Drag and Drop of PDFs form Evernote to emails / explorer

Aloys55

Idea

The drag and drop function of Evernote is in version 6.11.2.7027 (307027) Public (CE Build ce-43.0.4829) still not repaired or re-added.

This is a critical missing feature since drag and dropping PDFs is central in our workflow (and used based on access to the correct files using the great search functionality in EN in 3600 notes).

I don't see the advantage of the new PDF viewer: it is less intuitive user interface and more load on the user because of the back frame (changing per note).

Therefore a repeated requests to restore this functionality. Updating to newer builds are not possible do this critical change.

19 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Seems to be fixed in the current beta 6.14.3 - no idea how soon that will make it to a GA version,  but it's in the works...  Just tested D&D from attached PDF file (right-click to select icon) to both Outlook and Gmail and local desktop.

Don 't know, still can't just drag a PDF from EN like in the old days using the old PDF viewer.  ☹️

• Confused 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, gazumped said:

This feature request currently has 1 (one) vote.  It wouldn't hurt to add a lot more to see if Evernote is paying attention...

Full context, this issue has appeared many times in different threads since the new PDF viewer was installed.  Had something to do with the old viewer didn't play nice with the new environment EN was migrating to.  Why the new version didn't include DnD is another question for feature deprecation.  Anyhoo, the most recent version includes a copy in the drop down.  One step closer but not quite there as yet (from one who truly misses the old DnD icon of the old viewer).  So there may be some hearing going on.  ?

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you read the 6.11 release thread,  this has already been reported and revisions requested.  Currently (it's posted there, I think) downdating to 6.7.5 will give you the function back for the meantime.

Hi, thank you very much for your reply and advice. We are now stuck at version 6.7.5 (we didn't upgrade any more) given the disappearance of the drag and drop functionality. It rather unfortunate that as a paying (2 accounts) user we are not able to make use of the current improvements of EN and being left in the dark. I have not enough time to follow all release threads, and I expect that EN should not change critical key functionality (not being able to drag and drop is a time machine back to the early days of DOS software). Kind Regards, Louk

As of today I am forced (they blocked the syncing of EN6.7) to upgrade to 6.13.14 and still the drag and drop of PDF files doesn't work. This is a critical missing feature since drag and dropping PDFs is central in our workflow (and used based on access to the correct files using the great search functionality in EN in 3600 notes).

The absence breaks many work flows and makes EN a programme that is going backwards in development.

EVERNOTE must repair this.

This is very annoying.

Drag and Drop of PDFs form Evernote to emails / explorer

A work around could have been to able to right click an PDF in order to copy it and than to past it back to where it is needed. Also this functionality is not available for PDFs. This is making it even worse

EN please resolve  this as soon as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Level 5*

Hi.  Seems to be fixed in the current beta 6.14.3 - no idea how soon that will make it to a GA version,  but it's in the works...  Just tested D&D from attached PDF file (right-click to select icon) to both Outlook and Gmail and local desktop.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  In one of the other (many) threads about the recent security upset Austin G confirmed that the newly-patched 6.7.6 is the last version of the 'old' PDF viewer with normal DnD operations.  6.8 onwards is the 'new' viewer where DnD doesn't.  (Unless you're in Attached mode...)

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Austin G confirmed that the newly-patched 6.7.6 is the last version of the 'old' PDF viewer with normal DnD operations.

How well I remember the good old days.... 

19 hours ago, CalS said:

How well I remember the good old days.... 

Yes the good old days. I tested EN 6.14.3 for PDF handling. It shows that  DnD only works if the PDF is viewed as attachment (in windows right click the PDF and select attachment). I found that in this version in the view mode it is now possible to right click and copy the PDF and past it to outlook or explorer. It starts working, however the nice intuitive DnD as in the good old days is still missing. I keep EN reminding as well as hoping that DnD should be made as intuitive as it was in the good old days.

• Like 1

Drag and Drop of PDFs form Evernote to emails / explorer is not working as it should

6.15.1.7690 (307690) Prerelease (CE Build ce-53.0.6285) With hope I upgrade to 6.15.1 and still the intuitive way of moving a file from EN windows to other applications is not working. I am aware that changing the view to 'view as attachment' does the trick but is not intuitive needs a lot of extra clicks (and breaks work-flows).

The issue is noted by many users. I don't understand why EN refuses to listen to its (paying) users??

• Level 5*

It seems the DnD option is not baked into the 'new,  improved' PDF viewer.  Having (presumably) spent a lot of time and effort on that change,  I'd guess Evernote is reluctant to just give up and change back - if indeed they can,  given that everything from OS's to devices has evolved around them.  Developing the viewer may be outside their purview (vague pun intended) so we could also waiting for a third-party developer to add the right hooks to make this possible.  As with everything Evernote,  changes will happen when they happen.

This feature request currently has 1 (one) vote.  It wouldn't hurt to add a lot more to see if Evernote is paying attention...