately, I guess we are both out of luck. :(

Since EN knows I just started using their program, it would have been wise to let me know I had 30 days to upgrade to Plus or Premium before taking the option completely away. If I can still get a Plus subscription, the powers that be will know how to contact me. @Shane D.

It kind of feels like that moment in Pretty Woman...where Julia Roberts said, "Big Mistake," as she reentered the store after spending her money elsewhere. I'm ready to spend EN.

• Like 1
On 5/4/2018 at 10:31 PM, Tink said:

.. chalk one would-be Plus user up to remaining Basic, or just doing away with adding anything else to the app until they figure out if they'd like a Plus user fee more than a non-paying/non-user..

@Shane D.

It kind of feels like that moment in Pretty Woman...where Julia Roberts said, "Big Mistake," as she reentered the store after spending her money elsewhere. I'm ready to spend EN.

* Not an EN employee. It's never coming back (I'm grandfathered into Plus user). I've been EN paid subscriber for about 6 years or so, and never really needed more than basic-free, but upgraded my subscription many years ago just because I thought the app was good enough to deserve my support. I have been unable to upgrade now since v6.7.. stuck at that version due to serious flaws in all subsequent versions, read the forums, you will see lots of problems. The kind of problems you will see I *never* have with all of my windows client software, word processors, local note apps, lots of other apps. There are many persistent problems in EN release versions since 6.7 up through 6.11 GA. Many of them don't get fixed. Version 11 some some of us (I don't know how many) have validated a issue where our notes can't be edited at all. This issue persists through the current v6.12 beta 2 as I checked. I would say a very serious flaw. Tech support said the problem has been confirmed and that "production" was working to find a solution. It seem pretty important to be able to edit a note. I have never had any issues with EN until the versions past 6.7. I would suggest you to be very careful here. Start basic, go through a few updates. See if you catch any problems. Don't invest too many important notes, because you can't get them back if something goes wrong with basic, with Premium you can access a history (carefully manipulated limitation to push customers toward Premium). I have a lot of important notes and have always had unquestionable confidence with EN, except for the last 5 versions. At some point EN is going to stop supporting Windoze 7 (understandable), which I plan to keep well after 2020, or at some point they will need to revise the dB and I won't be able to advance past v6.7.. Just my 23 cents :)

I hate to sound so negative, but EN has always been on the top 3 list of most important app on my PC, after eMail, browser, EN .. and latest updates and failure to address some of the issues has got me starting to ask what options do I have. EN is a very nice app, But so many problems lately that I have never seen before in 6 something years

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting thread - thank you to the contributors.

I started using OneNote in 2007 (I think that may have been when it started) and found it fantastic, and used it for 7/8 years. I only moved over to Evernote because of the webclipper, it took a while to adopt my OneNote structure to Evernote, but eventually I became a big Evernote fan and more recently moved to currently being a Premium subscriber for the higher upload allowance. 

I have 2 problems with this subscription level. Firstly as a personal user I don't really use any of the enhanced capabilities of Evernote Premium. Secondly, for the last 2 months I have exceeded even Premium's 10G monthly upload, and frankly I find it a bit rich to be paying a premium subscription yet have my functionality suspended for half the month.

As a result of reading this thread I decided to cancel my auto-renew subscription. I was pleased to see that one of my options was to subscribe to Plus, however I can't see myself ever doing this - it's only 25% cheaper than Premium and I lose the one thing that I want - a big monthly upload. So at the end of my subscription I will revert to a basic user and if I can't make that work I will export my notes to the free OneNote which will integrate with Office and Onedrive.

I will be sad to lose my tags, and I love Evernote, but OneNote has caught up with Evernote's cloud ability, and I know from my experiences 10 years ago that it does a great job too.

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, 3v3rn0t3 said:

for the last 2 months I have exceeded even Premium's 10G monthly upload

IMHO this volume is excessive for a typical user.  I'd be interested in more details on your use case.

I'm following Evernote's subscription changes, and one possibility is a cost more directly linked to our storage requirements.  At one time, we could purchase extra upload credits.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

IMHO this volume is excessive for a typical user.  I'd be interested in more details on your use case.

I'm following Evernote's subscription changes, and one possibility is a cost linked to our storage volume.

You are probably right! The premium subscription encouraged me to use Evernote more and try new (for me) things. I started using the import folder, and using Evernote for storage instead of Dropbox or my own NAS. Certainly the 1st month breaching the 10G limit was due to mistake and uploading some media files that I hadn't meant to, but the second month was just ordinary usage AFAIK (plus of course the hangover from the 1st month whilst my account was suspended).

I'm doing OK this month (being on holiday for a week helped!) - 1/3rd through the month & 5% through the Upload.

My Databases folder on this PC is 16.8G 

If I may make a suggestion for tiers of pricing:

Evernote free: 200MB monthly limit, 25MB note size, sync 3 devices. The free tier needs to be a bit more appealing to attract customers. Too limited currently. Alot of people have a phone, tablet, and computer and so want to try the syncing across 3 devices.

Evernote Premium: Keep features as is, lower price to be 4.99 a month or 50 a year. Keep in mind you are competing against FREE services.

Evernote Productivity: All premium features plus: Bring back a presentation mode that works seamlessly across all devices, introduce Spaces for personal accounts, continue to invest in-note productivity tools like tables, flowcharts, simple charts, annotation overlay, note history for mobile, and calendar integration. Create an really simple yet elegant Evernote app on Apple TV for presentation mode (don't need all my notes here just a few I have marked for presentation). Raise the monthly limit to 20 GB, and 1GB note limit. Pricing $7.99 a month, or $80 a year.

Evernote business: All of the above, plus higher monthly and note limit. Unlock more business oriented presentation options.

Deliver more value and people will come to your platform. Also, don't underestimate how seriously security and privacy are taken. These are at the cornerstone of your business. 

Let me know if you a want more feedback or just want to hire me for help. ?

• Like 1

I would never have subscribed to Evernote if it wasn't for the Plus option, I don't need most of what the Premium option has to offer, and theoretically could go back to a free membership if Plus was eliminated and Premium remains expensive, though it would be somewhat of a hardship to go back now.

The real clincher for me is how Evernote has been gradually removing popular features, like night mode in iOS for example, one of the main reasons I never subscribed to Premium in the first place, I truly hate the colors chosen which cannot be changed.  It literally took me years to start using Evernote seriously because of the green on white thing.

So, if users will never be given the option to control colors, then night mode is a minimum to consider Premium a possibility, but still Premium seems geared to business users rather than personal users like me.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that you should keep Plus subscribtion, but maybe to make the price lower if you want to attract more users from Basic. I think that Premium is too much expensive when it's compared to alternatives, so I don't think that this move will attract more users from Basic or Plus to switch to Premium.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any updates? I'm concerning to upgrade my account but the premium plan is extremely expensive and IMO not worth it for me as a new user. I'd like to use Evernote on more than 2 devices but I don't need these premium features. My suggestion is medium tier for eq. 5 devices - 1GB and offline editor for mobile devices, the fair price for such a plan is +/- 2$ per month or 20$ a year, II Medium for 5 Devices and 5 GB for 3$ or 30$ and a full premium +/- 4.5$ and 45$.

If you think that it's not enough, You should take into account that OneNote, Apple Notes, Bear(excluding some features) are free.

• Like 1

This is such sad news for me. I know that little me may not interesset you, but I just got to tell you how I feel about this. I've been using Evernote for 6 years. At least half the time as a premium subscriber. 

When Evernote hiked prices in 2016 I was decided to go the Plus-route since I found it to be too expensive for how little I used the app, but I was offered one year subscription at half price. Since I forgot to unsubscribe I took another turn this year as at premium user. Fair enough. Since my plan initially was to go with the Plus tier I unsubscribed from premium earlier this year, so I wound't just take another round unintentionally.

My premium subscription plan is running out in a couple of days, so I though I'd better check out the Plus prices only to find out that this tier now was gone. And since I already unsubscribed I am not able to choose Plus as many of you in here already have.

Even though I'd like to support Evernote I just can't justify the price of premium for my kind of use and therefore must look for alternatives at Apple and Microsoft. It's not that I can't afford it, but I really cannot justify it. I think it's such a shame that THIS is going to be the reason that I have to somehow part with Evernote. At least for now. But I am just not given a choice. Well, I am given the choice to pay 70 dollars or nothing, which is not much of a choice to me.

From the outside it looks like you want to clean out your customer base, but I don't understand why. Because the tier isn't popular?

I see some of the veterans praising Evernote on this forum and on reddit have been grandfathered into the Plus tier. Why aren't you telling Evernote that it's a bad idea to cut down on the very same tier that you now benefit from? Shouldn't new users have the same opportunity? You know that criticism from the core user base is important to keep a good business from self resonating?

• Like 1

The removal of the Plus tier is such sad news for me. I know that little me may not interesset you, but I just got to tell you how I feel about this. I've been using Evernote for 6 years. At least half the time as a premium subscriber. 

When Evernote hiked prices in 2016 I was decided to go the Plus-route since I found it to be too expensive for how little I used the app, but I was offered one year subscription at half price. Since I forgot to unsubscribe I took another turn this year as at premium user. Fair enough. Since my plan initially was to go with the Plus tier I unsubscribed from premium earlier this year, so I wound't just take another round unintentionally.

My premium subscription plan is running out in a couple of days, so I though I'd better check out the Plus prices only to find out that this tier now was gone. And since I already unsubscribed I am not able to choose Plus as many of you in here already have.

Even though I'd like to support Evernote I just can't justify the price of premium for my kind of use and therefore must look for alternatives at Apple and Microsoft. It's not that I can't afford it, but I really cannot justify it. I think it's such a shame that THIS is going to be the reason that I have to somehow part with Evernote. At least for now. But I am just not given a choice. Well, I am given the choice to pay 70 dollars or nothing, which is not much of a choice to me.

From the outside it looks like you want to clean out your customer base, but I don't understand why. Because the tier isn't popular?

I see some of the veterans praising Evernote on this forum and on reddit have been grandfathered into the Plus tier. Why aren't you telling Evernote that it's a bad idea to cut down on the very same tier that you now benefit from? Shouldn't new users have the same opportunity? You know that criticism from the core user base is important to keep a good business from self resonating?

PS. I also posted this in the community announcement forum, but think that it belongs here too.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  We're a -mostly- user supported forum though Evernote staffers do read all the posts.  There is also a specific thread about the removal of Plus.  The original announcement did state that Plus was being removed because it wasn't "as popular" as had been expected.  As a Premium user (if you still are) you would have been better served using your priority access to email support* to explain the position to Evernote CS and see whether they can offer any suggestions to get you back to Plus.

If you can still submit a ticket please do so and post your ticket number here so we can flag it for an Admin to come look.  (They are Evernote,  so they'll be able to follow up.)

(If you're out of Premium membership you should still be able to raise a ticket for 'payment issues'.)

* via https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new, or https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if that link won't work for you. 

EDIT:  I'll go delete your 'other' post on this subject - please only ever post stuff once...;)

EDIT EDIT:  I think someone already did that - can't find it anyway...  :wacko:

Dear gazumped,

Thank you for your answer. I will try get through to the team. Though it doesn't chance anything on a general note I may be able to continue as an Evernote subscriber. I am a little confused about the ticket thing, but will use your link for now. 

Edit: So I have now a ticket number 2592337...

Hope I'm getting thought.

• Like 2

My Premium subscription expired. I'm not sure I can justify the money to renew it. I mainly use Evernote for the space, of which I only consume a fraction. Many Premium features are of no use to me.  I really could have used the Plus-level option.

I'm very dissapointed to see that evernote plus is going away. Now if people need the functionality of Plus, they will be forced to pay double for Premium with functions that they don't need, and won't use.

You said that "we need to find a better solution to meet your needs", but you're removing the option? That don't make any sense. Removing options to force people to buy premium is clearly not a solution, unless the real problem is that you want to get double the money.

Plus has the functionality that i need. If i had to choose today, and would be forced to pay for Premium, no doubt i would consider other services.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2018 at 12:00 PM, rolands6 said:

My premium subscription expires next month. Today I could downgrade to Plus! No warning that Plus does not exist anymore.

On 7/15/2018 at 9:10 AM, fsr said:

I'm very disappointed to see that evernote plus is going away. Now if people need the functionality of Plus, they will be forced to pay double for Premium with functions that they don't need, and won't use.

I suggest you contact Customer Service. I did recently and had a good outcome. I had had a Premium subscription and the interface had not given me the option to downgrade to Plus. After my subscription expired, I contacted CS to see if I could get Plus. They said that I could, but that there were no guarantees that Plus would be continued in the future. At the same time, I was offered a reasonable discount on Premium, so I re-subscribed to Premium.

All I care about are note saving, retrieval, adequate storage (Basic's is too paltry), and organization. I would also like more notebooks.  I'm not interested in many of Evernote Premium's other features, such as showing notes in a presentation format or work collaboration.  But Premium at a reduced price was justifiable for me. I hope that Evernote in time can work out a permanent tier that offers the features that people like me want at a price less than $70 a year.

For now, I'm back with Evernote for another year at the Premium level and am delighted.

5 hours ago, Etonreve said:

I suggest you contact Customer Service. I did recently and had a good outcome. I had had a Premium subscription and the interface had not given me the option to downgrade to Plus. After my subscription expired, I contacted CS to see if I could get Plus. They said that I could, but that there would no guarantees that Plus would be continued in the future. At the same time, I was offered a reasonable discount on Premium, so I re-subscribed to Premium.

Good idea, thank you. I wil do and let you know what happens.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, rolands6 said:

Good idea, thank you. I wil do and let you know what happens.

This is their answer:

Evernote Plus has slowly been removed from out check out pages but may still show for some people. Now you will continue to renew into Plus until the subscription is terminated or the payment method is updated.

Thank you it has been an absolute pleasure using your Evernote Plus price tier, however as long as I am able to renew it I will use it only as a casual user on the Evernote Plus price tier. I thought rather than use the free basic I would pay you a reasonable fee as I am fair minded and I was nudged along when Evernote reduced the number of devices.

However your Premium feature set is overkill for me in particular, in other words it’s an extreme over reach the effect of this is customer isolation meaning I am using an app that no longer aimed at my use case and is a completely different/seperate Aplication

I will never use it professionally, I just wanted an option outside the 3 big conglomerates Google, Apple and Microsoft that I could turn to, however unpopular I am with you on your Plus tier price plan the fact is I don’t need to be on Evernote, however when i stop so will 30 plus others because they use what i do. If you follow the logic less options means less chooser.. 

By the way Plus is only unpopular because you pay Apple or Google approximately 30% if you offered your renewals by email

you could allow an extra 10% to your profit margin!

Evernote is very good at what he does, I would say that he is the most efficient at mixing elements within his notes, but time passes and does not evolve. If they decide, excuse me, if they have decided to eliminate the Plus of their offer, at least it seems to me that continuing to use it blindly is not the most sensible in the long term because they can change the rules of the game and I will be forced to reinvest a long time in a possible migration. What will happen in the future? Well I think the elephant will be even more voracious to the point that it ceases to be an alternative available to my pocket. In fact, the last few years have begun to chew the tail and the most likely to implode within their own digestive system. What I want to say is that access to Evernote has gone uphill and will continue to lean even more, from outside I get the impression that it is a poorly profitable company and is desperate to be what the myth said it was. So it is a good time to see alternatives to the future (today there are none), but with this decision, the motivation of other programmers to launch a more appropriate and economic alternative (such as the proliferation of password managers) will increase. Definitely this decision has taken away all security in me of keeping everything forever. By the way, I now understand that feeling of a second or third client every time the message appears that updates to premium in the Windows client. Evernote does not love me anymore.